Main Menu

squadron commander?

Started by shlebz, December 21, 2011, 07:43:50 PM

Flying Pig

Quote from: Private Investigator on January 12, 2012, 01:35:21 PM
Quote from: bosshawk on January 12, 2012, 01:39:30 AM
I certainly agree with the concept of picking your successor and training him/her for the eventuality.  However, in my 18 years in CAP, I could count on one hand the number of commanders(Sq, Gp or Wing) who actually did this and the results certainly showed that lack. 

I disagree. When I was in the postion to select Squadron Commanders I always wanted to interview at least three people for it. You will never know where your talent is. 

The problem with handpicking your successor is the "good ole boy syndrome". I.e. a Squadron that is a "flying club" will want to continue with a Commander that will go along with that activity. How about the Commander who picks his wife to succeed him? You know he has 'control' issues.

I disagree.  The Grp Commander, and I believe up to the Wing CC ultimately choose.  Interviews?  As a SqCC I already know my people.  Im interviewing you every meeting night whether you know it or not. I could interview as a formality, but as a SqCC I already have my go-to members. And of those, I pick my replacement.  I formally knew who was going to replace me at least a yr before I ended.  And I "informally" knew who my successor was going to be the day I took command.  And my Squadron is booming.  Then and now.  So it seemed to work out just fine.

lordmonar

Term limits or no term limits.

We should always developing our officers.....whether they are candidates for command or not.  That is simply one of the jobs of a senior officer.

As Flying Pig said.....it is the WING/GROUP commander's job to choose a sucsessor for a sitting commander.  So most definatly they have to be in the process of grooming the new commander.

And if this happened more often....we would have less problems with commanders getting appointed before they are ready.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

TBT

In our wing commanders serve a 3 year term. Term limits allow for some commanders to leave without causing irreparable damage. Comments from either the commander or his/her staff, like: We don't do it that way. I don't like that. He won't like it. Don't waste your time. Unit/command can become stagnant. Commander's can burn out and not realize it. Ever see a commander who says "Do it because I told you?"  Three years will seem like an eternity. If you hang around long enough. When everyone realizes there is a term, it can motivate those who are dedicated and serious about forward movement and improvement to "hang in there" and wait them out. New blood. New vision. Renewed motivation to a unit who may have long since lost their will to recruit and perform to even the most basic of standards. Term limits are good. The good ones, can and should move up. I've personally been a commander of eight different units. Been there, done that!