"The CAP Polo shirt is NOT authorized for this activity."

Started by Swampfox, October 01, 2010, 04:16:20 PM

RiverAux

I wasn't commenting on the validity or appropriateness of the reg, just the fact that unless a new or current member decides to read 39-1 for the fun of it, they are very unlikely to be told of their obligation to buy these uniforms.  Maybe there is some mention of it in our latest new member materials it isn't something they're likely to come across.

If the minimum uniform is something that is important to CAP it probably should be just as obvious as are the annual dues.

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on October 02, 2010, 02:27:19 PMThen again there is the simple fact that the golf shirt culture is winning out in CAP.  Much as I hate to say it, I would not be surprised if CAP dumped the military style uniforms within 10-15 years just because so few people are wearing them anymore.  The trend is only getting worse.

Maybe on the Senior Member Squadron side of the house. You still see the majority of the Senior Members who work with the Cadet Program in the military style uniforms.

A.Member

Quote from: PHall on October 02, 2010, 03:33:06 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on October 02, 2010, 02:27:19 PMThen again there is the simple fact that the golf shirt culture is winning out in CAP.  Much as I hate to say it, I would not be surprised if CAP dumped the military style uniforms within 10-15 years just because so few people are wearing them anymore.  The trend is only getting worse.

Maybe on the Senior Member Squadron side of the house. You still see the majority of the Senior Members who work with the Cadet Program in the military style uniforms.
We're proud of the fact that none of our senior members wears the golf outfit and we strive to do more than simply meet minimum standards.  It adds to our esprit de corps.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

A.Member

Quote from: RiverAux on October 02, 2010, 03:13:33 PM
I wasn't commenting on the validity or appropriateness of the reg, just the fact that unless a new or current member decides to read 39-1 for the fun of it, they are very unlikely to be told of their obligation to buy these uniforms.  Maybe there is some mention of it in our latest new member materials it isn't something they're likely to come across.

If the minimum uniform is something that is important to CAP it probably should be just as obvious as are the annual dues.
This is the responsibilty of the squadron.  Uniforms are discussed at the prospective members first squadron visit and expectations are set.  Our recruiting officer hosts a uniform session, along with our Level 1 for every new member.  In addition, we do a refresher uniform course at least annually for all members during one of our regular meetings.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RADIOMAN015

Frankly, I see no reason why the Polo Shirt can't be utilized for most classrom type training activities.

I think that many members find that the polo shirt is more comfortable and is much less resistent to dirt/grime etc than that white aviator shirt.  That's my prime uniform (have both short sleeve & long sleeve polos) I wear at our squadron's meetings and occasionally wear my Blue BDU's. 

For the record, as an attendee & instructor at SLS seminars, I've worn the appropriate required uniform (which was the white aviator shirt).   I've also supported a regional training activity that allowed any CAP uniform, and there were many more golf shirts wearers in attendance than any other uniform combination. 

Surely we should encourage our senior membership to get the correct uniforms, BUT I'm not so sure in a classroom setting why a golf shirt couldn't be authorized.  It's the content of the information presented & discussed rather than what uniform that is worn that is important, in my opinion.
RM

jimmydeanno

The atmosphere of an SLS, CLC, RSC, NSC, is conveyed in the uniforms that people wear to them.    For something like an SLS, it is important to have people in something other than a polo, it conveys the level of professionalism that we want our volunteers to possess and gives a better perspective of the atmosphere and culture of our organization.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

A.Member

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 02, 2010, 07:22:20 PM
The atmosphere of an SLS, CLC, RSC, NSC, is conveyed in the uniforms that people wear to them.    For something like an SLS, it is important to have people in something other than a polo, it conveys the level of professionalism that we want our volunteers to possess and gives a better perspective of the atmosphere and culture of our organization.
That atmosphere is important even outside those activities. 

Our cadets wear an military style uniforms.   They look to seniors for guidance.  Seniors have a responsibility to lead by example.  As such proper uniform wear is critical.   

The next logical progression is to have a collective approach (ie. uniform) - we are all in this together, one team.   Thus, the Air Force style uniform is preferred and encouraged in our squadron, along with the corporate alternative for those that don't meet the wear standards.  As I mentioned, it is a source of pride with us. 

I've spoken with many cadets (both within our squadron and outside of it) on this topic and it's amazing how important the common/one team image is to them, especially from the Senior members.  It's somewhat subtle but it adds to the overall professional image and attitude.  The cadets notice when a member doesn't take the time to wear their uniform correctly and they particularly appreciate when the extra effort is made to be in the military style uniforms.  Even if a senior does not work directly with cadets, they will undoubtedly be seen by cadets at some point - so this matters for them as well. 

PWK-GT

Quote from: phirons on October 01, 2010, 10:34:16 PM
..... Considering the number of seniors who never complete Level II, I'd lean toward not putting barriers to attendance.

The only real barriers are the individual's willingness to comply to the regs, and maybe his/her command staff's ability to set the correct tone.

YMMV
"Is it Friday yet"

HGjunkie

Here's my $0.02:

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 02, 2010, 07:11:03 PM
Frankly, I see no reason why the Polo Shirt can't be utilized for most classrom type training activities.

You could make the same argument for the CP. Why should cadets have to wear Blues/BDUs during classroom instruction and SM's dont?

QuoteSurely we should encourage our senior membership to get the correct uniforms, BUT I'm not so sure in a classroom setting why a golf shirt couldn't be authorized.  It's the content of the information presented & discussed rather than what uniform that is worn that is important, in my opinion.
RM

Again, same argument for cadets as above. Yes, I know CAP Cadets are "military cadets" and we're the USAF AUX, but if SM's can wear the Polos, why not cadets?

Quote from: A.Member on October 02, 2010, 07:41:11 PMI've spoken with many cadets (both within our squadron and outside of it) on this topic and it's amazing how important the common/one team image is to them, especially from the Senior members.  It's somewhat subtle but it adds to the overall professional image and attitude.

I like this. I think it makes a good impression about a SM you've never met before when they are in a proper uniform during a class. But, if you are familiar with the person, it shouldn't matter what uniform they're wearing.

QuoteThe cadets notice when a member doesn't take the time to wear their uniform correctly and they particularly appreciate when the extra effort is made to be in the military style uniforms.  Even if a senior does not work directly with cadets, they will undoubtedly be seen by cadets at some point - so this matters for them as well. 

I can see a uniform problem from 15 feet away, no joke. If a SM is wearing a uniform properly, I think it gives a good impression about how dedicated and serious they are about CAP.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Майор Хаткевич

In the old days of me as a cadet, I would be discretely asked to walk around on blues nights for SMs, and "gently" let folks know if there are any issues/report to the SM command staff. Not that it would change much for the next time the uniform is worn.

Spotting mistakes from 15ft away was fun, now I need glasses to do that...

a2capt

Quote from: eaker.cadet on October 02, 2010, 04:03:55 AMPolo shirts suck.......  I prefer the golf shirt
Some time back, probably about the time the little 'b' was out, and the Big 'V' moved in, the style/make of the "Golf" shirt that was offered did change. Perhaps this is what is being referenced.

I prefer the prior offering, myself, and have been meaning to see if it can be sourced elsewhere and have the seal added to it except that the whole C&D thing probably makes the latter a bit more difficult.

Custer

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 02, 2010, 07:11:03 PMFrankly, I see no reason why the Polo Shirt can't be utilized for most classroom type training activities. I think that many members find that the polo shirt is more comfortable and is much less resistant to dirt/grime etc than that white aviator shirt.  That's my prime uniform (have both short sleeve & long sleeve polos) I wear at our squadron's meetings and occasionally wear my Blue BDU's.

My understanding is that the Polo is the budget substitute for  BDU's and Flight Suits for those who cannot afford them.  You take your aviator whites you wear to regular meetings - change the shirt and you have a minimally acceptable field & flying uniform.  The Polo is not the best / first choice for anything as far as I can tell.

Now as a veteran of a US Government agency that used white shirts for daily wear - keeping them clean wasn't the issue I expected with white - we were actually doing a lot of physical work - but after a while the shirts turned a dingy grey.  After I left that particular agency switched to all polyester light blue.

For that matter, the blue in the 1549 shirts tends to fade out with time too.

ßτε

I wonder if anyone has read CAPR 39-1 Table 4-8. CAP Distinctive Uniform Equivalents to USAF-Style Uniform.

cap235629

in this part of the country when you attend any training OUTSIDE of CAP (IC300, IC400 etc.) the uniform of the day seems to be polo shirts and khaki pants either dress style or "tactical" pants.  The polo with tactical pants seems to be the uniform of choice in an operational sense.  I personally wear this uniform (with gray tactical pants of course) more than any other as I am often interfacing with other agencies.  In classes I wear gray dress slacks and the polo.  The only time I wear the aviator whites to a class is for graduation photos.... Comfort and function over playing dress up.... YMMV
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

a2capt

Quote from: cap235629 on October 03, 2010, 04:53:08 PM... and khaki pants either dress style or "tactical" pants.
..the only thing uniform is.. lack of uniformity.  :o
Amazing, I've never any reference to khaki, tan, beige, etc., in 39-1.

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on October 03, 2010, 06:00:12 PM
Quote from: cap235629 on October 03, 2010, 04:53:08 PM... and khaki pants either dress style or "tactical" pants.
..the only thing uniform is.. lack of uniformity.  :o
Amazing, I've never any reference to khaki, tan, beige, etc., in 39-1.

I think he's talking about the other agencies.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Custer

Quote from: a2capt on October 03, 2010, 06:00:12 PM
..the only thing uniform is.. lack of uniformity.  :o Amazing, I've never any reference to khaki, tan, beige, etc., in 39-1.

There is none.  However various activities in CAP keep prescribing it as the uniform, even at Region level.   Considering how many shades of grey you can wear and still be technically correct I'm surprised the rule isn't changed to something like  "long pants only, no shorts or sandals".

Official videos put out by national even show the polo shirt being worn with blue jeans.

a2capt

Yes, I read the "OUTSIDE" of CAP, though I have to presume that the context is attending such training representing CAP as discussed in this thread.

tsrup

On topic,
If you don't have the minimum required uniform by 39-1.  You have already failed SLS, and any other course that follows it.

Follow the rules: get the course credit.

CAP stands nothing to gain by allowing those that do not follow the Regs to progress.  Plain and Simple.

Paramedic
hang-around.

Gung Ho

Quote from: tsrup on October 03, 2010, 07:09:32 PM
On topic,
If you don't have the minimum required uniform by 39-1.  You have already failed SLS, and any other course that follows it.

Follow the rules: get the course credit.

CAP stands nothing to gain by allowing those that do not follow the Regs to progress.  Plain and Simple.

Maybe if it is required CAP should change the FAQ on the website because there is a question there about do you have to wear and uniform and it say you could be required to for some activities not that you will have any basic uniform.