Maintaining membership in another wing while living in another wing?

Started by mynetdude, April 23, 2010, 02:43:05 AM

mynetdude

I understand there are exception to the rule. I am just fumbling around in regs and ideas just for the learning of it nothing more.

I understand that sometimes some wings will coordinate with other wings to take care of units that are much closer to the neighboring state because there are no other units several hours away (an isolated unit) but would be much closer to units in the neighboring state.

My question is, is it possible to be a member of a unit in another wing other than your own wing? I know it is possible in the above scenario, but I can't find it in R39-2 that states you must maintain membership in which the state you live in; so unless I am looking at the wrong regulation or missed a ICL whatnot.

lordmonar

How about a whole squadron that resides outside the borders of a wing!

NVWG has a squadron that is in Califonia.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: mynetdude on April 23, 2010, 02:43:05 AM
My question is, is it possible to be a member of a unit in another wing other than your own wing?

Yes - but in that case "your wing" is the one in which you are a member, not where you live.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Huh?  Lots of people in this area are members of wings outside their states of residence.  The DEWG CC lives in MD for one...The Montana Wing CC lives in Maryland.  The PAWG DOK lives in Maryland.  Lots of people in my area are members of DEWG, having left PAWG.

People leave PAWG for other wings all the time.  Reference Col K's joke about the transfer form from NJWG or PAWG to DEWG at that NB meeting some time ago...

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: JC004 on April 23, 2010, 03:43:32 AM
Huh?  Lots of people in this area are members of wings outside their states of residence.  The DEWG CC lives in MD for one...The Montana Wing CC lives in Maryland.  The PAWG DOK lives in Maryland.  Lots of people in my area are members of DEWG, having left PAWG.

Yeah...um...those little suburbs you Northeaster's call "states" don't really count.  :-)

"That Others May Zoom"

ZigZag911

Quote from: Eclipse on April 23, 2010, 03:57:29 AM

Yeah...um...those little suburbs you Northeaster's call "states" don't really count.  :-)

You mean the 13 ORIGINAL States of the Union? Are those the 'burbs' you're referring to?!? :D

PHall

Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 23, 2010, 04:08:19 AM

You mean the 13 ORIGINAL States of the Union? Are those the 'burbs' you're referring to?!? :D

We perfer to think of them as a first draft. You know, to be improved with a little editing! >:D

mynetdude

So there is no regulation preventing me from being a member of say NVWG and living in say TX or FL? Etc?

IIRC I read somewhere in the regs that if you are NOT active or have moved away from your unit and no longer ATTEND that unit the unit is supposed to encourage you to find another unit closer to you and if you still do not transfer then your file goes into suspense and then your membership could be terminated??? It would not prevent you from renewing as it would not be for cause.

mynetdude

Seems I stirred up some hiccups about "burbs" and original states :D

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on April 23, 2010, 04:13:05 AM
We perfer to think of them as a first draft. You know, to be improved with a little editing!

Which would make Hawaii the "Final Version" - I could live with that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: mynetdude on April 23, 2010, 04:15:12 AM
So there is no regulation preventing me from being a member of say NVWG and living in say TX or FL? Etc?
Nope.
IIRC I read somewhere in the regs that if you are NOT active or have moved away from your unit and no longer ATTEND that unit the unit is supposed to encourage you to find another unit closer to you and if you still do not transfer then your file goes into suspense and then your membership could be terminated??? It would not prevent you from renewing as it would not be for cause.
That gets into the conversation about normalizing the ranks and moving people who never show to 000 or patron.  No requirement to do either and people have spent literally decades as empty shirts in another state and no one cared. 

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

All of the DCWG units meet outside of DC.

CS has a member who is a CO resident, currently living in Europe, and a member of a CAWG unit.

As long as no one is complaining, everything is OK.

I spent ten years in a "pay-no-play" status in an overseas unit because I never found a unit to affiliate with after I retired from the Navy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Suburbs compared to what?...or of what?  Collectively, NJ, PA, and up are over 55 million people. 

If that area were a country, it'd be 24th in population, after Italy.  Delaware and Maryland are pretty small too.  They add another 6.5 million...Those two little states are about half the population of IL.

mynetdude

Quote from: Eclipse on April 23, 2010, 04:19:41 AM
Nope.
That gets into the conversation about normalizing the ranks and moving people who never show to 000 or patron.  No requirement to do either and people have spent literally decades as empty shirts in another state and no one cared.

if it were required, I suppose it would be tedious.

Ok how about this, since my question was answered...

I'm guessing a squadron CC can prevent you from joining their unit in their wing if you are from another wing and will not be residing in their wing? A member in question has told me that squadron commanders will not let him join from out of state so since there isn't regulation saying that you can or can't I suppose its a valid reason provided you can prove you will be active at least 50% of the time IMHO. Although if I were squadron CC I would not mind, if they want to join and only come once a year what's the harm (or if they don't come at all?)

Eclipse

Quote from: mynetdude on April 23, 2010, 04:35:09 AM
I'm guessing a squadron CC can prevent you from joining their unit in their wing if you are from another wing and will not be residing in their wing? A member in question has told me that squadron commanders will not let him join from out of state so since there isn't regulation saying that you can or can't I suppose its a valid reason provided you can prove you will be active at least 50% of the time IMHO. Although if I were squadron CC I would not mind, if they want to join and only come once a year what's the harm (or if they don't come at all?)

Membership at a respective squadron is at the pleasure of the respective squadron CC, no reason as to why they don't want you is required  by regulation, though certainly not living in the same state could be considered a valid reason.

A squadron CC can refuse new membership or transfer of anyone without comment, and can transfer anyone they want to 000 at their
discretion.  (Risking the wrath of higher HQ, of course).

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: JC004 on April 23, 2010, 04:34:03 AM

Suburbs compared to what?...or of what?  Collectively, NJ, PA, and up are over 55 million people. 

Real states - we have mall parking lots out my way bigger than some of the NE "states".  RI?  Seriously?   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

mynetdude

Quote from: Eclipse on April 23, 2010, 04:40:45 AM
Quote from: JC004 on April 23, 2010, 04:34:03 AM

Real states - we have mall parking lots out my way bigger than some of the NE "states".  RI?  Seriously?   ;D

a whole mall parking lot bigger than a state? That's hard to imagine living in a state that small with no air to breathe :P.

I heard somewhere Microsoft wanted to turn their Renton campus in Washington into a city or have its own city boundaries, mayorship, etc but whoever had jurisdiction in the matter wouldn't let them AFAIK.

Geeze some of the military bases or ANG facilities almost look like a city in itself :)

lordmonar

Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 23, 2010, 04:08:19 AM

Said the little toy dog to the great dane!  >:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

BillB

Disney World in Florida is a legal City. It even has taxing authority, but why would they want to tax themselves?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104