Okinawa Cadet Squadron 2011-2012 Winter Encampment

Started by OkinawaLt, July 28, 2011, 08:32:55 AM

OkinawaLt

Hi,
I'm the cadet commander for Okinawa Cadet Squadron at Kadena USAF Base, Okinawa prefecture, Japan. Just wondering if anyone is interested in going to our encampment as a Basic, Advanced Training Flight, or Staff. We had an encampment last year and it worked out pretty well. Hoping to make this years encampment even better. Post if you're interested.

JC004

Майор Хаткевич

nicktavegia

Oh wow. I want to go.  Wish I had airfare.  I just got back from my 2nd Summer Encampment.
Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Flight Sergeant Bartow Etowah Composite Squadron
Cadet of the Quarter

Flyer

I might be interested. I travel through Tokyo for business alot and could stop by for a few days if I plan my trip right. Would really like to meet up with the Squadron.
SM CAP

jimmydeanno

Just curious, but how many people attended the first one?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

OkinawaLt

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 28, 2011, 04:23:23 PM
Just curious, but how many people attended the first one?

Six cadets attended the last one as basics, and three cadet staff (two cadets, a C/Capt and a C/CMSgt, from Georgia wing plus myself)

CAPC/officer125

As most have said, I would love to come but I don't have the money for the airfare and probably won't have enough down time accumulated from my new job. However, if you need any advice, I have 7 encampments under my belt (1 basic and 6 staff, most recent being C/DC) and could probably answer a few questions and if I can't, I know where to find them.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

Dad2-4

I'd love to be there, but I'll have to take a hard look at finances and time off. What dates are you planning?
I'm in Taiwan, and we have a one month break during Chinese New Year.

Eclipse

How does this work, exactly?

I understand you're overseas and have to make do, etc., but aren't you basically just having a long squadron meeting?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2011, 01:38:04 AM

I understand you're overseas and have to make do, etc., but aren't you basically just having a long squadron meeting?

Nope.

The ones I worked with in Misawa had all the same things happening as in stateside encampments, just on a smaller scale. There were aero ed activities, mostly tours of various base facilities. They also got tom do evening colors for the base during that week. (The unit commander was the base services squadron first shirt.) We made sure that all the requirements in the CP reg were met. (1987-88 time frame.)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

OkinawaLt

Quote from: Dad2-4 on July 30, 2011, 01:10:54 AM
I'd love to be there, but I'll have to take a hard look at finances and time off. What dates are you planning?
I'm in Taiwan, and we have a one month break during Chinese New Year.

We are planning on it taking place probably between the day after Christmas through a day or two after new years, approximately 12-26-11 till 1-2-12.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2011, 01:38:04 AM

+1

I did the week end option when I was CC at Misawa.  Got some NCO's from base to be my instructors and did the whole encampment thing.
Took tours, shot guns, drill and ceremonies, some ES like stuff, spend one night out in survival shelters.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

One week - Saturday through Friday. I got permissive TDY from my Navy job.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

If I hadn't used up my annual leave this year to attend NSC, I would have jumped at the chance to help out! Granted, it ain't cheap flying from Kwaj (westbound on the 'Island Hopper' to Guam, then Guam to Okinawa) but it would be an experience! Maybe in the summer next year?
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DakRadz

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 01, 2011, 09:01:30 AM
If I hadn't used up my annual leave this year to attend NSC, I would have jumped at the chance to help out! Granted, it ain't cheap flying from Kwaj (westbound on the 'Island Hopper' to Guam, then Guam to Okinawa) but it would be an experience! Maybe in the summer next year?

In another thread he mentioned that Okinawa summers are black flag, every day, and that's why they do winter encampments instead.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: DakRadz on August 01, 2011, 09:43:13 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 01, 2011, 09:01:30 AM

In another thread he mentioned that Okinawa summers are black flag, every day, and that's why they do winter encampments instead.

Our encampment was black flag everyday, just takes some creative scheduling.  Like starting PT at 0500 while it's only 85 degrees out.  Doing the indoor stuff from 1100-1700 and back outside in the evenings.  Last year, when I was in Tokyo, it was rather uncomfortable with the humidity.  Perhaps they could hold the encampment at Club Med in Hokkaido.  The temperatures were very nice, in August.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

OkinawaLt

Lukeland

What is the status of the encampment?

I may be able to come down from Yokota to staff...also have a C/1st Lt in the squadron willing to participate.

Capt Hank Luke, CAP