Maintaining membership in another wing while living in another wing?

Started by mynetdude, April 23, 2010, 02:43:05 AM

Al Sayre

They don't tax themselves, they tax the tourists...  It also allows their security force to have police powers.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Cecil DP

The Florida Wing Deputy Chief of Staff lives in Ohio and according to his bio is an elected official there.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

EMT-83

My squadron CC and several squadron members live out of state. Yes, there are nearby units on the other side of the border.

vento

Interesting thread. If I am not mistaken, membership dues are not the same from one wing to another. Pay higher price to play in a lower cost state or pay less money and play in a higher priced wing? Just saying...

mynetdude

Quote from: BillB on April 23, 2010, 12:06:03 PM
Disney World in Florida is a legal City. It even has taxing authority, but why would they want to tax themselves?

Tax themselves? You mean its guests ;)?

mynetdude

In the age of computers/IT and being able to send paperwork electronically as reluctant some may be I don't see why being a member in one state while living in another is an issue just have to remember that if you want to participate in any activities in your state of residence you need to get permission from the wing you are IN not from the wing you are physically located.

I am sure commanders want active bodies and that's quite understandable. However someone transferring to another wing for one reason or another should not have to be obligated to be 100% active unless their duty position requires it or they commit to doing so.

I haven't read regulations specifically however during our last SUI we got dinged for not having enough members in their specialty tracks given the # of people vs positions still not filled etc etc etc (but we had new members and they were not ready for a specialty track just yet at the time of the SUI) but my point is, you're supposed to take on a duty position at a squadron you are a member of IIRC which means you are supposed to DO your job.

However there ARE ways to do your job without being present for jobs that don't require active member meeting attendance or whatnot.  If your job is very specific based on squadron needs, that just might work otherwise if you have a broader job requirement that the squadron needs then you would need to plan on being there more often/regularly.

RiverAux

There is no requirement for any senior member to take a "job".  Someone could still quietly help away without holding a staff position. 

Short Field

Quote from: RiverAux on April 23, 2010, 10:17:57 PM
There is no requirement for any senior member to take a "job".  Someone could still quietly help away without holding a staff position.
So we want to recommend that to all our new members?  I can see that for a old hand with years in the organization in a lot of different jobs but not for a newbie.

Quote from: mynetdude on April 23, 2010, 09:59:23 PM
just have to remember that if you want to participate in any activities in your state of residence you need to get permission from the wing you are IN not from the wing you are physically located.
The Wing you are participating in has to approve you if you are a mission pilot. 

Quote from: mynetdude on April 23, 2010, 09:59:23 PMduring our last SUI we got dinged for not having enough members in their specialty tracks given the # of people vs positions still not filled etc etc etc (but we had new members and they were not ready for a specialty track just yet at the time of the SUI)
They must have been really really new members.  I totally agree that the first thing a new member needs to do is complete Level One.  They shouldn't have a lot of distractions until that is accomplished.   I try to make sure we seriously discuss which job the new member wants and which jobs the squadron needs filled in the squadron during the Summary Conversation and then try to get them locked into a job within the next couple of meetings.  Once they get a job, they get enrolled in the supporting Specialty Track.  This should all happen within a couple of weeks of completing Level One.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RiverAux

Quote from: Short Field on April 23, 2010, 11:47:54 PM
So we want to recommend that to all our new members?  I can see that for a old hand with years in the organization in a lot of different jobs but not for a newbie.
We're not talking about newbies in particular, but the small number of people who live in one Wing but belong to another, most likely not new members.

mynetdude

Quote from: Short Field on April 23, 2010, 11:47:54 PM

Quote from: mynetdude on April 23, 2010, 09:59:23 PM
just have to remember that if you want to participate in any activities in your state of residence you need to get permission from the wing you are IN not from the wing you are physically located.
The Wing you are participating in has to approve you if you are a mission pilot. 

Quote from: mynetdude on April 23, 2010, 09:59:23 PMduring our last SUI we got dinged for not having enough members in their specialty tracks given the # of people vs positions still not filled etc etc etc (but we had new members and they were not ready for a specialty track just yet at the time of the SUI)
They must have been really really new members.  I totally agree that the first thing a new member needs to do is complete Level One.  They shouldn't have a lot of distractions until that is accomplished.   I try to make sure we seriously discuss which job the new member wants and which jobs the squadron needs filled in the squadron during the Summary Conversation and then try to get them locked into a job within the next couple of meetings.  Once they get a job, they get enrolled in the supporting Specialty Track.  This should all happen within a couple of weeks of completing Level One.

The wing you are participating has to approve you whether or not you are an MP or not.  If you are attending an activity outside your wing you need to submit your CAPF31/17 through your CoC, some wings do not necessarily enforce the requirement you need a wing CC approval but it is a courtesy to your wing CC.

Yes they were new members, they had just joined our squadron (several) within 90 days of our SUI some people go slower/faster than the others and really shouldn't be taking on a job until they've learned the fundamentals (that's how I did it when I first came to CAP and even after, I didn't take any jobs/specialty tracks until I knew for sure what I wanted to do for sure.

All good information here, thanks :)

Short Field

Quote from: mynetdude on April 24, 2010, 03:07:42 AM
Yes they were new members, they had just joined our squadron (several) within 90 days of our SUI
Wow, are you sure we didn't have the same Wing inspectors on the SUIs?  Our inspectors could not even be bothered to get my duty position correct and then wrote the unit up because I had a rating of "none" in my duty position Specialty Track.  I was the assistant, not the primary, officer and I had a Senior Rating. 

This is probably worth a separate topic that could run forever.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

mynetdude

Quote from: Short Field on April 24, 2010, 03:16:06 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on April 24, 2010, 03:07:42 AM
Yes they were new members, they had just joined our squadron (several) within 90 days of our SUI
Wow, are you sure we didn't have the same Wing inspectors on the SUIs?  Our inspectors could not even be bothered to get my duty position correct and then wrote the unit up because I had a rating of "none" in my duty position Specialty Track.  I was the assistant, not the primary, officer and I had a Senior Rating. 

This is probably worth a separate topic that could run forever.

can't say the specifics, true it would be a different topic but the regs are regs and the regs do not take into consideration for NEW members or members who have JUST completed Level 1 right before the SUI I think the inspectors need to use a little COMMON SENSE.

no, sounds like you had a different inspector :D

flyboy53

I'm glad that all the upper level types are in such great assignments while living elsewhere. I see it all the time these days, but I can't help thinking that it would cause a serious problem in a crisis. I know a Florida Wing squadron commander that comes north during the summer and flies various missions...with the appropriate permissions, of course.

I would hope that it isn't a political way to get a ticket punched for some other assignment.

For junior officers and cadets, however, being a member of one wing and participating elsewhere could present some major problems. I spent 14 years as a first lieutenant because I remained a member of the Ohio Wing amid active duty assignments throughout the nation and overseas. I have a friend that is a career captain for that same reason.

I did, however, keep my observer rating current in the process and grew to know some really excellent people.

jeders

We used to have a member of our squadron here in TX that was actually still a part of Virginia Wing and wore his Virginia Wing and squadron patches. Of course when he moved to South Dakota, the commander there said transfer or you don't play.

But of course it will be much easier for your new squadron to take care of you if you just transfer, takes 2 minutes of the commanders time in eServices.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

BlueLakes1

Quote from: davidsinn on April 23, 2010, 04:38:42 PM
INWG's CV and EST are both from Kentucky.

FWIW, we both live in Sellersburg, IN now, right across the street from JVY.  ;)
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

davidsinn

Quote from: Redfire2 on May 05, 2010, 07:14:18 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on April 23, 2010, 04:38:42 PM
INWG's CV and EST are both from Kentucky.

FWIW, we both live in Sellersburg, IN now, right across the street from JVY.  ;)

Wasn't aware you had moved major. Now you're on the right side of the Ohio river.  ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

nesagsar

Quote from: Al Sayre on April 23, 2010, 01:23:55 PM
They don't tax themselves, they tax the tourists...  It also allows their security force to have police powers.

If they ever make a disney world SWAT team I hope they adopt the OMOH Mickey Mouse gas masks.

Al Sayre

I've been told that they actually do have a SWAT team.  Don't know for certain, It's been a few years since I lived in that area, and most of my Disney contacts have moved on.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787