SQUADRON COMMANDER TIPS ?

Started by exFlight Officer, December 20, 2010, 07:36:05 PM

exFlight Officer

Commanders,

• What do you do / or find to be effective to operate your squadron on a day to day/week by week basis ?
  • Do you do anything special to retain your members ?
  • When it comes to promotions for cadets and senior members, do you have a ceremony or invite parents or etc. ?
  • What activities does your squadron do along with training and cadet competitions ?
  • Concerning squadron staff, what do you do to motivate them or recognize them (besides the standard AA's and CC's).
  • Do you or your squadron do anything out of the norm that could be effective for other squadrons to do ?
I am asking #1 to improve my current squadron and #2 to gain ideas and experiences that will help me with the new squadron.

Thanks!

Al Sayre

1. Get a copy of the SUI guide and make sure you are doing the things that it asks about.
2. Not really, we try to make it fun and interesting, but if they choose to leave, we don't beg them to stay.
3.  Depends  Cadets we do a ceremony on Blues nights parents are welcome.  Seniors are promoted at the Senior meeting if they are present.
4.  Lot of ES
5.  That's about it, let them know what they do is important, and that you appreciate their help.
6.  Define Norm...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

A strong, detailed schedule is critical, as is plotting your course and sticking to it.

As long as members know the expectations, have meaningful duties, and see that everyone is held equally accountable when they commit to something, those worth your worry will follow.

I concur with the review of the SUI Guide, and further, if your CD's + big-3 staffers are effective, the rest is easy.

"That Others May Zoom"

exFlight Officer

Quote from: Al Sayre on December 20, 2010, 09:45:40 PM
1. Get a copy of the SUI guide and make sure you are doing the things that it asks about.
2. Not really, we try to make it fun and interesting, but if they choose to leave, we don't beg them to stay.
3.  Depends  Cadets we do a ceremony on Blues nights parents are welcome.  Seniors are promoted at the Senior meeting if they are present.
4.  Lot of ES
5.  That's about it, let them know what they do is important, and that you appreciate their help.
6.  Define Norm...

I dont quite know how to describe normal in this case. In the words "out of the norm" I mean, Go beyond what National suggests for routine operation of a squadron.... if that makes any more sense.

Quote from: Eclipse on December 20, 2010, 09:59:19 PM
A strong, detailed schedule is critical, as is plotting your course and sticking to it.

As long as members know the expectations, have meaningful duties, and see that everyone is held equally accountable when they commit to something, those worth your worry will follow.

I concur with the review of the SUI Guide, and further, if your CD's + big-3 staffers are effective, the rest is easy.

In my current squadron, I am the DCC. We have a great Commander and a great Deputy Commander for Seniors.
I make sure to follow the SUI guides for every duty position.

Thanks for the help so far!

ol'fido

If you don't know your way around e services, find someone who does and make them sit down and show you all the ins and outs.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

JohnKachenmeister

Surround yourself with good people and take good care of them.  They'll do the job for you.
Another former CAP officer

Major Carrales

A good squadron commander is "not an Island," as Kach said, develop a good staff.  A squadron has to be a group effort under the direction and leadership of a person who is strong enough to get what things need to happen to happen, but with the understandings of the realities of CAP.

Take CAP seriously and liaise with other mutual aid organizations.  Keep a high profile but retain your humility.

Learn all there is to know about how CAP works so that, when the time comes, you will know your place in the structure.  That will allow you to provide and promise that which s deliverable and genuine.

Find project officers that are interested in making the project "their pet."  A strict "you make it, you marry it" approach with necessary support from Command will see an internal synergy that will see these projects to fruition.

Never put your personal progress, visions or interests ahead of that of the squadron.  Losing focus is the best way to find yourself at odds with those you command and those that command you.

Know your SUI materials and dedicate one meeting a month to some item on it.  This will prevent the "mad dash" to get ready before an inspection.  Again, staffing is the key.  Assign people to the positions, support them and encourage the unit to support them.  never "dump" anything on anyone and expect them to succeed.  If someone is "forced" to take something they are unsure of...suffer with them and build you knowledge (and theirs) until the burden is light.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Have the foresight to become commander of a large squadron with lots of active people in all the key staff jobs. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on December 21, 2010, 03:17:06 AM
Have the foresight to become commander of a large squadron with lots of active people in all the key staff jobs.

We play the hand we are dealt and play it well.  In that "game," if you will, is the success and future of CAP.  As a commander who helped gather a squadron from the brink of closure to operational readiness...I can attest to this fact. 

We either work to build our units...or we will fall apart.  I chose the former to dispose of the latter.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454