Main Menu

Boonie Caps

Started by shlebz, August 21, 2011, 03:25:49 PM

Майор Хаткевич

I've seen TWO cadets wear Kevlar helmets on a practice mission. Was quite amusing.

Persona non grata

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2011, 02:21:13 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on August 22, 2011, 05:10:15 AMMy point is that you painted the entire squadron of boonie hat wearing ijits as too lazy to read regultaitons.

That's how first impressions work.

I wouldn't get "bent" about them, I'd just tell them to find correct hats.

The issue of boonies, berets, and...get behind me Satan...kevlar helmets, is enough of a problem that we remind people in advance when they are verboten.

Speaking of Kevlar, I have seen people in person wearing these and in pictures..WHATS UP?
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Persona non grata

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 22, 2011, 03:11:07 PM
I've seen TWO cadets wear Kevlar helmets on a practice mission. Was quite amusing.

I appreciate the protective nature of Kevlar(used one at one point in my life) but what is the purpose of wearing these during ES. I hope we are not going places where we might be shot at.

SABRE17

Ive been on two missions in New Bedford MA, we do need Kevlar to a degree on those missions...

Ford73Diesel

Off topic....

It's my understanding that kevlar helmets are meant so serve as protection against shrapnel, not direct gunfire.....

SABRE17

I saw something on the military channel where a Kevlar stopped a .45 1911 bullet.

Eclipse

Quote from: eaker.cadet on August 22, 2011, 03:45:42 PMSpeaking of Kevlar, I have seen people in person wearing these and in pictures..WHATS UP?

In the case of these two goobers young men, they insisted they did not have any other hats.  Had I been there they would have been sent home, as both of them tended towards "creativity" in the past, but at least when we published the group pictures we Photoshopped the helmets out for some ball caps.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

LMAO.  What the heck.  NEED pictures, please.

I'd feel pretty silly.  I have one somewhere, but only because it was given to me.  I don't think it has ever been on my head.

a2capt

Quote from: eaker.cadet on August 22, 2011, 03:48:16 PMI appreciate the protective nature of Kevlar(used one at one point in my life) but what is the purpose of wearing these during ES. I hope we are not going places where we might be shot at.
Like searching along the Mexican border back country... ?  ..and seemingly some parts of Texas..  :o

RiverAux

Isn't there something about hardhats in CAP regs somewhere?  Seem to recall that coming up before.  Kevlar helmets might suffice  >:D

Persona non grata

Quote from: JC004 on August 22, 2011, 04:58:34 PM

I'd feel pretty silly.  I have one somewhere, but only because it was given to me.  I don't think it has ever been on my head.

want to trade? I got a gortex parka.......

titanII

Quote from: SABRE17 on August 22, 2011, 03:54:27 PM
Ive been on two missions in New Bedford MA, we do need Kevlar to a degree on those missions...
As a fellow Bostonian, I respond:
;D- so true.
No longer active on CAP talk

JC004

Quote from: eaker.cadet on August 22, 2011, 06:22:30 PM

want to trade? I got a gortex parka.......

I have a parka.

Майор Хаткевич

Goobers incoming! I do remember the story about the photoshop work to submit the pictures! IIRC, one ended up going into the Marines soon after.

I'm in the front, to the right, near the helo pilots.

Eclipse

So you post the bad photo?  The whole point was to not post the photo.

This is why people like me do this >>>  ((*sigh*))

"That Others May Zoom"

AirDX

Correct me if wrong, but the one on the left looks like he's wearing a WWII-->VN era steel pot vs. a kevlar.  The one on the right is clearly a kevlar.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

abdsp51

ROFL What's the max effective range of steel/kevlar helmet???

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2011, 09:46:11 PM
So you post the bad photo?  The whole point was to not post the photo.

This is why people like me do this >>>  ((*sigh*))

I found it at three places...2 on facebook, 1 elsewhere.

majdomke

Seems a patrol hat is a heck of a lot cheaper than a Kevlar one... How did some cadet convince their parents to spend that kind of money on a hat?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: ltdomke on August 23, 2011, 08:18:05 PM
Seems a patrol hat is a heck of a lot cheaper than a Kevlar one... How did some cadet convince their parents to spend that kind of money on a hat?

Older, self transporting cadet. I bet he used job money on that. His area also has a pretty large surplus store.