Main Menu

Boonie Caps

Started by shlebz, August 21, 2011, 03:25:49 PM

davidsinn

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 23, 2011, 08:54:39 PM
Quote from: ltdomke on August 23, 2011, 08:18:05 PM
Seems a patrol hat is a heck of a lot cheaper than a Kevlar one... How did some cadet convince their parents to spend that kind of money on a hat?

Older, self transporting cadet. I bet he used job money on that. His area also has a pretty large surplus store.

If I was there he would have self transported his happy self right back home as soon as he arrived.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ol'fido

WIWOAD, we got a brand new platoon leader. He looked kind of like John Candy in "Stripes" but "Ox" didn't really fit(even though he were a big ol' country boy from KY). So we called him "Uncle Buck". Anyway, he insisted on us wearing out K-pots 24/7 in the field. I mean he didn't want you to take the thing off for sleeping, eating, utilizing the wood line, or nothing. Finally, all the squad leaders and the platoon daddy(Who were mostly Ranger batt veterans) had a little "talk" with him. After that it was back to SOP: Wear 'em when we're tactical and keep 'em handy when we're admin.

Interestingly, this same Second John developed an affinity for the intra-squad radios we used. I can't remember the PRC desigantor but they were about the size of cigar box and worn in a camo pouch on the belt with a handset mike like the larger PRCs. Anyway, he kept calling the squad leaders on the radio even if they were within 10-20 feet. On one movement he called my squad leader who was standing about 4 ft behind on the radio. My SL just said "Go ahead, White 6, this is White 1, over." without even reaching for his mike. The PL just kept right on talking into the radio for a minute before he realized the replies weren't coming back through the mike.

BTW, this has nothing to do with the thread. I just felt like telling a war story. ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: SABRE17 on August 22, 2011, 03:54:27 PM
Ive been on two missions in New Bedford MA, we do need Kevlar to a degree on those missions...

I'm interested as to why a CAP ground team would need Kevlar of any sort, especially a ground team with cadets. (And I'm saying this as a former cadet)

davidsinn

Quote from: Ford73Diesel on August 23, 2011, 11:25:17 PM
Ive been on two missions in New Bedford MA, we do need Kevlar to a degree on those missions...

I'm interested as to why a CAP ground team would need Kevlar of any sort, especially a ground team with cadets. (And I'm saying this as a former cadet)

Perhaps you should look up a concept known as humor? ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: davidsinn on August 24, 2011, 01:05:57 AM

Yeah, but I don't see the sarcasm in his post. Maybe that is because it doesn't translate well in text. New Bedford, MA is a larger city and as such has the crime associated with it. However its crime rate is lower than cities like Detroit, Camden, New Orleans, and so on.

EMT-83

Quote from: davidsinn on August 23, 2011, 09:38:07 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 23, 2011, 08:54:39 PM
Quote from: ltdomke on August 23, 2011, 08:18:05 PM
Seems a patrol hat is a heck of a lot cheaper than a Kevlar one... How did some cadet convince their parents to spend that kind of money on a hat?

Older, self transporting cadet. I bet he used job money on that. His area also has a pretty large surplus store.

If I was there he would have self transported his happy self right back home as soon as he arrived.

We do a quick check when the parents drop off the cadets for an exercise. If their stuff isn't up to par, they jump back in the car with mommy and daddy.

ol'fido

Quote from: Ford73Diesel on August 24, 2011, 02:58:20 AM

Yeah, but I don't see the sarcasm in his post. Maybe that is because it doesn't translate well in text. New Bedford, MA is a larger city and as such has the crime associated with it. However its crime rate is lower than cities like Detroit, Camden, New Orleans, and so on.
Wow. Buzz Kill of the Year Award goes to....May I have the envelope please....Ford73Diesel. ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

titanII

Quote from: ol'fido on August 24, 2011, 03:31:43 AM
Wow. Buzz Kill of the Year Award goes to....May I have the envelope please....Ford73Diesel. ;D
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
No longer active on CAP talk

Hawk200

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 22, 2011, 11:52:59 PM
ROFL What's the max effective range of steel/kevlar helmet???
About 25 yards for someone with a good arm.

Saw this enough in the sandbox. If people weren't ticked when they did it, it could have been a sport.

Ford73Diesel

Wow. Your buzz must be killed easily, then.....  I'm still waiting to hear from him that he was being sarcastic. Perhaps is was a joke, but maybe not.

Ed Bos

Quote from: Ford73Diesel on August 24, 2011, 07:03:48 PM

Wow. Your buzz must be killed easily, then.....  I'm still waiting to hear from him that he was being sarcastic. Perhaps is was a joke, but maybe not.

Yes, it was sarcasm and humor. New Bedford is notorious for having some violent streets. And the size of the particular city aside, it's part of the continuous urban sprawl that stretches along the coast from Boston to New York, with only a few small interruptions.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: Ed Bos on August 24, 2011, 08:32:47 PM
Quote from: Ford73Diesel on August 24, 2011, 07:03:48 PM

Yes, it was sarcasm and humor. New Bedford is notorious for having some violent streets. And the size of the particular city aside, it's part of the continuous urban sprawl that stretches along the coast from Boston to New York, with only a few small interruptions.

Got it- I'm a little slow sometimes.... Back to the regularly scheduled topic...

a2capt

Funny thing with the boonie hats, to me.. they look sloppy and dopey, in a "no wonder they got rid of them", similar to the beret. which  looks like someone laid a bag of flour on your head and you have to walk from point A to B without it falling off. When the Army has them on, it's as it if it's ready to slide off and they have to move quick! :)

manfredvonrichthofen

Now I have to say, I loved my beret when I was in the Army, so much that it is the only uniform item I still have from the Army, aside from my awards. When worn correctly and not two sizes two big or small, it can look really good. BTW the beret is not GONE from the Army by any means. It is still worn by elite groups as Rangers, ABN, SF, and AASLT (AASLT so long as 90% of the unit is qualified and the beret is "steel"), and it is worn by all who are wearing a dress uniform if they so choose not to wear the service cap.

Hawk200

Quote from: a2capt on August 25, 2011, 04:08:07 PM
Funny thing with the boonie hats, to me.. they look sloppy and dopey, in a "no wonder they got rid of them", similar to the beret. which  looks like someone laid a bag of flour on your head and you have to walk from point A to B without it falling off. When the Army has them on, it's as it if it's ready to slide off and they have to move quick! :)
They're actually pretty handy. Once I got into Kuwait, I didn't wear a PC again until the two weeks before we left when they told us to do so. It stays put pretty well, even without the chinstrap. And it really does work keeping sun, wind and rain from getting annoying.

I remember there being talk of authorizing an orange one. I'd wear it. Those who have had one, and used it for proper reasons probably won't even care about the color. The ones who want it to match probably don't want it for the right reasons.

And as good as a beret looks, it's not really useful. I'm glad we got PCs back.