Senior Member Dress coat

Started by MattPHS2002, December 22, 2006, 12:10:45 AM

MattPHS2002

Anyone know where I can pick up the braiding to modify an old cadet service coat? I'm cheap/can't afford the new jackets.
1Lt Matt Gamret

NER-PA-002 Drug Demand Reduction Officer

arajca

Are you modifying the old AF style with the four pockets (looks like the Army class A jacket, but in blue)? If so, don't bother, CAP senior members are not authorized to wear it.

Otherwise, check with (I know someone will disagree) Vanguard. Or the Hock. 

Psicorp

If you're talking about the Service Coat with the four pockets on the front...it isn't reg for Senior Members.  They remain allowed under regulation for Cadets, but not Officers...sorry.   

If you really wanted to be cheap, and within regs, what you could do is buy a current Enlisted Service Coat/Blazer and find a good seamstress to sew epallets and braid onto it.  You can find the Enlisted coat/blazer all day long on Ebay.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

MIKE

Everyone was thinking the same thing... Even me.

The Hock has the braid. www.thehock.com SKU #: 9193 $1.95

Have to check to see if Vanguard has it also.

Edit: Yes they do.
Mike Johnston

MattPHS2002

I plan on taking the pockets off:) it is possible my dad did it with his I just needed the info for the braid, thanks a ton:)
1Lt Matt Gamret

SarDragon

Aren't the basic cut of the coat and the shade different, too? I haven't owned or worn either variety, but from looking at the 39-1 pix, they look different enough for the older one to look out of place wothout the pockets.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 22, 2006, 12:29:28 AM
I plan on taking the pockets off:) it is possible my dad did it with his I just needed the info for the braid, thanks a ton:)

Don't waste your time.  Either get the new style officers coat, or don't bother.
Mike Johnston

A.Member

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 22, 2006, 12:29:28 AM
Don't bother.  Save your pennies until you can by the correct uniform item (even if you pull the pockets off and it somehow manages to not look like complete crap, the blues are different).  In the meantime, wear one of the bizzillion other uniform options that are available.  

EDIT:  looks like we have a concensus. :)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

MattPHS2002

I already do I wear my BDU's I personally can't stand Blues and I've said for the longest time I'm not buying anything for CAP uniform wise but I can't afford a service coat.
1Lt Matt Gamret

MIKE

Quote from: SarDragon on December 22, 2006, 12:32:24 AM
Aren't the basic cut of the coat and the shade different, too? I haven't owned or worn either variety, but from looking at the 39-1 pix, they look different enough for the older one to look out of place wothout the pockets.

YMMV.

They are.  I own both styles.
Mike Johnston

MattPHS2002

What I don't get is really who is gonna notice that the shade is a tick darker, answer no one but some uniform nazi.
1Lt Matt Gamret

MIKE

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 22, 2006, 12:35:46 AM
I already do I wear my BDU's I personally can't stand Blues and I've said for the longest time I'm not buying anything for CAP uniform wise but I can't afford a service coat.

Do you live anywhere near an AFB?  Some bases have thrift shops that carry used uniforms for cheap.  I got my service coat at the one on Hanscom.

It's not a required item anyway... If you have the minimum basic service uniform, you are all set.
Mike Johnston

A.Member

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 22, 2006, 12:37:53 AM
What I don't get is really who is gonna notice that the shade is a tick darker, answer no one but some uniform nazi.
Wrong.  Answer:  Everyone will notice - because it's not the correct item (not even very close).  If you can't do it correctly, then don't do it all.  That's part of your obligation to the organization.  It's really that simple. 

As MIKE indicates, it's not a required uniform item.  If you showed up in my squadron with such a hack, I'd have you remove the coat and instruct you not to wear it again (and if I didn't, someone else would).
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

SarDragon

I seriously resent the Uniform Nazi remark.

I have worn a uniform of one sort or another since 1963. In each instance, the proper wearing of the uniform was stressed, for whatever important reasons given to us related to the particular organization. Wearing of a uniform modified to look like another is NOT proper. Period. Wear the correct uniform, and wear it right, or don't wear it at all.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MattPHS2002

I meant no disrespect, however that being said the shades are so subtle that in most instance were Blues are worn you would not be able to tell that the shade was off, if they want us to switch to something just cause they are making the shade of blue lighter or darker then they (meaning NHQ) needs to start shelling out some money or get the stuff so that it can be issued.
1Lt Matt Gamret

MIKE

Come And Pay or Cash And Plastic if you prefer.
Mike Johnston

MattPHS2002

Quote from: MIKE on December 22, 2006, 12:56:37 AM
Come And Pay or Cash And Plastic if you prefer.

So true, so very very true, that doesn't mean that it should be, this would normally be where I could bring up the Canadian Cadet program but I think I've caused enough ruckus for one night.
1Lt Matt Gamret

SJFedor

Well Matt, since you're unit is at Pittsburgh IAP, and there's an ANG unit, which I know your unit has done a lot of dealings with, why don't you talk to them and see if they have a jacket around that can fall off a truck for you?

I'm gonna assume, since there's only one other member with your last name in all of CAP, that the other one is your father at GP 1 headquarters. Since he is the supply and logistics officer for the group, I would hope he could help you find the correct uniform. And if he's wearing a ripoff modification of that, and someone from the wing level hasn't smited him for it yet, that's really surprising. I know Lt. Col. Willa Hayes eats people alive for small uniform infractions.

Or, send an email to the Wing LG and see if they have any senior member service dress jackets.

But for the love of god, don't try and alter a jacket to that extreme. It'll come out looking rather crappy, be completely improper and technically against regulation, since it's not a USAF mil-spec approved uniform item anymore, and it'll just hurt the image of CAP more, especially with an ANG unit where you guys are located.

If you don't want to blow the money on the service jacket, don't. Wear the short or long sleeve combo with the lightweight jacket until you DO have the money or happen to acquire the proper uniform. Or wear the grey pants and the polo as many seniors do. Or go with the TPU. Or any other proper uniform.

This isn't the boy scouts, you can't just have mom alter the uniform a little bit to make do.

I'd expect and understand this from a new member, but you've been in since 1998. You're old enough, and experienced enough,  to know the rules and how it works.

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 22, 2006, 12:37:53 AM

The people who wear the uniform for a living will certainly notice. As well as those who know how to properly wear the uniform.

PS- please see the Announcements and Feedback section of this forum, the thread titled "CAP has official grade abbreviations"

It's 2d Lt., not 2LT.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

MIKE

Quote from: SJFedor on December 22, 2006, 01:30:11 AM
PS- please see the Announcements and Feedback section of this forum, the thread titled "CAP has official grade abbreviations"

It's 2d Lt., not 2LT.

[Off Topic] 2d Lt with no periods. [/Off Topic]
Mike Johnston

SJFedor

My apologies, that puppy snuck in there.

Me and my punctuation.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)