Composite Squadron Senior Neglect Syndrome

Started by Pylon, March 08, 2005, 08:22:57 PM

Pylon

I was talking with some other CAP members and realized that many Composite squadrons are really treated like Senior-heavy cadet squadrons.  By this I mean that it seems that in both Cadet and Composite Squadrons the needs of the Senior Members may tend to be overlooked in favor of running the cadet program.

Granted, everyone may participate in ES and Ops, and Seniors may engage in O-Flights and other activities for which they are needed, but how much focus is put on Professional Development and Specialty Track progression?

Also granted, with the proper knowledge of the regs and manuals, a motivated Senior Member can essentially guide themselves through specialty track ratings and professional development, advancing their own progression and grade.  However, not every SM knows this information readily or has the time necessary to seek it out and get it done personnally.

What have been your experiences while observing Senior Members in Cadet or Composite squadrons?  For Composites, have they had a Professional Development officer and Deputy Commander for Seniors in place?   What level of self-study and self-advancement should be expected of Senior Members anyways?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

As a former member of a senior sqdn and a current member of a composite sqdn, there is an incredible lack of assistance availbale to seniors to advance in their specialty tracks. If one can understand militareze, the regs and manuals are usable, not one cannot, they make great table levelers and booster seats. There are a few specialty tracks that have some kind of formal education available (Safety Officer, PAO) through AFIADL, but most are entirely based on self study. Especially for the admin type functions (Admin, Pers, Fin, etc.) it is very difficult to learn the ins and outs without some mentorship.

For example: trying to establish a file plan in accordance with regs is difficult. Finally, I just ditched the official file plan and came up with one that worked.

Ideally, what needs to happen is a one - two day training weekend for each specailty track taught by those at the master level for that track, augmented by a self study course that is kept relatively current. Once the Technician level is attained, the members will have a good base to progress from to the Senior and Master levels. Developing AFIADL or CAP correspondance courses for each level would also be a great help in training members, and help increase the potential for a uniform program nationwide.

PDO's need to get alot more training than is available to them. There are some good classes available on how to manage training programs from the Emergency Management Institute, but they are restricted to those who manage large training programs like major metro fire or law enforcement agencies or state wide training programs. I think it would be a good idea for National to see if they can adapt something like this to the group or unit level.

Major_Chuck

One thing that I have always felt was lacking in CAP as a whole was that we 'appoint' people to positions that 1) They either have no apptitude for or interest in and 2)  Once we get people into a position we don't develop them professionally.

I have never seen a group or wing meeting of Administrative Officers to discuss the Admin World;  or a meeting of Personnel Officers to discuss personnel issues.  How many times have Supply Officers gotten together to discuss their unit needs?

It is amazing what a little communication between people experiencing the same problems will do.

-CC

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

SarDragon

We have sessions for the major staff positions at our wing conference every year. That helps a lot, if you are able to attend. Is it enough? Probably not, but it's a start. I would like to see some more training available for things like admin, pers, and the other "paper-pusher" jobs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

pixelwonk

Not that this is the be-all end-all solution, but NHQ's site features "Best Practices" from many wings and squadrons around the nation.

These are little tips and bits of info to be used as resources for those in a particular duty position.
There's not a lot there yet for all areas, but it's a start.

http://level2.cap.gov/visitors//best_practices/

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on March 08, 2005, 08:22:57 PM
I was talking with some other CAP members and realized that many Composite squadrons are really treated like Senior-heavy cadet squadrons.  By this I mean that it seems that in both Cadet and Composite Squadrons the needs of the Senior Members may tend to be overlooked in favor of running the cadet program.

This has been my experience with Composite Squadrons in my area... It seems that most all units be they Cadet, Composite or Senior Squadrons and flights are all relatively small... Many Cadet and Composite Squadrons are in my view undermanned for units of their type with regard to senior staff... I have little experience with Senior Squadrons as there are only two in my wing... But 13 or so Composite Squadrons and three Cadet Squadrons.

I hear that Hanscom Composite has a large number of seniors but not so many cadets... Many Composite Squadrons I have seen have only a few active seniors and also only a few cadets... From my point of view we could really use a Flight structure better from a manning standpoint... Also there is no real point to calling yourselves a Composite Squadron if your unit is not large enough to comfortably support both the Cadet and Senior programs... Isn't that the point?  I'm seeing a lot of "Composite" Squadrons around here which in reality are "Cadet" Squadrons with a CDC instead of just a Commander... And they are still hurting for seniors, and many hurting for Cadets!

In MIKE's perfect little world it breaks down like this:

Flight - Fewer than 15 members but not less than 8.   3 must be seniors.
Senior Squadron - A unit composed entirely of seniors with a total membership greater than 15.
Cadet Squadron - A unit composed almost entirely of cadets with a minimum of seniors (3 or more.) who focus on CP related tasks.
Composite Squadron - Combine a Senior Squadron commanded by a CDS with a Cadet Squadron commanded by a CDC under the unified command of one squadron CC.  This type of unit should be relatively large, with a large number of seniors and cadets.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

Hmmm.
In our case we have a composite squadron that meets seperately.
28 Cadets and 3 seniors every Monday Night
and
25 Seniors on Weds night.

For the most part there is Very Little or No crossover between them.
Its as though they are totally seperate organizations.

As for training, in the 5 months since I joined its been 100% On The Job Training, Read the Manual, Test Online...

But then that is one of the reasons I keep coming here and on other boards to ask questions.
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

md132

In my composite squadron, after formation the seniors go to one room, except for 1 or 2 seniors, and the cadets go to a classroom.  That 1 or 2 seniors with the cadets are just there to supervise while the rest of the seniors have either classes themselves, plan activities and so forth.  For example, myself, on the first Monday of the month I'm with the cadets for about 30 mins to 1 hour for a leadership module then during the AE module I'm with the rest of the seniors.  The only time I'm with the cadets the whole time is during CPFT.  Testing night the TCO or Alt TCO is there.  Another example of the seniors getting training during a meeting is last year I showed a video and gave a class of customs and courtesies.  So we do have just about equal training for both sides

1st Lt Ed Salas, CAP
MD Wing

abysmal

Quote from: md132 on March 13, 2005, 01:31:40 PM
In my composite squadron, after formation the seniors go to one room, except for 1 or 2 seniors, and the cadets go to a classroom.  That 1 or 2 seniors with the cadets are just there to supervise while the rest of the seniors have either classes themselves, plan activities and so forth.  For example, myself, on the first Monday of the month I'm with the cadets for about 30 mins to 1 hour for a leadership module then during the AE module I'm with the rest of the seniors.  The only time I'm with the cadets the whole time is during CPFT.  Testing night the TCO or Alt TCO is there.  Another example of the seniors getting training during a meeting is last year I showed a video and gave a class of customs and courtesies.  So we do have just about equal training for both sides

1st Lt Ed Salas, CAP
MD Wing

Right now I have 28 active cadets and 3-4 applicants on a weekly basis.
For them we have myself and the commander that always show up, and usually a 3rd female senior. Thats it.
There is NO possible way we could conduct anything other than cadet opperations on cadet night. The senior squadron meets on a seperate night totally apart from the cadet squadron, and for the most part there is very little or no cross over between the two of them.
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

caphornbuckle

Thanks goodness!!!  A topic that I needed help on!  Thanks!  And more input would be MORE than welcome!
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

ZigZag911

Quote from: Major_Chuck on March 09, 2005, 12:11:03 PM
One thing that I have always felt was lacking in CAP as a whole was that we 'appoint' people to positions that 1) They either have no apptitude for or interest in and 2)  Once we get people into a position we don't develop them professionally.

I have never seen a group or wing meeting of Administrative Officers to discuss the Admin World;  or a meeting of Personnel Officers to discuss personnel issues.  How many times have Supply Officers gotten together to discuss their unit needs?

It is amazing what a little communication between people experiencing the same problems will do.

-CC

In our group we held 'staff officer seminars' for the better part of five years.....either the appropriate group staff officer, or the wing counterpart (sometimes both) would offer a 2 to 3 hour evening or Saturday program -- with plenty of time allowed for questions, discussion, and idea-sharing.

We rotated through the positions, a different one each month....attendance from our units (at various times we had 6 to 9 squadrons) was very irregular, often depending as much on the attitude of the squadron commander as anything....most who attended were quitr appreciative....and it set up some great networking....to the point, for instance, that the communications officers within the group operated as a team for several years, supporting antenna installations, offering joint ROA courses, and so forth.

davedove

I'm a new member in my squadron and I can see this myself.  I have been assigned to Personnel, and although the Cadet files are reasonably up to date, the senior files haven't been properly maintained at all for over two years.  I plan to get them into shape, but I'm new to this and it will take time.  My group Personnel Officer has been very responsive, so that's a definite help.

I think a big problem is the nature of the senior membership itself.  For the most part, I've found that most senior members join for one of three reasons:  to work with cadets, to participate in ES missions, or to fly planes.  Very few people sign up to do administrative work and are instead assigned to do it.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Psicorp

Quote from: davedove on October 10, 2006, 05:34:02 PM
I'm a new member in my squadron and I can see this myself.  I have been assigned to Personnel, and although the Cadet files are reasonably up to date, the senior files haven't been properly maintained at all for over two years.  I plan to get them into shape, but I'm new to this and it will take time.  My group Personnel Officer has been very responsive, so that's a definite help.

I think a big problem is the nature of the senior membership itself.  For the most part, I've found that most senior members join for one of three reasons:  to work with cadets, to participate in ES missions, or to fly planes.  Very few people sign up to do administrative work and are instead assigned to do it.

Yeah, it usually works out this way:  "Oh, SM Jones, you work in the financial industry, great!! We need a new Finance Officer...congratulations!"    Works the same way with Admin, IT, Safety, etc..    Not everyone wants to do for CAP what they do everyday of the week at work and we're slowly beating that mentality into some people with a clue-by-four.

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

davedove

Quote from: Psicorp on October 10, 2006, 06:12:20 PM
Yeah, it usually works out this way:  "Oh, SM Jones, you work in the financial industry, great!! We need a new Finance Officer...congratulations!"    Works the same way with Admin, IT, Safety, etc..    Not everyone wants to do for CAP what they do everyday of the week for work and we're slowly beating that mentality out of some people with a clue-by-four.

I am that way myself.  I originally was looking to be a Finance Officer because I work as an accountant in my job, and I could get a higher initial grade.  However, they already had a new Finance Officer and wanted me to do something else.  It actually worked out well for me, because I later decided I didn't really WANT to do the same type of work that I do every other day.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003