Health Services Officers

Started by keenanw1, August 10, 2010, 04:07:41 AM

MICT1362

When did reading exactly what you wrote become assuming?

Eclipse

In the interest of not alienating a new member.

What I intended to convey, and have said any number of times in related threads, is if you join CAP do do specific, technician-level job such as Comms, EMT, etc., or are an ES professional expecting your skills to relate directly 1-for-1 to a CAP job, you will be disappointed.

As I have said numerous times in related threads, the mindset and education of ES personnel and professionals in general is needed by CAP in the management of the organization and the sense of urgency and purpose they bring, however there is little-to-no wrenching-turning work in CAP for Doctors, EMT's, Police Officers or firefighters.

If they can manage a scene, great.  Not all ES personnel even attend ICS classes in the sense CAP uses them - many departments relegate that to supervisors, but if they expect to use oxygen, insert IV's, or run hose lines, we will not be the best fit.

Even people with skills that directly relate like pilots and comms tend to struggle in CAP if they join and stay tunnel-visioned to a certain
job or qualification, especially if their "thing" isn't the "thing" the unit they join does.

"That Others May Zoom"

MICT1362

You wont alienate me. Promise. But I do appreciate your tactful response. 

I will remind you that what is, is whats perceived.  Which is why people always think we are the RM.

Most technicians I know would understand that they can't just go rogue and do whatever they want.  That is part of being professional.  So I apologize for my profession if you have dealt with the rogues.  What these people are great for is information.  For instance, our wing uses medical professionals as a means to determine whether hospital trips are truly warranted.  Ultimately its a Command decision, but most Commanders trust their people enough to make a good decision if they need one.

Just because we use the ICS system in different ways doesn't mean that we don't adjust.  And just like all CAP ES people, all Regular ES people are required to have the basics. So the systems are very mirrored. At least from what I have seen.

It does no one any good to have tunnel vision.  So an open mind is what is important in everything.

And just out of curiosity, when did CAP units have specialties?  Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, but didn't think that we were in the business of having specialty units.

Short Field

Quote from: MICT1362 on August 20, 2010, 09:35:41 PM
And just out of curiosity, when did CAP units have specialties?  Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, but didn't think that we were in the business of having specialty units.
Join a Senior Squadron and see how much time you spend working with cadets.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

MICT1362

Are Senior Squadrons not active in groups or wings?  Last time I checked, every wing has cadets, and if you are participating at the activities of higher echelons then you would likely have interaction with cadets.  I guess there is a very slim possibility that these elusive cadets might not ever be seen, but I doubt it.  As much as I understand that Senior Squadrons don't have cadets, doesn't mean you can't go out of your way to work with them.  It's a choice.

Sorry, off topic a bit. I'll stop.

Short Field

Quote from: MICT1362 on August 21, 2010, 12:43:17 AM
As much as I understand that Senior Squadrons don't have cadets, doesn't mean you can't go out of your way to work with them.  It's a choice.Sorry, off topic a bit. I'll stop.
Most who are really working with cadets join a composite or cadet squadron.  Outside of O-ride pilots, most senior squadrons members avoid cadets if at all possible.  Yes, it is a choice.   

Senior Squadrons being active in groups or wings?  Yes, all the senior members like to attend the group and wing staff meeting so we can provide them our much sought after advice.   I believe at the next SAREX we are going to have one cadet show up - maybe.
Wilson #2640

NCRblues

^ um....why? Did you not invite the cadets or....?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Short Field

We took a poll among the senior members and only the top cadet in the wing was invited to attend.  The others were ordered to stay home.  Isn't that how all wings do it.   Duh....
Wilson #2640

Pace

Quote from: Short Field on August 22, 2010, 04:40:41 AM
We took a poll among the senior members and only the top cadet in the wing was invited to attend.  The others were ordered to stay home.  Isn't that how all wings do it.   Duh....
Wow...  Just, freakin wow...
Lt Col, CAP

HGjunkie

We took a poll among the senior members and only the top cadet in the wing was invited to attend.  The others were ordered to stay home.  Isn't that how all wings do it.    Duh....
I don't think so...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

davidsinn

Quote from: Pace on August 22, 2010, 01:56:58 PM
Wow...  Just, freakin wow...

I think our chain is pulling yanked...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DakRadz

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 22, 2010, 02:04:22 PM
We took a poll among the senior members and only the top cadet in the wing was invited to attend.  The others were ordered to stay home.  Isn't that how all wings do it.    Duh....
I don't think so...
Since when? What, jealous because you aren't the top cadet in the wing?? I'm sooo glad I was invited, but it was lonely with no other cadets... ::)

See this:
Quote from: davidsinn on August 22, 2010, 02:57:03 PMI think our chain is pulling yanked...
I agree.

NCRblues

Please do not respond to me with a "duh". You would not do that to my face so please do not do so here. I was asking a legitimate question. Why are you only having one cadet show up? Is it a numbers problem? A cadet participation problem? Qualifications, or recruiting problem?

SarDragon

NCR, I think you missed the sarcasm.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: NCRblues on August 22, 2010, 11:59:11 PMPlease do not respond to me with a "duh". You would not do that to my face so please do not do so here.

Yeah, a lot of us would...

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

Than you need to grow up and learn to hold adult conversations. Maybe a little less time on captalk...more time in the real world....

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NCRblues on August 23, 2010, 05:18:55 AM
Than you need to grow up and learn to hold adult conversations. Maybe a little less time on captalk...more time in the real world....

Ouch! Ad Homiem to the max!

Eclipse

Quote from: NCRblues on August 23, 2010, 05:18:55 AM

Duh...

"That Others May Zoom"