Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

NIN

"I am tremendously chagrined by the situation we find ourselves in, mate."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

The look on the guy in the left seat is classic.

"How are we going to talk our way out of this one?" ;D

JC004

Thoughts: 

If you hit a small Ferris wheel, you are flying too low. 

Situational awareness is great.  Not seeing a Ferris wheel is probably a bad indication of any number of things.

Please do not fly into things with children in them.

I guess it's slightly better than strafing a school in an F-16.  http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/04/national/main653804.shtml

PHall

If you check out "the rest of the story" you will find out that this fair was set up right next to a small grass strip airport and that the small homebuilt aircraft had an engine failure right after takeoff.

He wasn't buzzing anybody...

JC004

Interesting.  I watched the video in which the pilot said that he took off, didn't even see the Ferris wheel, and next thing he knew, he was in it.  I don't see a link to anything about the engine.

titanII

No longer active on CAP talk

RADIOMAN015

See: http://www.aerotrike.co.za/cheetah/ for more information on this aircraft.

Not sure what type of pilots license is required in that country to fly it.

Locally, we've got a ultra light club that was flying on land next to a closed small airport.    Over the past 5 years or so, there's been 3 or 4 crashes.    The last one involved an individual that bought a top of the line ultra light ($30K+), took only 1 lesson and than took off, apparently didn't know how land and crash and ruined the aircraft and had some serious injuries.  I think the club has since placed some restrictions to avoid in experienced/no experienced pilots from flying out of that location.   Past incidents primarily where mechanical related engine failures versus direct pilot error.
RM   

Buzz

Yep, a Ferris wheel makes a pretty efficient ultralight strainer.