K-9 for CAP Searches

Started by thefischNX01, January 01, 2007, 05:43:59 AM

thefischNX01

I have a limited understanding of the 409 mHz ELT, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it is that this new ELT will transmit it's GPS coordinates to the AFRCC or other alerting agency.  Therefore, effectively taking out the "Search" part of the "Search and Rescue" mission. 

However, in those instances where the ELT fails to (or stops) transmit(ting), we have to resume the "Search" part of the overall mission.  I can't remember reading anything in 60-3 (or any other reg for that matter) about this, but has anyone given any thought to a K-9 unit for SAR work? 

I know that NASAR has a SARDog program available, which we could use as a basis for a CAP-specific program. I would say that dogs would be member-owned, but have to pass a certain criteria for them to become certified as "trainable" for a SARDOG.  They could be trained to sniff out things like fuel, oil and other smellable parts of wreckage. 

Any thoughts? 
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

arajca

Due to the carcinogenic properties of most vehicle fluids (oils, fuels, etc) you do not want to be training any animal to sniff those out. I know a couple of arson ivestigators who had arson dogs who were heartbroken when the dog died from cancer aquired in the initial and ongoing training requirements. The hardest part for these gentlemen was knowing they caused the cancer. I would not wish that upon anyone.

Due to the long term commitment, I don't see CAP K9 units as viable. You'd be better off forming good relationships with local SAR teams who have dogs.

fyrfitrmedic

My home unit had a relationship with a now-defunct K9 SAR unit local to us with which we used to do some joint training. The relationship was mutually beneficial; it seemed, however, that the K9 unit's new members seemed to be the ones who derived the greatest benefit.

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Eclipse

The Ground Team curriculm has one task related to Search Dogs.

It can be summed up in one sentence:

"Stay away from the dogs..."

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

I met a CAP Major from Washington (state) Wing who trains and uses search dogs with ground teams.  I can get you his email in a PM if your interested.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

thefischNX01

Actually, I would like to hear about this from someone who knows a lot more than I. 

PM away.
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

DeputyDog

Quote from: Eclipse on January 01, 2007, 09:13:12 AM
The Ground Team curriculm has one task related to Search Dogs.

It can be summed up in one sentence:

"Stay away from the dogs..."

"...and try to keep up!"  ;D