Specialty Tracks for Cadets

Started by C/TSetser, April 22, 2011, 11:26:20 AM

C/TSetser

I am wondering what specialty tracks are available for cadets to do, and what are needed to complete them.
Thomas Setser,
C/1st Lt, Civil Air Patrol
Valparaiso Cadet Squadron
IN-036

elipod

Maybe you should go into more detail about what you mean. "specialty tracks" could mean several things. I'm not sure if your talking about 'Search and Rescue', or 'Model Rocketry'...   Or whatever else one might think of when they see 'specialty tracks'.

The only specialty tracks or badges cadets can earn, are Search and Rescue ratings, and Communications ratings, and the Model Rocketry badge. . We cannot participate in the senior member specialty tracks.

Does that answer your question buddy?
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

mclarke

There are no specialty tracks for cadets. However, many squadrons assign cadets a role in a specialty track unofficially. For example, you may be the cadet recruiter, however, you dont have a specialty track, its just a title. Your job would mostly be the same, as you should and would be working with the Senior Member who is the squadron recruiting officer.

In my Squadron, I am the Public Affairs Officer, and there is a cadet PAO as well. I have the duty title in eservices and on my record. The cadet, however, does not have that. The cadet just simply helps me out in areas I may not be able to (such as making an cadet activity and helping take photos, write an article, etc).

The only specialty cadets have (as mentioned above) are rating, such as GTM3, GTM2, BCUT, etc... Mostly, cadets get to do all the cool fun things.

arajca

There are no specialty tracks per se for cadets. Cadets can earn the basic Emergency Services badge (Technician rating for Seniors) and all three Communications badges (Technician, Senior, and Master ratings for Seniors), but not the ratings as each have some senior member progression requirements. If you do earn one of these as a cadet, when you turn senior, all you need to do is fill in the missing senior training and you have the rating. There MAY be something coming for cadet safety officers, but I haven't seen anything official yet (I also haven't looked very hard).

You can find the details in the CAP 200 series pamphlets.

If you're talking about ES quailfications, most are open to cadets. Some have age limits, 18 or 21 years old, but not many. Look at the SQTRs for each to determine the requirements.

Eclipse

Cadets can also earn the ITO badge.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on April 22, 2011, 01:41:07 PM
I didn't know anyone could actually earn that one yet. Did they finally publish the criteria? Or is it in something obscure that I missed along the way?

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on April 24, 2011, 11:59:06 PM
I didn't know anyone could actually earn that one yet. Did they finally publish the criteria? Or is it in something obscure that I missed along the way?

CAPP227 - full program just like the other specialties

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P227_7591C52DB2458.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on April 25, 2011, 01:15:47 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on April 24, 2011, 11:59:06 PM

CAPP227 - full program just like the other specialties

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P227_7591C52DB2458.pdf
Ummm... no. Cadets cannot work in any other specialty tracks nor earn badges for them aside from:
Communications - all three
Emergency Services - Basic
Information Technology - Basic

Quote from: CAPP 227
Cadets who serve as Cadet Information Technology Officers (C/ITO) are not eligible to earn the IT specialty rating. However, those cadets who serve in this capacity for a minimum of one year and complete the required duties may be authorized to wear the basic IT Specialty Badge for the duration of their cadet membership upon approval of their wing commander (authority may be delegated).

Couple that with the prohibition on cadets serving in senior duty positions and there is no way for them to earn a senior or master ITO badge.

Eclipse

^ The question was whether they had actually published the full ITO program, not whether cadets could earn all the badges.

"That Others May Zoom"

deydo

The Senior Member Specialty Tracks are Primarily for Senior Members, and exist to provide the services required for a Squadron Group or Wing to function. And, has been previosly mentioned, yes, there are a few "tracks" that Cadets are encouraged to actually earn ratings in, like ES and Comm.
What the Cadet Program does have is Staff Duty Analysis for Cadet Officers in Phase 3 & 4 where they learn about the various staff duty positions and actually apprentice to a Senior Member in one Specialty during each Phase. Most Senior Members not working with Cadets are unaware of this requirement for Cadet Officers. This has been a facet of the Cadet Program for MANY years, as I went through this Staff Duty Analysis prgram in 1978-79 as a Cadet Officer before enlisting in the Air Force.