Main Menu

Mess Dress

Started by freeflight, December 31, 2006, 09:36:52 AM

shorning

Quote from: arajca on January 17, 2007, 04:47:47 AM
A rule of thumb is a starting point which usually works for about 85% of the cases. Obviously, there will exceptions to any rule. Some are more serious than others.

In Haz Mat response, we use the "Rule of the Thumb." If you hold your arm out straight pointed at the spill with your hand in the "Fonzie" position and you can see the spill around your thumb, YOU'RE TOO CLOSE! Is it 100% accurate? No. But it's good enough for an initial safe distance - usually.

I tried applying that to my desk at work.  Too close.  So I tried it with the building I work in.  Again, too close.  I decided it would be best if I stayed home, since that would put an appropriate distance between me and the hazard.   My boss told me I still had to come to work.   :-\

Dragoon

Back to the thread....I've got one (had to have all the uniforms, ya know).   It comes out no more than once a year, which makes it a GREAT motivator to maintain my weight!

Pylon

Quote from: Dragoon on January 17, 2007, 04:04:58 PM
It comes out no more than once a year, which makes it a GREAT motivator to maintain my weight!

Yeah, I was miffed when I had to go out and get the next bigger jacket size recently.  But I knew I should just invest and get a bigger jacket and not wing it with the smaller size.  I didn't want to be that guy that somehow found a connecting button in the front with a 12" chain link (you know it's happened!)  :D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on January 17, 2007, 04:10:09 PM
I didn't want to be that guy that somehow found a connecting button in the front with a 12" chain link (you know it's happened!)  :D

How do you know what size chain to get?
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on January 17, 2007, 04:39:14 PM
Quote from: Pylon on January 17, 2007, 04:10:09 PM
I didn't want to be that guy that somehow found a connecting button in the front with a 12" chain link (you know it's happened!)  :D

How do you know what size chain to get?

About 1/10"  :D    There is no real chain to speak of.  Normally the connecting button(s) has a tiny chain on it.  It's short.  It's supposed to just barely bring the jacket together in the front with no overlap.

I've just seem some, uh... more creative people who figure they can widen their jacket by adding length between the two buttons.   Believe me, I've seen it.  ;D

But to better answer your question "How do you know what size chain to get?"  -- However many inches by which your jacket it too tight.  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

I was curious because I had seen these for CGAUX Dinner Dress... which come in different sizes:

Mike Johnston