Aircraft Dispatcher? What/Who Are They

Started by flight dispatcher, January 21, 2007, 02:38:16 AM

flight dispatcher

Guys:

I see pilots and on a rare occasion, A&P's referenced on this board when it comes to talking about aviation professionals. There is another FAA certificated airman that too many have not heard about. Its the Aircraft Dispatcher. Even though required for FAR Part 121 operators, they are also used for Part 135 and Part 91 operators (Fractionals). I did this for over 8 years. Even some airlines gate agents were clueless in what we did. I will post some of the info from the Aircraft Dispatchers Federation website (Reference www.dispatcher.org):

Job Description of the AIRCRAFT DISPATCHER

The Aircraft Dispatcher is a licensed airman certificated by the Federal Aviation Administration.

He/She has joint responsibility with the captain for the safety and operational control of flights under his/her guidance.

He/She authorizes, regulates and controls commercial airline flights according to government and company regulations to expedite and ensure safety of flight.

He/She is also responsible for economics, passenger service and operational control of day to day flight operations.

He/She analyzes and evaluates meteorological information to determine potential hazards to safety of flight and to select the most desirable and economic route of flight.

He/She computes the amount of fuel required for the safe completion of flight according to type of aircraft, distance of flight, maintenance limitations, weather conditions and minimum fuel requirements prescribed by federal aviation regulations.

He/She prepares flight plans containing information such as maximum allowable takeoff and landing weights, weather reports, field conditions, NOTAMS and many other informational components required for the safe completion of flight.

He/She prepares and signs the dispatch release which is the legal document providing authorization for a flight to depart.

He/She delays or cancels flights if unsafe conditions threaten the safety of his/her aircraft or passengers.

He/She monitors weather conditions, aircraft position reports, and aeronautical navigation charts to evaluate the progress of flight.

He/She updates the pilot in command of significant changes to weather or flight plan and recommends flight plan alternates, such as changing course, altitude and, if required, enroute landings in the interest of safety and economy.

He/She originates and disseminates flight information to others in his/her company including stations and reservations. This is the source of information provided to the traveling public.

He/She has undergone extensive training to have earned the coveted Aircraft Dispatcher's certificate having taken and passed both an extensive oral examination and the  comprehensive Dispatch ADX test, administered by the Federal Aviation Administration.  These tests are equivalent to the same Air Transport Pilot (ATP) written and oral examinations that an airline captain must successfully complete.

He/She participates in frequent and detailed recurrent training courses covering aircraft systems, company operations policy, meteorology and Federal Air Regulations as required by the FAA.

History of the Profession:

The profession of Flight Dispatcher has evolved with the many changes that the aviation industry has undergone. In the early years of aviation, it was standard practice for pilots of commercial airlines to load the mail, passengers, and cargo get into their airplanes and fly from point A to point B. They had no preplanned flight plan, little if any weather information, nor any firm plan of action in case conditions changed enroute. The pilots, in those days, would take off and head in the general direction of their planned destination, with no more than a compass and known landmarks to help them along the way. If weather, mountains, trees, or even power lines didn't get in their way they were able to find their destination. In the early days aircraft had very little navigation equipment, no usable communication equipment, nor did the airlines have any reliable method of tracking flight progress from the ground. After years of increasing accidents which were growing more costly in terms of equipment and lost lives the state and federal authorities sought to put the fledgling industry on safer ground through regulation.

In 1938, the Congress of the United States passed the Civil Aeronautics Act. This legislation laid down strict regulations to ensure that all air carriers operated in as safe a manner as possible. The establishing of this act created an operational control structure consisting of a system of checks and balances which, when complied with, produced the highest level of safety possible for commercial airline operations. One result of this regulatory action was the creation of a new Airman Certificate. The Aircraft Dispatcher was created.

The Aircraft Dispatcher was and is a ground based, licensed individual who, according to the regulations, shares responsibility with the pilot for the safe conduct of each flight. The regulations have been modified, amended, consolidated, clarified, and re-coded, but the concept of shared responsibility between the pilot and the dispatcher for safety has always remained. This concept in regulation has become the model for many other countries which have adopted similar regulations for governing air commerce in their jurisdiction. The concept of operational control has been found to be a sound enhancement to air safety. The Aircraft Dispatcher is known by many names. At some carriers they are known as Flight Dispatchers, or Flight Superintendents, or even Flight Controllers (not to be confused with Air Traffic Controllers). No matter what the name, the function is the same; ensure compliance with all applicable regulations and the pursuit of the highest possible level of air safety.

In 1944, after World War II had already demonstrated the abilities of the airplane to get people from point to point, another step in establishing a standards for this new industry called Air Commerce was taken. That year ICAO, the International Civil Aviation Organization was formed. ICAO is an organization of nations whose purpose is to standardize international aviation regulations and to propose recommendations and norms for its member states.

Today, by regulation all United States scheduled airlines operating aircraft having more than 9 seats are required to maintain an appropriate number of dispatch centers staffed by FAA licensed Aircraft Dispatchers. The Dispatchers in these centers maintain operational control over thousands of flight segments a day throughout not only the United States, but around the world. Many of these Dispatchers, working for different carriers, exercise this control over flights operating literally on the other side of the globe. This is made possible by the advances made in recent years in telecommunications and computer technology. The Dispatcher now has the capability to discuss the operation with their flight crew whether they are over head, over the Atlantic Ocean, or over the western Pacific. This capability has greatly enhanced the safety of operation by enabling the Dispatcher to forward to the flight crew any changes in destination weather or field conditions, enroute weather or wind changes which could adversely effect the operation. Compared to the early days when the best the pilot could do, on his own, was to head in the right direction, we have indeed come a long way. The over all safety record of the industry bears this out

RiverAux

Never heard of this.  I suspect that they are so few in number that hardly any CAP people have run across one.  Most CAP units are in non-commercial airports and even those based at commercial airports probably don't have a dispatch center nearby. 

However, they sound like a group that would be great for targeted recruitment. 

lordmonar

Or more importantly...a great place to take your cadets and SM's on a AE field trip.

Let's meet the Aircraft Dispatcher!

I always new that they existed and that they are very important to the Airline industry.  Howeve..I have always heard about them from Pilots who were often less than pleased with their dispatcher.

The pilot is primarily responsible for the Aircraft while the dispatcher has to worry about both safety and economy.

I'd like to find out more about this type of work.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JAFO78

Aircraft Dispatchers are used by the airlines. Sun Country here in Minneapolis has 2 on duty at any time, and I believe Northwest as 2 offices loaded with them. One is also here in Minneapolis, and the other is in Tokyo. Tokyo handles all NW flights west of the International Date Line.

Mesaba, Champion, and Pinnacle have them here also. America West / US Airways has dispatchers in Phoenix & Charlotte but has load masters in every city to go over flight plans and weight & balance issues with the pilots.

If you have any more questions on airlines you can PM me or send me an email. I would be happy to answer them or email any of my many friends who work for the airlines.
JAFO

flight dispatcher

lordmonar:

If your still located in Nevada, Both Scenic Airlines and Allegiant Air is located in Las Vegas.

flyguy06

I've definantly heard of Flight Dispatchers

flight dispatcher

"Aircraft Dispatchers are used by the airlines"

Part 91 operators (Fractionals) such as Flexjets, Netjets, and corporte flight departments such as Pfizer also use certificated dispatchers, even though the regulations do not require them.

flynd94

Flight Dispatchers some you love some you hate.  I work with them everyday being a part 135 freight pilot.  The ones you hate are the ones who tell you how to fly your plane, argue with you when want extra fuel, tell you the weather isn't that bad or, question every move you make.  We only have one dispatcher like that at my company   >:(  they others are okay.
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

flight dispatcher

flynd94:

If I may ask, who do you fly for? PM if you like.

Kindest regards.

flynd94

Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

JohnKachenmeister

The Flight Dispatcher is someone who, after the crash, is still alive to blame.
Another former CAP officer

ammotrucker

There are many things that a FAA Aircraft Dispatcher does very noteably stated above by Flight Dispacter. 

I am one of those guys that hold that license.  I see same comparasons to that and AOBD.  I see a lot of value in taking cadets to this type of operations and letting them see how things work. 

As, to recuirting these folks in CAP, I think that most would refrain.  A&P's Pilots and Radio licenses get you added bonuses when becoming members.  NOT Sircraft Dispatchers, 

When my Group ES officer waited 68 days to approve my AOBD, which I think is a direct corralation to Aircraft Dispatch with some veriations.  I was told basically so who do you think you are.

He was also an AOBD.  I asked him this question.  When was the last time you handled 200 flights on the same day.  Or have you every been responsable for more then 312,000 flights in your life.

I don't beleive that everyone is cut from the cloth that makes a good dispatcher, but and i hope that I was/am not in the same category as the one's who tell you how to fly the aircraft.

By, the way 30 minutes after that my group ES officer signed off, he is an Airline pilot.
RG Little, Capt

JohnKachenmeister

Bob:

So, what do you need to do to become an aircraft dispatcher, training, testing, etc.?  I believe you have to be a pilot and pass the ATP written, but not the ATP checkride. 

Do you have to be certified in types of planes?

Do you need a degree, or can a flight attendant bid into the job and pick it up OJT?

Not many of us know what's involved, and if we did, we could be in a better position to advise cadets.  (And younger officers).

SJFedor

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 08, 2007, 06:26:56 PM
Bob:

So, what do you need to do to become an aircraft dispatcher, training, testing, etc.?  I believe you have to be a pilot and pass the ATP written, but not the ATP checkride. 

Do you need a degree, or can a flight attendant bid into the job and pick it up OJT?

Not many of us know what's involved, and if we did, we could be in a better position to advise cadets.  (And younger officers).

My school has an aircraft dispatcher program (along with CTI, Pro Pilot, Aerospace Admin, and Aircraft Maintenance) and i'm told it's both pretty intense, and pays pretty well. I only know a few people that are in the program, I'll make a point to ask more about it.

http://aerospace.web.mtsu.edu/home.htm

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

ammotrucker

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 08, 2007, 06:26:56 PM
Bob:

I went through 8 weeks of intensive training at a private comm school of Fort Lauderdale Fl. 

The licensing test is nothing more then the ATP written and ground practical.  Leave the aircaft to the pilots. 

No you do not need to be licensed to operate an aircraft.  At times it helps to understand what is going on.  But, once licensed you must do 5 hours each year in the type of aircraft that you are rated for. 

Rated for is just the same as with pilots in the airlines.  I am rated for 727-200, ATR 72 and ATR 42 Shorts 360.  This said almost all dispatchers are intially qualified 727-200 as the ATP test is based on the aircraft or was at the time I received it.

Again, once your apply and are accepted to an airline you must know all the aerodynamic factors that influance the aircraft, all the maintenence that would penalize the aircraft along with the weight and balence of each. 

We send are newbies to basically the same ground training at the airline as the pilots.  For systems and the such.  Then most airline would then place you with an OJT for a number of months. 

This is not normally something would get the on a bid line to get into.  Most in fact require you to fund your training then accept a bid line after.  But, there are a few around such as ATA.

There is no need to be a degreed person, although it is helpful when it comes to study habits. 

I will say this, it is a stressful job.  When weather is going to s**t, looking and finding the alternates for your 2-3 flights for the majors to 10-15 flights per hour at the commuter level.  You need to be methodical in the way that you appraoch it.

You deal with everything from Crew sheduling to irrate pilots who think they need to max fuel on a 45 minute flight at the expence of bumping 15 pax.

It is an interesting job.  Again not all people would be cut from the right cloth do it.

In case you wanted to know started with NorthWest Airlink, American Eagle which was then Simmons Airline, Then AA.

RG Little, Capt

star1151

Quote from: flight dispatcher on January 21, 2007, 02:38:16 AM
Even some airlines gate agents were clueless in what we did.

Somehow I don't believe this.  I thought everyone in aviation knew what dispatchers are.

(not sarcasm, by the way)

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: star1151 on November 09, 2007, 04:11:36 AM

Somehow I don't believe this.  I thought everyone in aviation knew what dispatchers are.

Some of the airline gate agents are also clueless about what THEY do!

ammotrucker

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 09, 2007, 02:49:01 PM
Quote from: star1151 on November 09, 2007, 04:11:36 AM

Some of the airline gate agents are also clueless about what THEY do!

I agree but when in my case for most of my time, I was in a subterrian basement .  so most people never seen that part of the operations.  Pilots would as they would come down if at my location to argue there point for changes to the dispatch release.  Some even got it done.

But, while I say that as a dispatcher you have to look at the flight safety, maintence, pax load, weather, system wide delays, then be constantly aware of your company ploicies and FAR and such  that most feel constraint on how thing can be acheivedand to get done what most pilots want..

Tags - MIKE
RG Little, Capt