Main Menu

new mk4 scores well

Started by starshippe, March 09, 2011, 02:01:24 AM

starshippe

. . the new mk4 arrived a few days back, and i tried it out this afternoon on a suspected cable tv cable leak in the neighborhood. the antennas from bob miller have not arrived yet, so i started to piece together the arrow. as i mentioned in another thread, these are prone to having the 8-32 screw that holds the elements together rattle out, and the driven element was missing the screw.
. . $3.92 for three feet of threaded rod and a few minutes of work with the dremel later, i was back in business, and the setup nailed the offending signal not to the cable as suspected, but to the house. the change in tone as i swung the antenna through the direction of the signal was nice and sharp. yes, the nuts are tighter now.
. . the units cover 120 thru 129.995, and 143 thru 149.995, so i was able to use it to find the signal on 145.330, which is the output freq of one of the local ham repeaters.
. . i found the mk4 easy to work with, it was nice to be able to keep my eyes in the direction of the antenna and just listen for the change in tone. it should do well hunting elts.
. . the tone seems to slew with the antenna direction fairly quickly. theres a chance this setup can be used to df the six tenths of a second 406 beacon pulses. i'm ordering an arrow antenna now for 406.035, and a mk4 for the 406 band.

bill