How to Start up a color guard and honor guard.

Started by Cms.sloane, August 02, 2010, 08:15:03 PM

Cms.sloane

My squadron has had a major hike in new recruits. So we have decided to start up a color guard and in the near future a honor guard. Most of us NCOs have been on a color guard team in the past but we don't exactly know how to start one up.

Does anybody know how to start up a color guard. Are there any manuals or books do we need. Or how should we have try outs? 

tsrup

take a look at 52-8.  That is the CAP honor guard bible. 

There are some nuances in there that are strictly honor guard stuff, but a lot of the colors element things are the same. 

Also check the D&C manual for both the AF and for CAP.  And if you plan on doing competitions see if you can get your hands on the Rules of Engagement for National Cadet Competition.  There are some things in all of the drill manuals that aren't covered specifically that are covered in the ROE.

Otherwise, best of luck!  Color Guard takes a lot of work to do right, but it is extremely rewarding for all of those involved.
Paramedic
hang-around.

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Chief2009

Rifle drill is in the FM 3-21.5 (FM 22-5) DRILL AND CEREMONIES posted in the Drill & Ceremonies Resources sticky.

Make sure that the cadets you have selected have a very solid hold on standard D&C before you try to teach them anything more.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

Spaceman3750

Is there still a national "Rules of Engagement" publication for CG competitions? I know there used to be WIWAC but I havn't seen reference to it in a long time.

DC

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 11, 2010, 05:26:58 AM
Is there still a national "Rules of Engagement" publication for CG competitions? I know there used to be WIWAC but I havn't seen reference to it in a long time.
It's now CAPM 52-4.

GTCommando

While we're on the subject, my squadron is considering starting a color guard, so I've been trying to find some good, cheap equipment that we can start up with. Anyone know where to find some replica Springfields that won't break the bank?  :-\
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

HGjunkie

Quote from: GTCommando on September 10, 2010, 10:30:55 PM
While we're on the subject, my squadron is considering starting a color guard, so I've been trying to find some good, cheap equipment that we can start up with. Anyone know where to find some replica Springfields that won't break the bank?  :-\
Haven't seen any less than ~$90 bucks, but:

Glendale M1 replica

Glendale Springfield Replica

Generally, a wood grain/brown finish with a white sling is what's used.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

GTCommando

Thanks. I think I've seen them on the Hock Shop for just under $80.

Check that. I just looked and they're $83:00 for a set of two. If anyone can find them cheaper, please let me know. Here's the link:
http://www.thehock.com/category/PARADE-EQUIP-13
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

HGjunkie

Quote from: GTCommando on September 10, 2010, 11:27:12 PM
Thanks. I think I've seen them on the Hock Shop for just under $80.

Check that. I just looked and they're $83:00 for a set of two. If anyone can find them cheaper, please let me know. Here's the link:
http://www.thehock.com/category/PARADE-EQUIP-13
Huh. They must have updated their product line, I didn't see those before. That or I just missed it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Майор Хаткевич

The Mark 1's that were issued at HGA are awesome and look way better than the cheap 1903 "replicas". If you're looking for something to train with, I'd see if a local member can make dummy wooden copies. Also, the Mark 1s are plastic, which is better than the wood 1903s

GTCommando

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on September 11, 2010, 04:20:35 AM
The Mark 1's that were issued at HGA are awesome and look way better than the cheap 1903 "replicas".

Anyone know where I can find some?  :-\
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889

RADIOMAN015

From my observations of an award winning team, personally start your team off to do local functions & parades, with the competition angle as a secondary goal.   A Color guard team DOES NOT have to enter any competitions ::)   

The competition preparation is a lot of work for the cadets (as well as senior advisors) and likely will result in a practice session weekly and the last 1 month prior to the competitions, up to a couple of practice sessions each week.  I think even two weeks prior to the competition they were doing 3 times a week of practice, including almost all day on Saturdays & Sundays.

If you have the motivation to do this (with appropriate senior member motivation to support it also, which is very critical to success), than by all means go for it. :clap:

HOWEVER in my opinion, be sure you are having "fun" doing this, don't get too wrapped up into it as being your major goal to win a competition. Rather it should be to do a great job respresenting CAP in your community .
RM   

HGjunkie

Quote from: GTCommando on September 11, 2010, 03:10:53 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on September 11, 2010, 04:20:35 AM
The Mark 1's that were issued at HGA are awesome and look way better than the cheap 1903 "replicas".

Anyone know where I can find some?  :-\

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 10, 2010, 11:20:29 PM
Quote from: GTCommando on September 10, 2010, 10:30:55 PM
Haven't seen any less than ~$90 bucks, but:

Glendale M1 replica

Glendale Springfield Replica

Generally, a wood grain/brown finish with a white sling is what's used.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DC

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Major Lord

We had the awful "Davey Crockett" "sawn plank style rifles when I first came to the Squadron. Mostly used as beaters, and unsuitable for an actual Color Guard. We found that Big 5 had some very nice Moisin Nagant bolt action carbines, upon which, I carried out a bayonetectomy. We reblued the fittings and stained and lacquered the stocks. ( And of course rendered them incapable of chambering or firing actual ammo) The bolts got buffed on the buffing wheel, and for commmie weapons, they were kind of pretty. Very few people noticed; they looked like Cadet-sized Springfields! (with straight bolts unfortunately) when we came into a bit of money, we bought the chrome and plastic Garands......(How can you defend your Country's colors with a plastic rifle? You can't even give a good beating with it!) Very short cadets look silly with Garands-they should make a ceremonial M-1 Carbine!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."