US Army’s logistics agency launches autonomous cargo aircraft study

Started by FARRIER, January 23, 2012, 06:58:48 PM

Patterson

Great....

One day the cargo is apples and oranges, the next it's terminators. 

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

It's been said before and I agree, the last "fighter pilots" have likely already been born.  It took about 50 years to go from props to jets, and another 50
to turn airplanes into a transportation system (and then transform that system into flying Greyhounds, yech).

+50 more and the majority of transportation in this country, ground vehicles included, will be pilotless.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on January 25, 2012, 04:21:32 AM
It's been said before and I agree, the last "fighter pilots" have likely already been born.  It took about 50 years to go from props to jets, and another 50
to turn airplanes into a transportation system (and then transform that system into flying Greyhounds, yech).

+50 more and the majority of transportation in this country, ground vehicles included, will be pilotless.

So I'll never get to be 70 and drive on the freeway at 30mph while wondering why these young whippersnappers are going so fast, because my car will hand me a bottle of prune juice and drive me to my destination while I look at the billboard for Mable's homemade flapjacks and remember what it was like walking to school barefoot in the snow uphill both ways.

Too bad, I think being a geezer in the onramp could have been exhilarating (once) >:D.

In other news, upon rereading this post, I think it's time for bed...

Eclipse

'night gramps.

I also think the need for travel is going to be greatly reduced.  Telecommuting is a common practice already, teleprecense will
reduce having to actually go anywhere for business needs, and (hopefully), the overcrowded urban areas will force the
issue of mass transit on a legit scale.

I'll be sad to give up my bike, but as to cars and trucks, I'm over it.

"That Others May Zoom"