Main Menu

Benefits of CAP

Started by mclarke, April 26, 2011, 04:22:27 PM

mclarke

I could not find a thread for this, and hope this is the right discussion board, but here is something I thought useful. List some of the "Secret" benefits of CAP.

Example: I was reading threw all the threads and came across the fact we can use the Pentagon Federal. Interesting...

Any others out there to be shared? Other than what Nation gives us.

bosshawk

Sorry to throw cold water on your topic, but anyone can be a member of the Pentagon Federal Credit Union: it is a commercial credit union.  I have been a member since 1960.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

bosshawk

OOPS: I misspoke.  You have to be a member of a long laundry list of organizations and mililtary services.  It just looks like anyone can join.  Didn't see CAP on the list, but it may be.

Still a good credit union .
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RiverAux

The last time I looked CAP wasn't there.  I joined based on CG Aux membership. 

Spaceman3750

I thought I saw us on that list at one point. I wonder if we were eligible for membership at one point and aren't any more?

In any event, you can join based on AFA membership which is open to everyone.

NC Hokie

To expand on bosshawk's comments, I'm finding that it's not unusual to see "CAP benefits" offered to the general public. There's a long thread devoted to the CAP cellular phone benefit, and I've recently found out that the Academy of Model Aeronautics now offers free membership to ALL youth, not just CAP cadets as a recent blog about the MOU between the two organizations suggests.

For the record, I don't think that NHQ is consciously misleading the membership about any of these benefits.  Instead, I suspect that they just pass on these offers without looking to see if there's anything really special about them, as nobody really wants to look a gift horse in the mouth.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

mclarke

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 26, 2011, 05:34:47 PM
I thought I saw us on that list at one point. I wonder if we were eligible for membership at one point and aren't any more?

I was just on there today, however, I am waiting to join another week. I want to see what they have to offer and give myself time to compare, however, yes, CAP is on the list of eligible members.

Also, this was on another thread from a while back, however, I thought it would be cool to see what other benefits members have since discovered and could share them here.

Stonewall

Oakley Government Sales.  <<---Click there.

Yes, even CAP members can get special discounts on Oakley stuff, up to 70% off.  Lots of people have done it.  You can too!
Serving since 1987.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: mclarke on April 26, 2011, 05:50:15 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 26, 2011, 05:34:47 PM

I was just on there today, however, I am waiting to join another week. I want to see what they have to offer and give myself time to compare, however, yes, CAP is on the list of eligible members.

Also, this was on another thread from a while back, however, I thought it would be cool to see what other benefits members have since discovered and could share them here.

It looks like CAP is listed under the employer section. Whether that applies to members/volunteers or not I don't know. They're not on the military association list.

It's pretty sad that we've become so corporate that we're listed under companies instead of military associations like CG Aux.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 26, 2011, 06:06:08 PMIt's pretty sad that we've become so corporate that we're listed under companies instead of military associations like CG Aux.

I'd be willing to bet that this is only for NHQ employees and perhaps wing admins and the like, not intended for the general membership.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: mclarke on April 26, 2011, 04:22:27 PM
I could not find a thread for this, and hope this is the right discussion board, but here is something I thought useful. List some of the "Secret" benefits of CAP.

Example: I was reading threw all the threads and came across the fact we can use the Pentagon Federal. Interesting...

Any others out there to be shared? Other than what Nation gives us.
Well I would sincerely hope that Joe or Jane wanna bee isn't trolling around in their CAP uniforms (especially BDU's) and accepting discounts from anyone, because they think they are dealing with military personnel >:(.  It's important that CAP members take it upon themselves to ensure any establishment knows that they are CIVIL Air Patrol, official Aux of USAF and not in the military.

I think Home Depot will allow discounts for CAP as an organization IF the appropriate EIN# and form is signed by a responsible/authorized individual.  I do know that for military/retired military/military dependents that a discount is received upon presentation of a valid military related ID card.
RM

JeffDG

RM, are you sure?  I wasn't aware that we were the CIVIL Air Patrol, I always thought it was the Civil Air Patrol. ::)

What does CIVIL stand for, as that's normal nomenclature for acronyms.

raivo

Quote from: JeffDG on April 30, 2011, 09:24:01 PM
RM, are you sure?  I wasn't aware that we were the CIVIL Air Patrol, I always thought it was the Civil Air Patrol. ::)

... seriously?

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Stearmann4

CAP membership will allow you to join most any military flying club:o)

Mike-
Active Duty Army Aviator
Silver Wings Flying Company, LLC
Olympia Regional Airport (KOLM)
www.Silverwingsflying.com

RADIOMAN015

Try this:   Civil Air Patrol ----  I think it means that members are civilians >:D
RM

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 02, 2011, 03:28:05 AM

Try this:   Civil Air Patrol ----  I think it means that members are civilians

Cite please.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on May 02, 2011, 03:31:31 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 02, 2011, 03:28:05 AM

Try this:   Civil Air Patrol ----  I think it means that members are civilians

Cite please.
Air Force Instruction 10-2701, para 1-3 and attachment #1 para A1.3.
RM

SarDragon

I think you both are arguing for argument's sake.

Yes, CAP as an organization is civilian. Individually, as members, we may or not be civilians in our non-CAP lives. Thirteen of my CAP membership years were while I was on active duty in the Navy.

Now, can we discontinue the urination competition, and return to our benefits discussion?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: SarDragon on May 02, 2011, 05:42:15 AM
I think you both are arguing for argument's sake.

Yes, CAP as an organization is civilian. Individually, as members, we may or not be civilians in our non-CAP lives. Thirteen of my CAP membership years were while I was on active duty in the Navy.

Now, can we discontinue the urination competition, and return to our benefits discussion?

Well said, Mr Bowles...

To the others...The Civil Air Patrol is a Civilian Auxiliary of a Military Service, we are civilian volunteers working on behalf of the USAF.  Now...how does arguring this type of semantics effect those missions? 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

majdomke

Well I just tried to renew my Oakley account and they say "sorry, no more CAP". At first I was told to send in my 101 card since this proved I participated in ES. Then they denied that saying I was not EMS. It's a real shame that anyone with a valid  military ID card can get an account, even if they never set foot in the field, but someone in the AF Aux who does go into the field on a regular basis cannot. Just me venting...