Main Menu

We're Building a UAV

Started by ♠SARKID♠, November 08, 2011, 11:25:22 PM

JetDriver777

Sweet.   if you need any technical assistance let me know.  Ive been flying the FPV planes for years...  anything i can do to help

davidsinn

I think this is a really cool AE project.

If you wanted to dual purpose over to ES I think a more practical "over the horizon" DF platform for a ground team would be a balloon with a 200' tether and a camera and Becker hanging underneath.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: davidsinn on November 11, 2011, 03:17:29 AM

If you wanted to dual purpose over to ES I think a more practical "over the horizon" DF platform for a ground team would be a balloon with a 200' tether and a camera and Becker hanging underneath.

All of my balloons are going to be taken up for my high altitude antenna, one for the RC plane, one for regular commo.  But that's another thread  ;)

davidsinn

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on November 11, 2011, 04:16:28 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on November 11, 2011, 03:17:29 AM

All of my balloons are going to be taken up for my high altitude antenna, one for the RC plane, one for regular commo.  But that's another thread  ;)

Nice.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Major Lord

Quote from: JetDriver777 on November 11, 2011, 02:05:39 AM
Any RC airframe will work... 

you add a autopilot...
http://diydrones.com/notes/ArduPilot

Then you add a video camera with transmitter.
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16628&cat=279&page=1
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16299&cat=264&page=1

plus a on screen display...
http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=135

Under $1000 you have an RC plane that can:

-Transmit real time video (Line of sight)
-Video is embedded with all the data you need to fly the plane soley off the video feed
-Autpilot provides a data link with real time telemetry
-real time "command and control" link to change any mission parameter while in flight
-Autopilot has unlimited waypoints, loiter, and return to home function

you can easily add a radio scannner tuned to 121.5 homer freq that re-transmits the scanner audio via the audio carrier on the video feed.

possibilities are endless.

HOWEVER
you must fall under the "Hobbiest" category and follow all AMA rules.   Under 400', always maintain visual site.  Must have a spotter if the pilot is flying via video feed, the spotter must be able to take control if needed.  (See AMA rules for all the "FPV" and "UAV" caviats).

In about 1 week mine will be completely built out as discribed above (Exept the video and data links willl be in the Amateur Radio spectrum).

Its not lawful to retransmit the 121.5 signal between radio services, so you will have to convert it to telemetry data. Building an autopilot also seems a little over the top for a device that you have to maintain a visual on, but at least it can find its way home if your command system fails!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

lordmonar

You know....this whole UAV craze was started back in the 70's by to israili military types.

One was a HAM and the other and RC enthusiats.

http://www.vectorsite.net/twuav_10.html

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JetDriver777

Quote from: Major Lord on November 11, 2011, 04:30:29 AM

you add a autopilot...

-Video is embedded with all the data you need to fly the plane soley off the video feed
-real time "command and control" link to change any mission parameter while in flight

you can easily add a radio scannner tuned to 121.5 homer freq that re-transmits the scanner audio via the audio carrier on the video feed.

HOWEVER
you must fall under the "Hobbiest" category and follow all AMA rules.   Under 400', always maintain visual site.  Must have a spotter if the pilot is flying via video feed, the spotter must be able to take control if needed.  (See AMA rules for all the "FPV" and "UAV" caviats).

In about 1 week mine will be completely built out as discribed above (Exept the video and data links willl be in the Amateur Radio spectrum).

Its not lawful to retransmit the 121.5 signal between radio services, so you will have to convert it to telemetry data. Building an autopilot also seems a little over the top for a device that you have to maintain a visual on, but at least it can find its way home if your command system fails!

Major Lord

Im not doubting you but can you cite this?

If it is the case its really not a big deal.  I can either have the COR on the 121.5 receiver trigger a relay to send a telemetry message.  or Encode the audio via IP and send it back to the ground station over a IP Data link. (3.2 ghz Ham band)

lordmonar

With a little circuity you can use the 121.5 signal from the DF to actually steer the plane.

The Army has a little device that they can attach a parachute that will steer the parachute to follow the transmitter carried by another jumper.

Another simple set of circuity could give you a doppeler LOB that you can send back as telemetry....along with the GPS cordinates of the plane...google map to plot the LOBs....and you can DF the ELT in no time.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JetDriver777

What doppler DF have you guys used>  That is reasonably priced$  I don't think i can afford a becker!

Steering the plane based off the DF vectors is pretty easy.  I hesitate due to the "must maintain visual" rule on the plane.  Dont want the plane to go out the BFE on a DF signal.   I could integrate the DF vectors onto the HUD video overlay board. almost like the display in the beckers. :P

Major Lord

Quote from: JetDriver777 on November 11, 2011, 05:07:34 AM
Quote from: Major Lord on November 11, 2011, 04:30:29 AM

you add a autopilot...

HOWEVER

Major Lord

Im not doubting you but can you cite this?

If it is the case its really not a big deal.  I can either have the COR on the 121.5 receiver trigger a relay to send a telemetry message.  or Encode the audio via IP and send it back to the ground station over a IP Data link. (3.2 ghz Ham band)

Sure, for the prohibition of this action in the ham band, you will find it in Section 97.113 (4) (e) Part 97, Chapter 1, Title 47 Code of Federal Regulations. Other Federal Laws have controlling authority over this area as well.  CAP's good friend, the Inventor of the L-Per from L-Tronics requested an amendment to part 97 back in the 90's to allow hams to do precisely what it is you have in mind. As far as I know, the FCC never gave him the time of day. I know that people have added 121.5 receivers to LMR repeaters to alert listeners to the ELT on the "tail" of a transmissions from repeaters, but I don't know of any CAP repeaters that do that anymore. It just makes too much sense for the Government to allow it!

Just hearing the tone would not do you too much good anyway; For good RDF work, I think you would be better off with a wide dynamic range RSSI  using one of three methods.
a) An omnidirectional antenna flying in circles and developing circular-overlap mapping ( where circles are drawn on a map as a function of the altitude and instantaneous amplitude of a signal, and overlapping areas are the presumptive origination source) or

b)A gain antenna with as highly a directional lobe as you can fit on your aircraft ( best choice in my opinion, since you can also use the "null as well as the optimal maximum RSSI)

c) A switched antenna RDF system would provide high bearing resolution, but at the cost of antenna gain and reduced sensitivity.

All of these methods could be downlinked via conventional telemetry modes in the Amateur Radio Service, or other permissible service ( 900 or 2400 MHZ , license-free digital spread spectrum radios, for instance)

If you  are VOCODING the audio and sending it as IP I don't think that this would be a violation of Part 97, since you are not "rebroadcasting" a signal per se. Good luck with your project!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

BTCS1*

Quote from: Major Lord on November 10, 2011, 08:58:19 PM
That sounds awesome, but now we need details man, details! Helo or fixed wing? On board navigation via an Intel product? DF' ELT's? Inquiring minds want to know!

Major Lord

For me, fixed wing. We were going to try a quadracopter, but then we realized that it couldn't carry the necessary payload.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Major Lord

Excellent, especially for a semi autonomous unit. I would love to do a lightweight electric helicopter to just launch straight up ( lots of forest in Northern California) for a DF system only, but I am sure we all look forward to seeing your design!

Major Lord

BTCS1*

I'll be sure to post photos, etc. once it is done! And to counter that problem, we're going to use an airframe based off of the Army's RQ-11 Raven drone, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroVironment_RQ-11_Raven) which is hand launched and requires a small takeoff area.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

NIN

Quote from: PHall on November 09, 2011, 01:41:13 AM
The mid-air between a C-130 and a Predator over Afghanistan a month or two ago won't help either.

Yeah, I hate it when a Herk runs into my RQ-7 (ie. NOT a Predator) from behind.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Major Lord

Just try keeping your C-130's out of Class G airspace around active SAR missions.........Safety first!

Major Lord

edubb811

My squadron looked into the possibility of getting a UAV team together a while ago for ES use. We found it to be way too expensive. If you can pull it off and stay on budget, more power to ya

NIN

Quote from: edubb811 on December 09, 2011, 03:43:49 PM
My squadron looked into the possibility of getting a UAV team together a while ago for ES use. We found it to be way too expensive. If you can pull it off and stay on budget, more power to ya

I hear you can get a real nice slightly used one from the Iranians.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Major Lord

Quote from: NIN on December 09, 2011, 04:03:16 PM
Quote from: edubb811 on December 09, 2011, 03:43:49 PM

I hear you can get a real nice slightly used one from the Iranians.

The Israeli's may make it slightly radioactive, so be careful if you buy it on E-Bay.

Major Lord

NIN

Quote from: Major Lord on December 09, 2011, 04:45:28 PM
The Israeli's may make it slightly radioactive, so be careful if you buy it on E-Bay.

I'll change the batteries in my Geiger counter now...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

♠SARKID♠

We've got some spares lying around from the RM days if you need them...