National Blue Beret Questions (2011)

Started by AndrewA74, August 09, 2010, 06:18:44 AM

AndrewA74

Hello,
I'm looking into maybe applying for Blue Beret in 2011. According to the website the following requirements are:

16 YOA
CAPF 101 GT Trainee
CAPF 60
CAPF 31
FA Card Desirable

Now, if I am to apply to this NCSA, what could / should I do to make myself more equipped for NBB and more desirable for the application process? I'm a C/MSgt currently but I want to be a C/1LT by the time it rolls around next year.

Now, I also have a few more questions:

-I've heard this is a physically demanding NCSA, how hard is it physically? Is there lots of PT?

-How hard is it to get into the NBB?

-If you've been, what advice do you have for me?

Thanks a lot guys.
Andrew

RickFranz

AndrewA74

From what I understand the way the selection works is, you first complete the application on line.  Then your Wing is suppose to rank you in order from those wishing to go from your Wing.  Then National uses a ranking system based on rank, how many encampments you have been too.

As for your other questions, the physically demanding part.  There is no PT.  There is a lot of walking and standing with your gear on.  I would make sure your boots are well broken in and to only carry what is required.  You will also need to get use to seeing what 0530 looks like.   ;D
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

a2capt

16 by the start of the activity, not the year of,  that starts the week prior to AirVenture.

... the PT part? There's not PT like encampment. But rather, as noted, lots of activity that in and of itself will take care of that PT requirement for you .. in no time.

You're at the "worlds busiest (by far) airport" for over a week, there may be 10,000 aircraft there. There's bound to be ELTs set off.

This is the mother of all ramp checks. You think a few T-Hangars can be challenging ..  ;D

Chasing ELTs is only the beginning.

AndrewA74

a2capt,
It is my understanding that it will become illegal for those type of ELT's to be in use by that time? I thought the FAA and FCC had gotten into the argument because the FCC wants the new ones in. Anyways, that sounds good to me, I'm sure they'll be some more of those ELT's floating around after the cut-off date. But why the GT trainee? Wouldn't the ELTs fall under UDF? Thanks again.
Andrew

HGjunkie

Quote from: AndrewA74 on August 09, 2010, 05:23:20 PM
a2capt,
It is my understanding that it will become illegal for those type of ELT's to be in use by that time? I thought the FAA and FCC had gotten into the argument because the FCC wants the new ones in. Anyways, that sounds good to me, I'm sure they'll be some more of those ELT's floating around after the cut-off date. But why the GT trainee? Wouldn't the ELTs fall under UDF? Thanks again.
Andrew
IIRC, I think the ELT Req. is under both GTM3 and UDF. They share some of the same Reqs.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Hawk200

Quote from: AndrewA74 on August 09, 2010, 05:23:20 PM
But why the GT trainee? Wouldn't the ELTs fall under UDF? Thanks again.
UDF is composed of tasks excerpted from the GT qualification. The UDF allows people to get out and functional quickly. The only task that is different is the pack requirements.

a2capt

Illegal doesn't mean they all vanish.

.. and they're not illegal. Not yet, and not anytime soon without a huge fight from the FAA and AOPA. ...and still, then again, they still broadcast on the same homing frequency that we would (also) use for a 406 unit.

Since it's just as simple to get training status in UDF vs. GT, you just get the GT SQTR and when you get enough for UDF, submit for that rating and continue on the GT stuff as well to round it out.  Since it's a two week activity, and one of it's objectives is supporting AirVenture, along the way while you're not pounding the ramp areas of KOSH, you'll be working on other tasks on that GT SQTR.

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on August 09, 2010, 06:20:56 PM
Illegal doesn't mean they all vanish.

.. and they're not illegal. Not yet, and not anytime soon without a huge fight from the FAA and AOPA. ...and still, then again, they still broadcast on the same homing frequency that we would (also) use for a 406 unit.

Since it's just as simple to get training status in UDF vs. GT, you just get the GT SQTR and when you get enough for UDF, submit for that rating and continue on the GT stuff as well to round it out.  Since it's a two week activity, and one of it's objectives is supporting AirVenture, along the way while you're not pounding the ramp areas of KOSH, you'll be working on other tasks on that GT SQTR.

There are a few items on UDF that are not on GTM so take a SQTR for both.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

UDF is for operations in an "Urban" area on hard tarmac, generally in the vicinity of airports, with an assumption that robust infrastructure
is available and professional services are never far.  It has components of both the GT & GTL curriculum because it is designed to function with only two members who must lead themselves.

GTM concentrates on more survival skills and non-urban searches and areas, with an emphasis on self-, and team-reliance in situations where you, yourself, are lost, or on a multi-day mission.  From an equipment standpoint, it assumes a higher state of readiness and self-reliance for personal safety and comfort than UDF or even aircrew.

"That Others May Zoom"

UWONGO2

I'm also considering applying for Oshkosh as a senior member (Which my squadron commander probably didn't know about until now - hi sir!).

Is senior member involvement similar to being a TAC officer at encampment or will I get to put my FLM skills (or lack thereof) to work?

I know it's a long way off but I need to plan my time off from work. I'm interested in hearing from other SMs who have attended to hear opinions if the activity is worthwhile for us old farts.

jeders

Quote from: UWONGO2 on August 10, 2010, 10:23:10 AM
I'm also considering applying for Oshkosh as a senior member (Which my squadron commander probably didn't know about until now - hi sir!).

Is senior member involvement similar to being a TAC officer at encampment or will I get to put my FLM skills (or lack thereof) to work?

I know it's a long way off but I need to plan my time off from work. I'm interested in hearing from other SMs who have attended to hear opinions if the activity is worthwhile for us old farts.

First off, any chance you can get to see that many aircraft is worth it.

Using only my cadet experience as far as encampment TACs are concerned, you are far more involved as a TAC at NBB. My experience with encampment TACs is that they check your fluid intake and feet a couple of times a day and then go hang out with the other TAC. At NBB, you are out on the flight line, or wherever else the cadets are working, with them. You spend most of your time walking the line checking on each of your cadets, but you can take a couple minutes with each to marshal a couple of planes.

Beyond that, working with and mentoring a group of generally high speed cadets, regardless of the setting, is also always worth it. Just remember one thing, make sure your cadets are wearing their ^(*$#(% sunscreen. I had one cadet get burned on the INSIDE of his ear, but not the outside.

Come to think of it, maybe I'll ask the wife for some time off so I can be a TAC up there again.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Spaceman3750

I've been thinking about going as an SM but it's either NESA staff for two weeks or NBB staff for two weeks. Thoughts?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

dmac

I have never been to NESA but have been to NBB. It really depends what you want to do. Airventure is quite a sight and to be able to be there for the entire time is pretty cool. If you haven't been there I would recommend that. You are under a real mission number pretty much the entire time. The year I went as a senior, we had AFRCC missions before we went operational. Despite what people feel about the berets, I still think NBB is a valuable activity, and the EAA does too  I am not diminishing NESA, far from it. I haven't been and may go someday.

addo1

Quote from: AndrewA74 on August 09, 2010, 06:18:44 AM
Hello,
I'm looking into maybe applying for Blue Beret in 2011. According to the website the following requirements are:

16 YOA
CAPF 101 GT Trainee
CAPF 60
CAPF 31
FA Card Desirable

Now, if I am to apply to this NCSA, what could / should I do to make myself more equipped for NBB and more desirable for the application process? I'm a C/MSgt currently but I want to be a C/1LT by the time it rolls around next year.

-I've heard this is a physically demanding NCSA, how hard is it physically? Is there lots of PT?

Thanks a lot guys.
Andrew

I would say that it is low-demanding on the physical part. I just got back and the hardest thing you will do is stand for two hours on the same spot of grass waiting and hoping a plane comes by to marshall. Getting into NBB is fairly competitive I believe, but is still easier than the top competitive ones like COS/IACE.
This year, I feel that the activity was extremely weak, but I believe most of that was due to weather conditions. All in all, the airshow is the best in the world and is something NOT to miss!
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: addo1 on August 10, 2010, 05:56:41 PM
I would say that it is low-demanding on the physical part. I just got back and the hardest thing you will do is stand for two hours on the same spot of grass waiting and hoping a plane comes by to marshall. Getting into NBB is fairly competitive I believe, but is still easier than the top competitive ones like COS/IACE.
This year, I feel that the activity was extremely weak, but I believe most of that was due to weather conditions. All in all, the airshow is the best in the world and is something NOT to miss!

We had to account for the weather this year. Standing around waiting for a plane to come is not normal for NBB (there was only one time my shoulder started to hurt from the amount of marshaling, instead of every time I went out, which is what I expected). I enjoyed my time, made alot of new friends and had a great time when we had airshow time. Even though this year doesn't compare to past years, it is still the biggest and best airshow I have ever been to.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

PHall

Hello,

16 YOA
CAPF 101 GT Trainee
CAPF 60
CAPF 31
FA Card Desirable

Thanks a lot guys.
Andrew

Have you completed Encampment? You can not apply until you have completed Encampment.

AndrewA74

Yes, I've completed NCWG - NATCAP 2009 Encampment

TyKButton

The best thing to do would be to talk to the cadets and seniors in your wing about what to expect from NBB, they are your greatest resource. I also would encourage you to work on as many of the ES quals that you can. While you do receive the training at the activity, its nice to have that for review, instead of it being completely new to you. National Blue Beret is by far my favorite of the five NCSA's that I have been too, and I guarantee you will enjoy it if you go!
Billy Mitchell   56580   
Amelia Earhart   14571
C/Maj Ty Button

MICT1362

NBB is well worth your time as a Cadet or Senior.  And this past year was a wash because of the weather.  If things go like they are supposed to you will be busy from the time you inprocess until the time you outprocess.  Now, given that some of that busy, will be busy work, especially the first and last days.  We do have to put everything up and take everything back down.

Cadets- You will be functioning as a FLM, part of a UDF team, work in Communications, log every aircraft that comes into the air field, and do site security for several different things.  Even though we don't get to march any more, you spend a lot of time on your feet.  So, make sure that you have good boots!  And if the planes come like they are supposed to, your arms will be tired from marshalling aircraft constantly for a couple hours at a time.

Seniors- It will depends on the job that you do, but from a TAC's point of view, you will be just as busy.  Assisting with all of the searchs, walking the flight line to check on each cadet in your flight, and possibly the other flight if something happens.  And just FYI, the Flight Line is about a mile long for each flight.  So, you stand to walk 3-4 miles per FL shift as a TAC.  When you go to Warbirds, you walk some more, about a 1/4-1/2 mile line this time.  Same with Ultra-lights.  It might be more important for SM's to have good boots than it is for cadets.  My first year there I estimated that I put close to 45 miles on my boots off of those three areas alone.  That doesn't account for walking all over the airfield during free time, around the compound or anything like that. 

2010 was deffinately nothing close to normal.  If anybody has specific questions about things, feel free to send me a PM.  I have been 4 times already and am hoping to make 2011 #5.  We will see how that goes.  Let me know if I can help. 

-Paramedic

Ozzy

Hm.......... Do you also get credit towards the SAR ribbon while at NBB?
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

addo1

The Air Search and Rescue award *can* be earned while at the activity. I finished up mine there.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

MICT1362

You can earn several ribbons while at NBB.  First off, as long as you succesfully complete the activity requirements you earn the NCSA Ribbon.  It is very rare that you don't earn the Find Ribbon as addo1 said.  There have also been instances in the past where Saves have been awarded to accompany the normal Finds.  You can also get close to earning you SAR Ribbon.  That is completely dependant on how many sorties your flight gets.  But it isn't uncommon for flights to earn it.

-Paramedic

onetimeoneplace

Hello,

16 YOA
CAPF 101 GT Trainee
CAPF 60
CAPF 31
FA Card Desirable

Thanks a lot guys.
Andrew

In terms of physical activity, there was no morning PT last year (I was told that it was a safety hazard), but there was a DF competition the first week that involved some serious running.

About getting in: A lot of people apply to this activity every year. Getting in is just like any other NCSA (e.g. the point system, interviews), but there are not that many slots. Last year, there were only about 150 or so cadets.

Some advice:
-Get good boots. I had those $30 jungle boots (because my feet are still growing, and I don't want to outgrow an expensive pair of boots), and after a week, the bottom of one of them cracked and subsequently tore right in half.
-If you go, make sure you follow every precaution and rule that you are given. Safety is a large concern at NBB, since you are working in a rapidly changing environment on the flight line. In addition, the weather is highly variable, too. Last year, days before the airshow. Oshkosh was hit by its largest rainstorm in two decades, and as a result, there was a lot of water here and there. And, it can get hot on the flight line, so wear a good amount of sunblock and insect repellent (adds another level of protection from another hazard - mosquitoes).
-During the airshow, if you have a lot of downtime in your flight's schedule, go out to the airshow grounds. It's really cool to see the vast scale of this activity.
-Bring paracord (a.k.a. 550 cord). It's treated like money at NBB. Last year, many people made "paracord bracelets" that were really cool. My flight's TAC officer made one for me, and I have worn it at every CAP-related activity since.
-When you earn your beret, you'll have to shave the loose wool "fuzzies" off of it. Wait until your flight gets together to shave it. I started shaving my beret a bit too early, and ended up with a small hole on top of the beret.
-Get to know your flight, very well. You'll be spending two weeks with them, so by the end, you'll act not just as a flight, but a family. Also, get to know other people at NBB.
-If it's on the packing list, bring it. If it's not, don't. Also, make sure you use the packing list given to you, not lists from previous years posted online. One exception to this is t-shirts (brown or black, or whatever you wear at your squadron's meeting). You don't get your NBB t-shirts until a few days into the activity, so you'll need something to wear.
-Remember that your flight's TAC officer is your friend, too. If you have any problems at all, talk to him/her. They're here to help you. Also, your flight's staff, or the returning Berets are helpful people.

Just throwing out some tips.

P.S. Two month thread bump! ;)
C/Capt Isaac McDermott, CAP
PAWG Basic Encampment 2009, Staff 2011 (PAO), Staff 2013 (Inspections)
Pennsylvania Wing
Tri-Wing Encampment Staff 2013 (Public Affairs OIC)
GTM3, UDF, MRO, FLM
NJWG RCLS 2010
Mitchell #60963
National Blue Beret 2010 + 2012, SUPTFC-MS 2012
Earhart #15947
Cadet Officer School 2013