Main Menu

Cloth ASNP Ideas

Started by Eagle400, May 09, 2010, 01:59:35 AM

Eagle400

*Takes deep breath*

Thanks all for helping me stay on track; I digress too much... Gotta work on that...

Anywho...

Okay.  Well, CAP-USAF would probably never approve of CAP squadrons having their own colors on ASNPs. 

Why? 

Because it looks to much like the ones they wear. 

Methinks it is safe to hypothesize that --if this idea ever comes to fruition-- everyone will wear the same basic design. 
(Which, I believe, should be in the same colors as CAP aircraft).   

flyboy53

Thirds to the new design, too!

Now lets work to get rid of the plastic rank!!

SilverEagle2

I like it...

As for PER...Bright on Sage...Looks exactly like the PER without the shine.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Mustang on May 16, 2010, 08:34:36 AM
I'd prefer to see something like this:

[smg id=165]

Doesn't look different from mine, except for a silver border and no plane.

If we go with cloth, what's so wrong with silver-gray on ultramarine blue? Our wings are distinctive enough not to be confused.

And as for shoulder grade: Kill the plastic encased. It's more trouble than it's worth. We can use full-color on blue, and it's different enough from Big Blue's subdued cloth.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eagle400

+1 on every point made!

Especially on the plastic encased rank insignia!

I have absolutely no clue why the AF still requires plastic encased rank on the flight suit.  Really dumb, if you ask me.  And counter-intuitive also. 

The ultramarine cloth rank insignia --as is worn on the BDU-- is 1,000,000 times more distinctive than the little plastic rank thingys.  Especially for an olive drab flight suit. 

Ultramarine cloth insignia on the flight suit, would be keeping in both spirit and letter of CAP-USAF's regulations, concerning proper dress and appearance of CAP personnel.

It's these kind of decisions that make me want to knock on the 'upstairs room door' and say, "Hello... is anybody home?"

And to make sure we stay on topic... The ultramarine rank insignias would compliment CAP-specific ASNP's, especially if they have the same background color...   

SarDragon

Quote from: CAPM 39-1Green Flight Suit/Jacket
2. Leather Name Patch: Will include name, grade, and aeronautical rating. Patch will be centered on left breast above pocket. Cloth name patch is not authorized. If no aeronautical rating, a title such as "Mission Scanner" may be used.

Blue Flight Suit/Jacket
2. Leather Name Patch: Will include name, grade, and aeronautical rating. Patch will be centered on left breast above pocket. Cloth name patch is not authorized.

[emphasis mine]

Given the above information, why are we even having this discussion?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mustang

Because the concept was approved by the National Board a few years ago.  Rumor has it a certain somebody has just been sitting on the implementation because they don't care for the idea personally.  That certain somebody can't stonewall forever.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Hawk200

Quote from: Mustang on May 16, 2010, 08:34:36 AM
I'd prefer to see something like this:

[smg id=165]
I like that design. It's simple; the aircraft is representative of what our organization possesses and operates. It doesn't duplicate anything else represented on the uniform. The colors are appropriate. Add rank before the name on a single line for NCOs, and it's good.

Quote from: SarDragon on May 19, 2010, 05:09:41 AM
Quote from: CAPM 39-1Green Flight Suit/Jacket
2. Leather Name Patch: Will include name, grade, and aeronautical rating. Patch will be centered on left breast above pocket. Cloth name patch is not authorized. If no aeronautical rating, a title such as “Mission Scanner” may be used.

Blue Flight Suit/Jacket
2. Leather Name Patch: Will include name, grade, and aeronautical rating. Patch will be centered on left breast above pocket. Cloth name patch is not authorized.

[emphasis mine]

Given the above information, why are we even having this discussion?
It's an idea, a proposal, a consideration. Just because it's not legal now, doesn't mean it can't be suggested, proposed, or discussed.

Quote from: Mustang on May 19, 2010, 04:59:03 PM
Because the concept was approved by the National Board a few years ago.  Rumor has it a certain somebody has just been sitting on the implementation because they don't care for the idea personally.  That certain somebody can't stonewall forever.
Heard the rumor as well. Anything held up has a certain "Stopping Point".

blackrain

Quote from: Mustang on May 19, 2010, 04:59:03 PM

Been a little while but is there any chance the implementation is closer to reality? How about outing the stopping point so said individual can be "encouraged" to answer to the membership and finally put the issue to rest.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

flyboy53

Probably never going to happen.

Consider that a cloth ASNP with a blue backgroud could justify using cloth rank insignia with the same blue backgroud. It's too logical for the CAP and Vanguard.

Hawk200

Quote from: blackrain on July 04, 2010, 03:35:40 PMBeen a little while but is there any chance the implementation is closer to reality? How about outing the stopping point so said individual can be "encouraged" to answer to the membership and finally put the issue to rest.
I gave you a clue with "Stopping Point." Translate the first letters with initials.

Quote from: flyboy1 on July 04, 2010, 05:28:05 PMConsider that a cloth ASNP with a blue backgroud could justify using cloth rank insignia with the same blue backgroud. It's too logical for the CAP and Vanguard.
I've seen blue background rank on sage green suits before, it doesn't look right for some reason. Doesn't matter if it's ultramarine or navy, it just doesn't seem to work.

"Vivid" color on sage would work, would be complementary to the suit color, and would be distinctive without being shockingly different. And it could be done very easily.

Vanguard could make plenty off cloth nameplates, but for them there would be risk of people acquiring from other sources. Sometimes, I think that this is why the "CAP" is maintained on the flightsuit nameplate. As long as it says "CAP" anywhere on it, the only approved source is Vanguard.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 04, 2010, 06:35:48 PM
"Vivid" color on sage would work, would be complementary to the suit color, and would be distinctive without being shockingly different. And it could be done very easily.

Vivid color on sage is worn today by the Navy, and CAP with the distinctive flight and jump suits.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on July 04, 2010, 06:47:12 PMVivid color on sage is worn today by ... CAP with the distinctive flight and jump suits.
Umm...Huh? Last time I saw a distinctive flight or jump suit, they were blue, not green.

Mustang

Quote from: blackrain on July 04, 2010, 03:35:40 PMBeen a little while but is there any chance the implementation is closer to reality? How about outing the stopping point so said individual can be "encouraged" to answer to the membership and finally put the issue to rest.
I gave you a clue with "Stopping Point." Translate the first letters with initials.
Correct on all counts.  You have the same intel I do.

Quote from: flyboy1 on July 04, 2010, 05:28:05 PMConsider that a cloth ASNP with a blue backgroud could justify using cloth rank insignia with the same blue backgroud. It's too logical for the CAP and Vanguard.
I've seen blue background rank on sage green suits before, it doesn't look right for some reason. Doesn't matter if it's ultramarine or navy, it just doesn't seem to work.
It worked just fine for Air Training Command throughout the '70s and '80s.

"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Hawk200

Quote from: Mustang on July 30, 2010, 05:39:23 AMIt worked just fine for Air Training Command throughout the '70s and '80s.
I've seen the pictures, and that's where I first got the idea that it looked wrong. Ultramarine blue is an eyesore. It would work perfectly for a Hi Viz vest (and I've seen them in the color), but I don't think it makes good insignia.