CCAlex

how was your encampment dance?

Eclipse

Most encampments don't have a dance.

"That Others May Zoom"

CCAlex

DakRadz

It was... Interesting.

One of the TAC officers was my DCC, and as a medic and human being, she has concerns for cadet's safety.

I have too much of her trust...
When the dance became a mosh pit, she put me in charge of Law & Order.

Luckily it calmed shortly after.... That was really fun, though. I enjoyed watching cadets, basic and staff, unwind after the stress of the week. :D It was entertaining.

Daniel

anyone else see slight moral issues with an encampment having a dance?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Hawk200

Quote from: Daniel L on July 28, 2010, 05:54:13 AM
What moral issues are there?

Spaceman3750

Follow the six inch rule, nobody out of sight, and strict supervision so no PDA or other mischief happens and in my book you are perfectly in the clear. However, your moral compass is different than mine is and that is encouraged :).

The logistical hurdle that you hit is how you properly supervise that number of people in an otherwise close and semi-dark environment. Not being a seasoned chaperon I don't have an answer for that.

OP: When I went to encampment as a cadet a few years ago we did not have dances, but honestly by the end of the week I would not have wanted to dance, just sleep and go home.

Patterson

Back in the 90's, we used to bet on how many "Encampment Babies" would pop up in the April/May time frame!

I won with a bet of 3 in 96 and 99.  It got me a nice case of my favorite beverage, and some $$.

Today, that practice in frowned upon!

Spaceman3750

EDIT: Post nuked, I think/hope the sarcasm tags were left out above...

Daniel

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2010, 06:28:31 AM

Follow the six inch rule, nobody out of sight, and strict supervision so no PDA or other mischief happens and in my book you are perfectly in the clear. However, your moral compass is different than mine is and that is encouraged :).

The logistical hurdle that you hit is how you properly supervise that number of people in an otherwise close and semi-dark environment. Not being a seasoned chaperon I don't have an answer for that.

OP: When I went to encampment as a cadet a few years ago we did not have dances, but honestly by the end of the week I would not have wanted to dance, just sleep and go home.

I'm lucky mowg doesnt have dances. I've always been socially awkward so it would not have turned out well for ol'Danny  :(

edit: What kinda music would they play at these here shindigs?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spaceman3750

That's exactly why you should go to those types of things -to lose the awkwardness. Hang out with a buddy and chat it up with some new people. I was the same way in high school, not doing many things for whatever reason. Looking back, I wish I had done more "stuff" because now I feel like I missed out on a lot.

I still maintain that I wouldn't have wanted a dance at the end of encampment, for the same reason that I didn't go off base with any classmates or bother with canteen Friday night at NESA - I had just finished a long week of work and I was way too exhausted. But that's different than not being involved due to social concerns. YMMV

Edit: Most DJs carry censored versions of most popular songs for school dances. May as well use the same list.

Late night musings from my phone. Carry on :)

Daniel

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2010, 07:32:30 AM
That's exactly why you should go to those types of things -to lose the awkwardness. Hang out with a buddy and chat it up with some new people. I was the same way in high school, not doing many things for whatever reason. Looking back, I wish I had done more "stuff" because now I feel like I missed out on a lot.

I still maintain that I wouldn't have wanted a dance at the end of encampment, for the same reason that I didn't go off base with any classmates or bother with canteen Friday night at NESA - I had just finished a long week of work and I was way too exhausted. But that's different than not being involved due to social concerns. YMMV

Late night musings from my phone. Carry on :)

So no comment about the whole music thing eh!
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spaceman3750

See my edit. SMF doesn't warn of edits before you post sadly.

Daniel

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2010, 07:37:43 AM
See my edit. SMF doesn't warn of edits before you post sadly.

Well from what I understand, CAP cant bring drugs, sex, or violence into its enviroment

and if you go down a top40 list 39 of them are out.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spaceman3750

Good point. That's probably why most encampments don't have them.

Daniel

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2010, 07:44:21 AM

I have an idea, instead of dances, break out the glowstick and strobelights, we'll have a rave.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spaceman3750

When I think rave I think illicit substances and mist parents will too. Of course, both of us being upstanding members we don't see it that way, but it's all about perception.

A few months back student life on campus had a foam party. Variation of the same idea without the connotations. Introduces the logistical burden of white Tshirts though.

Daniel

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2010, 07:50:57 AM
When I think rave I think illicit substances and mist parents will too. Of course, both of us being upstanding members we don't see it that way, but it's all about perception.

A few months back student life on campus had a foam party. Variation of the same idea without the connotations. Introduces the logistical burden of white Tshirts though.

well cadets should bring white v-necks right?

and I was joking about the rave, I wanted you to think that.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spaceman3750

White tshirts when wet or soapy are bad, you can see through them. The point was that it's hard to make sure nobodys wearing them (just came to me that you could have flight eggs check before leaving the barracks so maybe it's a moot point).

Edit: you were down a good path with the rave idea though, you just can't call it that. That's why I treated it seriously even though it was a joke.
I about flipped when I saw Pattons post until I caught on though :p.

Daniel

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2010, 07:59:51 AM
White tshirts when wet or soapy are bad, you can see through them. The point was that it's hard to make sure nobodys wearing them (just came to me that you could have flight eggs check before leaving the barracks so maybe it's a moot point).

have them do it in a uniform like pts which here are a black t-shirt with navy-blue shorts. the only thing is I see host facilities getting p.oed
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spaceman3750

Of course, it would have to be cleared with the host... Also, see my edit above.

kd8gua

Back at my Basic Encampment, we did not have a dance, but we did have a pizza party/relax social setting. It was nice to unwind for a bit, that's for sure.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

Spaceman3750

Quote from: kd8gua on July 28, 2010, 08:16:22 AM
Back at my Basic Encampment, we did not have a dance, but we did have a pizza party/relax social setting. It was nice to unwind for a bit, that's for sure.

I forgot to mention, that's what we did at mine, it was a nice way to relax. I suspect it's the most common end of week activity, but can't verify it.

Daniel

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2010, 08:21:05 AM
Quote from: kd8gua on July 28, 2010, 08:16:22 AM

I forgot to mention, that's what we did at mine, it was a nice way to relax. I suspect it's the most common end of week activity, but can't verify it.

at my basic encampment they didn't believe in relaxation.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Cobra1597

MAWG has had a "cadet social" at our encampments for as long as I can remember, usually in the form of a dance. We've usually been able to DJ it with a cadet, for some reason some cadet in the wing always has had access to the equipment. Often times cadet staff have also brought in and distributed things like glowsticks. Makes for a pretty show that looks like a rave, but with the added benefit of a true drug free environment. Might also help that often earlier in the week, we've had a DDR talk from someone in law enforcement on the physical effects of common rave drugs >:D

I fully approve of doing something like this. It is a great way to unwind, to further make friends beyond what the week itself has provided, and have some more fun at the end of the week.

It's pretty well supervised. The senior members are chaperons, enforcing rules like the "six inches," forming an observed barrier that cadets can't cross to find "secluded corners," often patrolling other areas that cadets can try to "hide" in, like the barracks.

That actually led to a fun experience for me one of the first years I was a senior member. In addition to the inside activity, we had a "dump tank." I think that's what they are called, the things where you sit on a platform above a tank of water, and people are throwing balls at a button, and if they hit it, you sink into the water. All of the cadet and senior staff had to sit on their at some point (can you imagine the joy a core cadet had in sinking the Cadet Commander or Group First Sergeant?  ;D), and most if not all of the senior members sat up there too. After my turn going back to the barracks to change, I was somewhat severely "challenged" by one of the senior members patrolling the barracks and making sure no cadets were they unsupervised. I didn't exactly look old enough to be a senior member (I guess 22 doesn't cut it), and it took fishing through my stuff to find where I'd put my wallet to keep dry.
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

Eclipse

Most encampments don't have them because they are inappropriate to a paramilitary training environment which is why you are there.
Further, the female population of most CAP activities runs below the 20% mark, so even if this was a good idea, what's the point?

I love the notion that cadets and staff have to "unwind" after a whole week of doing something most look forward to and throughly enjoy.  Every single participant is there because they want to be, so much so that they paid for the experience.
For every uncomfortable or "stressful" thing they had to endure (like a CAP-USAF chain of command briefing), they did five cool things
that they would pay to do again.

Conversations like this make Curry and Spaatz spin in their monuments.

"That Others May Zoom"

CCAlex

OK my turn. our encampment dance was a bit unusual, but I'll start at the beginning of the dance day. so we get to wake up a usual with no pt though. :o when we go to breakfast, our flight sergeant (a very attractive Austrian girl) gets her first date request. she laughs a bit and says.........."absolutely not!" on the bus, another cadet asks the proper way to ask a girl out. so our flight commander C/Capt so and so, said "alright listen up you bus of hooligans! I'll show you the proper way to ask a girl out. so one of you KIDS want to ask sergeant dixon out. you go up to her and ask "seargeant dixon, permission to take you out to the dance" and of course she will reply if your lucky, no, huh-uh, or absolutely NOT. so keep your hands eyes off my flight sergeant, close your mouths, stop drooling and stare ouside!" of course everyone was just looking at her reflection in the window.

later that night after group inspection, we go to the dance and got my first date! (NO snide comments because yes I asked HER out and not the other way around.) she was a nice brunette and sadly when we slow danced, after a minute she just walked away to another guy, who was slightly taller than me. that's my story.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2010, 03:34:38 PM
I love the notion that cadets and staff have to "unwind" after a whole week of doing something most look forward to and throughly enjoy.
Conversations like this make Curry and Spaatz spin in their monuments.

Really Eclipse? A conversation about the possibility of teenagers going to a (gasp) DANCE (even at a CAP activity) is making Curry and Spaatz spin in their monuments? A little bit over the top, don't you think?

OK, so I know that we won't see a dance on the ILWG Spring Encampment agenda, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with giving cadets some time off at the end of a week. We're talking in large part about 12, 13, and 14 year olds here. For a lot of them, this is there first time away from home, and they're going away to a very rigid and rushed environment where it's pretty easy to get burned out quick if you're not used to it.

Essentially, your people put in a good week of work and training (even if they did get enjoyment out of some of it), and there's nothing wrong with rewarding them with a pizza party, dance, or some other form of R&R for it.

I do agree with the bit about the low number of females though, and you're right on that point. However, a dance is just as much about 5 male buddies getting together and having fun as it is to go on a date.

Daniel and I were simply having a friendly conversation and brainstorming. That's new things and good changes happen. It's also how we ended up with "US Civil Air Patrol" nametapes and 87 logos, so it can go both ways.

DakRadz

Click the pic for a labeled picture.

Okay, so here's how our social went about. Conducted in a fully lit room, similar to a high school gym. No dark spots, SMs were everywhere, so no off-limits. You could eat, socialize, or dance. No one danced with each other- it was more Cha-Cha, Cupid Shuffle, rap, country and rock and roll. All fast stuff to have fun to. All appropriate. CAP/Staff member-owned items were used, no paying a DJ.

The picture is fairly well to scale- small dance area, except for when the Train went around the whole room ;D
Mostly socializing and enjoying *lemonade! and sweet tea* and the BBQ Pork or Chicken plates.

So, it wasn't a problem for anyone.

This was NOT a have-a-date dance. There was no slow-dancing, or dancing together. It was fun, plain and simple.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2010, 05:34:50 PM
Really Eclipse? A conversation about the possibility of teenagers going to a (gasp) DANCE (even at a CAP activity) is making Curry and Spaatz spin in their monuments? A little bit over the top, don't you think?

No - and CCALEX's description of the events should be all we need to say "no more".

As a concept we are supposed to be discouraging fraternization in the ranks and dating in general within CAP.  Once again for you scoring at home, CAP IS NOT A DATING SERVICE.  The fact that "kids will be kids" does not change that, and putting together an activity at an encampment which encourages dating is just asking for trouble.

It's inappropriate and unnecessary.  If units want to host dining out's or banquets, great.  We don't need a "dance" during an encampment.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

*Still thinks his staff did a great job for the event*

CCAlex's does seem to have been over the top. The whole "dancing with each other" is what puts it there, really.

I think mine was A-OK.

Even JROTC discourages dating other cadets- obviously more leeway and such due to the nature of the program, but still. Mostly where dancing with other cadets takes place is at Military Ball, and that's more friends- all but maybe 3 cadets out of 50-60+ bring a non-cadet date.

CCAlex's sounds too dating-encouraging

PHall

The "dance" at the CAWG/NVWG Encampment was nothing more then a pizza party with some music and dancing thrown in.
With everything under constant observation...
The cadets have basically completed encampment at this point and all they have to do in the morning is pack their stuff and go march around the square.
We use it as a mechanism to allow the basics to "decompress" following a rather stressful week before we give them back to Mommy and Daddy.

DakRadz

Aha. The description was inaccurate then.

Eclipse:
I agree with the decompressing. Yes,  I volunteered to go, wanted to go badly, paid to go, and having done NJROTC's equivalent, even knew, in a general sort of way, the type of environment I was going to be in; that doesn't mean it isn't stress-inducing.

Having your roommate not tell encampment about several health issues and place himself in danger, that's stress-inducing. Same roommate falling out of top bunk, that's stress-inducing (luckily he wasn't severely injured). Having your Flt/CC get hurt mid-week and replaced by a support staff "floater" (replacement did do outstanding, BUT) that's stress-inducing.

There are more non-typical events that went on at this encampment, which stressed out our dozens-of-encampments-prior-to-this SMs more than usual.

So a chance to unwind is welcome.

JayT

I remember there was an article on Cadet Stuff at some point to the effect of 'You wanna dance? Well fall in!'

It's a stress inducing environment, but at the end of the day it is also a paramilitary training environment.

I'm only twenty two, but are out teenagers really at the point where a week away from home is 'stressful' enough to require decompression?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

DakRadz

As I was trying to say in my previous post, no sir, not at all. The planned stress of encampment with activities, marching, etc. etc., that's something which should be taken and dealt with personally- you should know what's coming there.

When a cadet can't breath, hasn't told anyone he needs an inhaler frequently (parents were wrong here as well), and no one can find his PT shorts where he left that inhaler- things like this cause stress many teenagers aren't used to. This kind of stress upsets our SMs as well, so I'm sure that's not supposed to be a part of the "average" encampment.

For that, I enjoy the chance to relax, for a few hours. I think our social was 2 hours long. Before that, we were conducting a normal daily encampment schedule- activities, classroom, meals. After the social was over, we were sent back to our rooms where we were inspected for Honor Cadet/Honor Flight purposes (:D). Not exactly Easy Street anytime other than at the social.

If someone feels Flt/Sgt Ermey was too hard on him because his bed wasn't made, drink a nice tall glass of Suck It UpTM. That doesn't require or warrant decompression.

Daniel

On the whole 'encampment isnt stress inducing' thing, Yes, Yes,  it is. The only other camp I and many other cadets had been too was church camp which is anything but stress inducing. So that was all I had to go on. I didnt have a second to think at encampment and I didnt have a moment to do anything as the only personal time we had was used as inspection prep.

on the topic of the dance and asking your flight sargeant to dance. Yes, cap isnt a dating service and even at that staff are staff and basics are basics. staff should dance with staff and basics should dance with basics.

oh and Id be the kind of guy to stay in the office and avoid said dance
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Eclipse

Quote from: DakRadz on July 28, 2010, 08:31:25 PM
When a cadet can't breath, hasn't told anyone he needs an inhaler frequently (parents were wrong here as well), and no one can find his PT shorts where he left that inhaler- things like this cause stress many teenagers aren't used to. This kind of stress upsets our SMs as well, so I'm sure that's not supposed to be a part of the "average" encampment.

Unless its you, its not your problem, and if adults can't deal with something like the above without experiencing "stress", they need to find someplace else to spend their volunteer time.  We're an ES organization for gosh sake.

Most parents experience 5x's the above trying to get their kids out the door in the AM.

One phone call and borrowed shorts fixes the above.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2010, 08:52:55 PM
One phone call and borrowed shorts fixes the above.

The way I read it, it was the inhaler in the PT shorts that was important...

DakRadz

It's my problem when he has an attack in the barracks and I'm nearest to him. We were all in our rooms cleaning up, getting dressed- flight staff had to go to their rooms as well.

It's still somewhat stressful if a cadet is in front of you having an asthma attack and you have no inhaler for him. Even as an adult, I dare say.

The PT shorts were found- the problem was that his only inhaler was in them, so those particular shorts were a teensy bit necessary. (Spaceman got that)

One incident out of a few dozen within my flight that were not planned. Not all health concerns, but still stressful when you're not expecting it.

The staff were professional and reacted quickly with making sure cadets were properly taken care of (a few hospital incidents); I merely meant that I know that was a bit of added stress from talking to the ones I know. As a basic, it's worse. No RST for us. (obviously; I'm talking when something comes up, we haven't been given instructions on how to react).

boomshtick

Quote from: Daniel L on July 28, 2010, 08:41:44 AMat my basic encampment they didn't believe in relaxation.

here here!
[smg id=237]  shiny nazi!!!  >:D

:}+< <this is ed. Say hi to ed.

ol'fido

The dances aka the "connubial rights" had pretty well died out at summer encampment by the late 90's. However, I fondly remeber the ones from my cadet days at Volk Field. We used to have them in the big hangar next to the old theater(which is no longer there) where we had most of our briefings. The one in '79 was at the Chanute officer's club. By the late 90's when I started going back to encampment, the dance evolved into a swimming party at a nearby state park.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

CCAlex

people people, please! I was only saying an accurate description of our encampment, sheesh! don't kill me for it!

SarDragon

Hey, Alex! Does the shift key on whatever you're using to post happen to be broken? If so, you might want to get it fixed.

[we now return you to the dance]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CCAlex

Sorry I just realized that before you posted. :-[

Daniel

i just had a thought generally at dances in my area someone leaves with a black eye, how does that work in CAP?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Eclipse

Quote from: Daniel L on July 29, 2010, 01:27:22 AM
i just had a thought generally at dances in my area someone leaves with a black eye, how does that work in CAP?

The offenders are referred to as "Former Members"...

"That Others May Zoom"

Daniel

Quote from: Eclipse on July 29, 2010, 01:29:28 AM

its not really a dance if no one goes into a testosterone-fueled rage now is it?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

DC

Quote from: Daniel L on July 29, 2010, 01:30:49 AM

its not really a dance if no one goes into a testosterone-fueled rage now is it?
I'd say it's not a dance if someone gets into a testosterone-fueled rage...

SJFedor

Quote from: Daniel L on July 29, 2010, 01:30:49 AM

Seriously? I'm only 24 and I don't remember ever seeing fights at any but 1 school dance when I was growing up.

Clubs and the like? Different story.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

raivo

Heh. My first thought on reading the thread title was "Encampment dance? Is that like a rain dance?"

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

exFlight Officer

Quote from: DakRadz on July 28, 2010, 05:41:55 PM

Click the pic for a labeled picture.

Okay, so here's how our social went about. Conducted in a fully lit room, similar to a high school gym. No dark spots, SMs were everywhere, so no off-limits. You could eat, socialize, or dance. No one danced with each other- it was more Cha-Cha, Cupid Shuffle, rap, country and rock and roll. All fast stuff to have fun to. All appropriate. CAP/Staff member-owned items were used, no paying a DJ.

The picture is fairly well to scale- small dance area, except for when the Train went around the whole room ;D
Mostly socializing and enjoying *lemonade! and sweet tea* and the BBQ Pork or Chicken plates.

So, it wasn't a problem for anyone.

This was NOT a have-a-date dance. There was no slow-dancing, or dancing together. It was fun, plain and simple.

That is how I remember it as well DakRadz...until the train came around :D It was fun and I had a great time..even as a SM  :D

As I was trying to say in my previous post, no sir, not at all. The planned stress of encampment with activities, marching, etc. etc., that's something which should be taken and dealt with personally- you should know what's coming there.

For that, I enjoy the chance to relax, for a few hours. I think our social was 2 hours long. Before that, we were conducting a normal daily encampment schedule- activities, classroom, meals. After the social was over, we were sent back to our rooms where we were inspected for Honor Cadet/Honor Flight purposes ( :D ). Not exactly Easy Street anytime other than at the social.

If someone feels Flt/Sgt Ermey was too hard on him because his bed wasn't made, drink a nice tall glass of Suck It UpTM. That doesn't require or warrant decompression.

I remember that cadet with the asthma problem. I was the Safety Officer Assistant at this years encampment. I think the social was a little less than two hours but it was much needed for the cadets!

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: raivo on July 30, 2010, 07:53:52 AM
Heh. My first thought on reading the thread title was "Encampment dance? Is that like a rain dance?"

^^^

Also agree with SJFedor on the Clubs, but that's a WHOLE other world from CAP.

As for "relaxing" after encampment, I personally loved the Full/Half Moon right off base. :)

Flying Pig

Sheeeeeeesh....

CAWG 1987-1993. Cadet Programs Conferences, Encampments at Vandenberg, all ended with formal dances.  I had a blast! 

bosshawk

Did you shave your head then?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

OldGuard

Same here Lord Steht... Good times   :)
Eaker#000 Earhart #8175 Mitchell#21034

Flying Pig

I had a mean looking flat top then!