Main Menu

Dec 2010 BoG Meeting

Started by Ned, December 09, 2010, 04:03:18 AM

jimmydeanno

River,

So, you're asking if the procedure is like this:

1) Tell the AF that we need 44 million dollars.

2) The  AF tells congress we need 40 million dollars.

3) Legislative guys go to Congress and tell them we actually need 44 million dollars.

4) Congress gives us 44 million dollars.

or if it's something like this.

1) Tell Congress that we need 44 million dollars.

2) Congress tells us that we can only have 40 million dollars.

3) Legislative guys go to Congress and tell them we actually need 44 million dollars.

4) Congress gives us 44 million dollars.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

Basically, yes.  Who is behind the cut? 

a2capt

....and if you ask for 48 million, so you get 44 million, and you take it. Then next year you set the precedent that you were willing to take less.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Ned on December 09, 2010, 06:05:10 PM
I see I missed a couple of points.

I haven't seen the 2008 plan on line anywhere, but you should be able to see it soon because it gets incorporated into the current business plan/short term objectives.

(The long term objectives / vision (multi-year, roughly five) set by the BoG and senior leadership drive the short term objectives (1-2 year out) and business plan that is developed and implemented by the national commander and exective director.)

The short term stuff are things like "increase cadet membership by 10% this year" or refurbish 6 aircraft". 

We were briefed on that plan, and I suspect you will see it as soon as the rest of CAP senior management (NEC/NB members) get it and use it to craft their own plans for their regions/wings.

Ned Lee
Ned thank you for providing the information to us :clap:

Perhaps a good objective would be to report on what various levels of CAP are doing to save volunteer members time & money -- That's what needs to be concentrated on, members are looking for way NOT to spend more money on CAP or time, travel etc.

Also I'm sure some of those metrics are just more pencil whipping exercises anyways.   Lets face it EVERY organization wants to increase their membership.  On the cadet side as far as membership gains, there may not be the senior staffing motivated to volunteer for maintaining cadet programs, so I just don't see the increased retention being there.   From a cost standpoint it is much more important to retain current senior (as well as cadet) members than to bring new members in.  I've spent a fair amount of time with training/assisting new senior members just to have them quit about a year down the road OR even sooner.  I think we are better off NOT being in a strictly numbers game & any metrics on Wings, Regions, etc should also look at membership retention rates. 
RM       

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Ned on December 09, 2010, 09:08:13 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 09, 2010, 07:04:14 PM
Regarding the budget, just what mechanism is it and who is implementing it that we have to try to get this 4 mil back every year?

We go a couple of ways.  We have a Congressional liaison with an office in Washington DC who will ensure that Congress is aware of the validated needs represented by the additional requests.  In addition, during Legislative Day, the NB, CLA, and other senior CAP leaders directly contact senators and members to explain the request.

(And while I have no direct knowledge, I'm guessing that the Kansas delegation is also contacted by one or more businesses who strongly supprt CAP.)

Like I said, this normally works well for us.  But there is certainly no promises when it comes to appropriated funds in this kind of a year.
Hey even military retirees may see some health benefits reductions, and no retired pay COLA's last year and likely this year  -- EVERYONE in the government has to tighten their belts, why should CAP be any different?   Also congress on all those pork barrel projects needs to be scrutinized --  That's what' s going to happen when the tea party candidates take office in January.   

Again the economy is not good and CAP as an organization needs to be VERY careful on what it is going to impose on members  (time money, travel distances) to remain as active members.  We also need to be VERY, VERY careful about the publics "perceptions" of what they see at the local airport with CAP aircraft or vehicles anywhere.
RM

RiverAux

I'm all for scrutiny and all that, but there apparently is some structural issue in the budget that we're dealing with rather than some good government program. 

jimmydeanno

And if you cut out all pork (discretionary spending @ 0.7% of the budget) and foreign aid (2.4%), etc you still have 97% of your budget.  You want to balance a budget, start hacking away at Social Security, DoD, Welfare, Medicare, Medicaid and the interest on the national debt (about 85% of our budget each year).

I certainly don't hope that you think that porkbarrel spending and foreign aide are the demise of this country's wealth like the tea partiers would have you believe.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Four million dollars is but a pimple on the elephant. Inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

Below are various economic visualizations using 10,000 pennies. Enjoy. Included are figures on mandatory and discretionary budget categories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWt8hTayupE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMH9QZdjS2Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFV5Tx4LxBM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5yxFtTwDcc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miIBp7ufxjk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJu0DgpiK8c
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

Quote from: Kojack on December 09, 2010, 06:56:19 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 09, 2010, 06:42:22 PM
I don't think that there's really any discussion regarding the MARBs authority.  What would make anyone think that the MARB would have any authority over the rulings of the BoG?  Even if the MARB decided that some sort of action was unwarranted, it doesn't mean that they have the authority to reverse a decision...

Ah but I beg to differ.  The MARB actually has so much power by regulation it can just decide that something needs their attention.  That rule has GOT to go!

I'm not so sure.  I think it's a good idea to have a essentially independent group of experienced individuals who can throw the BS flag when something seems inappropriate.  I think of the MARB kind of like a Grand Jury, once they start investigating something they can go where it takes them.  We may not always like the results, but at least it gets someone's attention.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

ProdigalJim

Very often in official Washington (where I have been a professional denizen for 22 years) a service branch will purposely "under-request" on a line item, with a winking acknowledgment that lawmakers (really, the anonymous staffers who put in lots more hours) will plus-up the request. Officially, the service will swear up and down that they never engage in that kind of practice, but, in fact it's done all the time. The idea is for a service to be able to point to "popular support" for a particular program. "See, the subcommitte mark-up added $4 million!" Not in all programs, and probably not even in most programs, but sometimes when there is a political need or a program has become a legislative hostage of some kind.

I have no idea if that's happening in the case of the CAP appropriation request. I *have* seen that kind of thing play itself out over the years in the Appropriations subcommittees...

Also, I too enjoyed Ned's candor and detail. Thanks!

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

SABRE17

so we should all call our elected representatives in congress and the senate and ask them nicely for the 4.5m?

Al Sayre

The way they are throwing pork into the tax bill, we should ask them for 4.5 Billion, nobody would even notice, but we could do a lot of good with it...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JeffDG

Quote from: Al Sayre on December 11, 2010, 02:51:07 AM
The way they are throwing pork into the tax bill, we should ask them for 4.5 Billion, nobody would even notice, but we could do a lot of good with it...
Hire consultants to design uniforms?   >:D

bosshawk

Have the consultants confer with the many CAPtalk members who design uniforms all the time.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Kojack

Apparently the BoG has reasserted it's authority over the MARB and reaffirmed that Mr. Tilton is no longer allowed in the hallowed halls.

Now they need to change the "Lifetime Appointment" so it's not the Supreme Court.

BillB

Ned listed increase cadet membership 10% is a short term goal.  How can this be done when National hasn't had recruiting material useful on the local level since 2002? And what major recruiting effort or PLAN  has come forth from the hollowed halls of Maxwell? Just as a guess I'd say 90% of recruiting at the Squadron level is by word of mouth from cadet to prospective cadet.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

FW

Quote from: Kojack on December 11, 2010, 06:47:04 PM
Apparently the BoG has reasserted it's authority over the MARB and reaffirmed that Mr. Tilton is no longer allowed in the hallowed halls.

Now they need to change the "Lifetime Appointment" so it's not the Supreme Court.
Actually, the members of the MARB serve an "indeterminate" term and may be removed at any time.... BY THE BoG.  Isn't it nice there is a body within CAP whose only concern is for the C&BL's and regulations of CAP to be followed and, not the political whims of any commander.

Just for giggles: the Tilton Case was heard by the MARB because of a specific clause in CAPR 35-8. That clause, I understand, is still in force.  During the review of the case, it was found that proper procedures were not followed by the NEC.  It was also determined the "evidence" in his hearing was misrepresented. 
The Chairman of the MARB for this case was a former NLO, understands governace issues and, agreed with the 4 members on all counts. 
The BoG agreed that the MARB should hear the case.  It only asked the appeal be delayed until after an IG investigation occurred over a related matter.
The General Council for CAP agreed the MARB could hear the case.
That being said.  The BoG was under no obligation to reinstate Col Tilton; as, that body is above the MARB and, the GC.

Oh, and just for some historical perspective; the vast majority of MARB decisions sustained the commanders' actions over the years.  As, almost all actions have been proper and have followed proper procedures.

DakRadz

Quote from: BillB on December 11, 2010, 09:38:31 PM
Ned listed increase cadet membership 10% is a short term goal.  How can this be done when National hasn't had recruiting material useful on the local level since 2002? And what major recruiting effort or PLAN  has come forth from the hollowed halls of Maxwell? Just as a guess I'd say 90% of recruiting at the Squadron level is by word of mouth from cadet to prospective cadet.
I'll point out that these numbers may have been hypothetical out-of-the-hat examples purely for comparative purposes.

Ned

Quote from: DakRadz on December 12, 2010, 04:23:00 AM
Quote from: BillB on December 11, 2010, 09:38:31 PM
I'll point out that these numbers may have been hypothetical out-of-the-hat examples purely for comparative purposes.

No, it wasn't a hypothetical figure, but one drawn from the 2011 plan.

(The plan is to add another 2,633 cadets this year, up from 26,335.)

And my friend Bill is just a little behind the times, and apparently missed the recent publication of Cadet Great Start, perhaps the most comprehensive and unit-friendly recruiting program ever published by NHQ.

It contains new brochures, posters, videos, lesson plans, etc.  Everything needed to plan and schedule a dynamic open house and recruitng program.

It has been receiving great reviews from the field.

Another example of the outstanding new materials published by the CP shop at NHQ.  The tiny four-empolyee shop is responsible for supporting the largest single mission of CAP - our cadet program.  And they have a laser-like focus on supporting local units.

"It's all about Tuesday night."

Ned Lee

jimmydeanno

I also find the new Cadet Recruiting Brochure to be very useful.  It's full color, cheap to reproduce locally if needed, doesn't have old men on the front, and talks about all the cool stuff that cadets do.

If I'm not mistaken, cadet membership is up around 14% in the last year or so.  I would imagine that 10% is a very attainable goal.