For Those Who Don't Remember The Days...

Started by ColonelJack, January 06, 2007, 07:45:55 PM

ColonelJack

...here's what the uniform looked like with the "berry boards."  This was taken at my squadron's annual Banquet in 1992 or so ... I'd just made Lt. Col., had not yet started observer training, and the fellow at right with his face partially obscured is the late Col. Warren Crawford, former Georgia Wing commander.  The other man is a friend who was a Chief in the Navy and was our guest speaker that evening. 

My favorite part of this photo is the fact that I still have hair and it's dark!  (The glasses, however, had to go.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

JohnKachenmeister

The picture isn't too clear, but your friend the Chief was a gold-striper with what looks like a submarine combat patrol badge.  True?
Another former CAP officer

JohnKachenmeister

And the Distinguished Marksman badge.  Not many sailors get that.

Is his top ribbon the Navy Cross?  His lapel covers part of it, so I can't tell for sure.

ColonelJack

John ...

My friend the Chief is an old high school classmate.  He was surface, not submarine, and I don't remember what his highest award is, but it's not the Navy Cross.  He did indeed earn that Distinguished Marksman badge -- he set a record when we were in ROTC in high school in Georgia that I don't think has been broken yet, though I can't recall exactly what it was. 

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

ColonelJack

I have to add a story about my friend in the picture.  He was Battalion commander of our ROTC unit our senior year, and I was "A" company commander.  A good friend of ours had been promoted to Brigade commander (C/COL) and was over all seven ROTC battalions in the school district.  At the Chief's retirement from the Navy, the old brigade commander -- now an Army colonel himself -- showed up uninvited, out of the clear blue, and most welcomed. 

Back to the discussion of the old uniforms ... sorry to bore you with an old-friend-from-school story.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

JohnKachenmeister

Its cool, Jack.  The gold stripes on a Navy uniform start at 12 years of service, and are for continuous meritorious service.  One screw up, back to the red ones.

JAFO78

I remember the berry boards. Thank god, ok the AF gave us the gray its better than Berry, but not by much.

PLEASE GIVE ME MY BLUE BOARDS BACK- I'LL BE GOOD!!!
JAFO