Main Menu

Base Officers Club

Started by mikeylikey, January 12, 2007, 09:45:46 PM

2ltAlexD

I think this is a neat idea. I don't think Cadets should be allowed to use mwr alone though.
Des Moines Metro Cadet Squadron

JayT

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 12, 2007, 09:45:46 PM
Recently my SQD was invited by the Base Commander to become members of the Officers Club (or open mess).  The unit has a very good relationship with the AF on the base.  It costs about 50 dollars to join, but the benefits are real nice.  Free haircuts, quarter draft nights, lunch buffets, etc.  I was wondering if anyone else has taken to using their O-Club?  Were there any problems from the CAP members using the club.  I want to get all my Officers to join (not forcing them to though!) just wondering if I am missing any obvious negative detail. 

Second, I recently found out that some of my cadets are going on Base and using Moral services (like the gym and theatre).  Although the Base Commander has no problem with this, it seems like these cadets are taking benefits that they are not entitled to, let alone telling anyone about.  The group of Cadets are not military dependants and are just CAP Cadets.  Should this continue?  Hopefully others have had similar experiences!

Why should CAP SM's be allowed these extra goodies, but not Cadet's?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Cecil DP

Quite a few bases are closing or consolidating their clubs due to the lack of membership (It used to be unofficially mandatory).  They can extend membership to "leading citizens and others who have an affilliation with the base.. So if a bunch of CAP members can join the club so much the better for everybody. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Larry Mangum

I use to be a membr of the O-club at McChord. It was convient for grabbing dinner before wing meetings.  The only caveat was that as a CAP officer, I had to pay the going rate that an AD offier of the same rank had to pay for membership.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JThemann on April 24, 2009, 01:38:41 PMWhy should CAP SM's be allowed these extra goodies, but not cadets?

I wouldn't have a problem with cadinks (under parental or squadron supervision) using MWR facilities like the gym and rec center on base. On the other hand I'd leave club membership open only to senior members. So long as the privilege is not abused and regularly renewed by the base commander/force support squadron commander, then I could see this as a membership incentive. Unfortunately it'll take some ya-hoo in a CAP uniform to get blottoed at the club bar and get popped for a DUI or other alcohol-related incident and that privilege will be taken away.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Gunner C

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 24, 2009, 03:15:06 PM
Quote from: JThemann on April 24, 2009, 01:38:41 PMWhy should CAP SM's be allowed these extra goodies, but not cadets?

I wouldn't have a problem with cadinks (under parental or squadron supervision) using MWR facilities like the gym and rec center on base. On the other hand I'd leave club membership open only to senior members. So long as the privilege is not abused and regularly renewed by the base commander/force support squadron commander, then I could see this as a membership incentive. Unfortunately it'll take some ya-hoo in a CAP uniform to get blottoed at the club bar and get popped for a DUI or other alcohol-related incident and that privilege will be taken away.
Keep the cadets under strict supervision and out of the clubs.