Ouch! Thats got to hurt! Stearman flips at DCA

Started by a2capt, June 08, 2010, 08:03:57 PM

a2capt

Ouch.

One viewpoint:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2010/06/08/VI2010060802370.html

Another:

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/06/08/342998/video-stearman-biplane-flips-shuts-down-dca.html

My first thought when someone sent me that first link was "instant nose over" "brakes on"

Then I read some news where it said "ground loop and then flipped" and thought, wow, I didn't see any parallax scrolling going on, so I don't know what ground loop they're talking about. Then I found the other video.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Oww, what a bummer.  Glad everybody was able to get out. Hope the can fix her.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

They may not fix "her" in all cases, but as long as the data plate isn't bent .. :)
They tear these things apart to nuts, bolts and bolts of fabric and start over.

davidsinn

Guy should never be allowed to fly again. Not because he crashed. But because he bent such a beautiful airplane. :'(
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

sparks

Seems I saw some smoke from the tires during touch down. Either it's the normal effect of wheel spin up or someone had their feet on the brake pedals. Only the pilot & passenger knows.

SarDragon

There's almost always a little smoke when the tire touches the runway. Gotta spin it up from 0 mph to whatever the landing speed is.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NC Hokie

Quote from: SarDragon on June 09, 2010, 12:07:58 AM
There's almost always a little smoke when the tire touches the runway. Gotta spin it up from 0 mph to whatever the landing speed is.
That looked to be more than a little smoke, as it kept getting thicker right up until the time the wheel came off the tarmac.  It also appears to have only been coming from the left wheel.

My (uneducated) guess is that the pilot was kicking rudder to counter the wind and inadvertently engaged the brake after getting up on the left pedal a bit more than he meant to.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

PHall

Not the first Steerman to flip on landing, and it sure isn't the last.