CAP AF Wear Uniform Weight Standards to Liberal?

Started by RADIOMAN015, March 14, 2010, 04:09:21 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: tsrup on March 16, 2010, 06:03:28 PMWhy would you think that?  the US Navy has more different uniform combinations than we could ever have, but no one fails to identify Naval personnel (okay maybe there are a few confused looks toward Aviation Working Greens). 
We just need to have standard insignia
Use the CSU, but use grey epaulettes.  Try and keep as many insignia items the same across the board.  In the end it makes things more affordable to the member and increases the uniformity even across the the spectrum of uniforms we have.

The Navy does not have one uniform for all the fat sailors and one uniform for the skinny ones.  It has a summer set, a winter set, a Tuesday After the First New Moon of the Season set  :D and when it is summer, winter, or the FNMOTS everyone wears the appropriate uniform. 

Using the CSU with the gray epaulettes would seem like a viable option....but the USAF has already NIXED it.....so I did not want to chase that dog again.

But that would be an acceptional option if the USAF would buy off on it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Ned

I have retired from the Army Guard, but I had multiple soldiers separated for not making weight (after all the mandatory training and counseling.)

And although one hestitates to think of such things, as a former company commander I noticed if a soldier is reluctant to deploy, the Army makes it rather difficult to "eat your way out of deployment", at least in part by vigorously using the counterincentives of additional physical training and counseling for overweight soldiers.

I would assume the same issues apply in theater, which might provide a possible background for the famous picture.

Ned Lee
Retired Army Guy

SarDragon

[deleted cuz someone else already answered the Q on the previous page]

Carry on.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: sarmed1 on March 15, 2010, 11:40:53 AMI too would find it "funny" that anyone would become upset because they expect to find a size 48 in service dress on the rack.... not funny that they are overweight; funny that they think every hole in the wall MC just keeps everysize and item laying around in case the 1 in 100000 people want that one thing....get a grip
That's the way I saw it. The store was an older one that was closing up because it was on one of those installations that had been BRAC'd. They were trying to sell everything they could so there'd be less to move. He'd been sent over from the the newer store to see if the old one might have had his size in stock, but he apparently thought "might" equaled "will". He was pretty rude to the clerk about many of the things he wanted and couldn't find, including a patch for a unit that had stood down while he was still on active duty. That one still escapes me.

I remember our TI in Basic telling us that it was in our best interests to be very polite to any civilian that worked on any base. They have the know how to find your commander and enlighten them as to your behaviour. Maybe it's just that society's standards of conduct seem to be slipping that it's just not considered unacceptable to be rude to people from the get-go. Or maybe we're all being spoiled by an almost immediate satisfaction on things that we don't practice patience anymore.

Don't know, either way, the behaviour seemed wrong, and out of place from someone that had been retired for numerous years.

AirDX

Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

andysum15

Although I agree we should endeavour to meet the weight standards I think it is more important to wear the uniform correctly. I have seen people in the military who are well within the weight limits and look terrible. Then there are those who are a little over the weight limit that look squared away.
Which is more important?
Maj. Andy Sumner

lordmonar

Quote from: andysum15 on March 18, 2010, 04:16:56 PM
Although I agree we should endeavour to meet the weight standards I think it is more important to wear the uniform correctly. I have seen people in the military who are well within the weight limits and look terrible. Then there are those who are a little over the weight limit that look squared away.
Which is more important?

Well....now you have asked an important question....the answer is neither!

What is important is the mission!

Uniforms are supposed to make it easier for us to do the mission.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

tdepp

Quote from: lordmonar on March 18, 2010, 06:11:59 PM
Quote from: andysum15 on March 18, 2010, 04:16:56 PM
Which is more important?

Well....now you have asked an important question....the answer is neither!

What is important is the mission!

Uniforms are supposed to make it easier for us to do the mission.

Overweight CAP member wearing woodland BDUs rather than BBDUs coming upon a airplane crash: "Sir, finally, we found you! Are you ok?!"

Crashed pilot of small plane who has read CAPR 39-1: "No, I think my back is broken and I'm bleeding like a stuck pig.  I probably have an hour to live.  And you can't assist me."

CAP member: "Sir, why not? I'm a highly trained ground team leader with experience in first aid and communications! I can help save your life!  I want to save your life because I am a selfless, dedicated volunteer!"

Crashed pilot: "Sorry, you can't touch me.  You're out of regulation with your weight and you can't wear the camo BDUs.  What if something happens to me while you're out of uniform?  Plus, think of the indignity of being saved by someone who doesn't know which uniform to wear.  I'll have to wait for someone wearing an appropriate uniform to save me.  Just pray that skinny person in woodland camo BDUs gets here quickly,"
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

heliodoc

Todd

I see you are illustrating the knapsitions CAP is in very well by your astute storyline

You a PAO somewhere??

heliodoc

^^^
Err sorry Todd

Say your sig line...you are you are!!

tdepp

Quote from: heliodoc on March 18, 2010, 07:56:42 PM
^^^
Err sorry Todd

Say your sig line...you are you are!!

Helio:

Yes I am, though only an assistant.  But not only did I play a journalist on TV, I also was one BITD before I lowered my karma even further and started practicing law.  ;D
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

ColonelJack

Helio:

Yes I am, though only an assistant.  But not only did I play a journalist on TV, I also was one BITD before I lowered my karma even further and started practicing law.  ;D

Well, at least you're not selling used cars.

Or "serving" in Congress.

Lawyers still get some respect, especially those who used to be journalists!   ;D

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia