Civil Air Portal Refugee's Thread

Started by Major Carrales, November 01, 2006, 01:18:20 AM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PDCT042

I am cold and tired what happened...*cough*...*cough*...I want my  cocoa and the portal.
Flight Officer?
399th Composite Squadron
MS-1
Hofstra AROTC

Chappie

Like others, I was on CAPortal....read the posts here but wasn't a member.  With the departure of the CAPortal, I too have switched colors.  I always enjoyed reading the posts here.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Major Carrales

I was big on the Portal, I think I came here once via a search...I neglected to join basically because I was a "regular" at too many forms as it was.  Some might say I was addicted.  The same sometimes goes for Wiki's.   Nevertheless, the search revealed that most CAPTALEKers were in the PORTAL.

It seems now that the Portal is gone the combined presence of us all here probably make up one of the largest on-line CAP communities (the other pantheons being CADET STUFF and CAPBLOG).

As an asside, I find the tenor of some of the NON-CAP centered communities, like those forums where there is a "CAP room" among other items, to be dismissive, insulting and anti-CAP.

A search once led me to one forum where every thread called CAP "posers and pretenders."  When I tried to explain that CAP is only what it is and the "posers and pretenders" were looked at with distain even with in CAP...I was flamed like a heretic and then banned from the board.  My posts and threads replaced by empty ones or simply deleted. :(

So, when I make a statement about "enemies of CAP" ( see http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=963.0) I know they are there.  That is why we have to police ourselves and be the "officers" we are.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Hartley

Hi Y'all,

Another refugee... and I find the (very mild) grumping by the original inhabitants here a bit amusing, because in my memory, "CAPTalk" was a place where wild flamefests and constant word wars drove everyone away (a dozen or more years ago, when it was an email list).
That it has calmed down and provides what looks like a very professional and civilized cyber-place is very heartening..:-)

73 DE Hartley

p.s. Anybody watching the NEC video feed today?

Pylon

Quote from: Hartley on November 03, 2006, 05:56:10 PM
Hi Y'all,

Another refugee... and I find the (very mild) grumping by the original inhabitants here a bit amusing, because in my memory, "CAPTalk" was a place where wild flamefests and constant word wars drove everyone away (a dozen or more years ago, when it was an email list).
That it has calmed down and provides what looks like a very professional and civilized cyber-place is very heartening..:-)

This is NOT the same CAPTalk as that email list years ago.  Jerry and I, two random CAP members, founded this discussion board from scratch a year and a half ago, when CAPBoard closed down and there was, at the time, no CAP-specific, all-missions-inclusive discussion board out there.  We have no relations to the old CAPTalk, or the old CAPBoard, or any other discussion community out there.  I just thought I would clear that up so there is no confusion.  This board has always been an accepting and professionally-minded community.  We've never had any problems with out-of-hand postings and flaming.

I hope none of you formal Portalpeople, either, think that you're not welcome here.  You're MORE than welcome at this community by all of us who run CAPTalk.  Hope there's no confusion there either.  Make yourselfs at home!

WELCOME!    ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Becks

Quote from: Pylon on November 03, 2006, 06:01:14 PM
Quote from: Hartley on November 03, 2006, 05:56:10 PM
Hi Y'all,

We have no relations to the old CAPTalk, or the old CAPBoard, or any other discussion community out there. 

"I did not have inter-forum relations with that website."  :D

BBATW

MajorChuck

Quote from: Major Carrales on November 01, 2006, 02:35:12 AM
Quote from: BillB on November 01, 2006, 01:58:53 AM
Refugees??? or illegal aliens?  Right off hand it looks like many of the Portal members have already come over to CAP Talk. But can CAP Talk replace the Portal? I don't think so.

Back during Katrina local people in my area started calling the influx of people to our area "Revacuees."  I tried to enter into the American Lexicon, but it stayed pretty local.

As for replacing the "Portal?"  I don't think replacing is the word...rather the Portaleer presence will be assimulated into CAPTALK.

Resistance is futile???

Well, looks like this will be my home for a while.

DANG!

I take  time away from the Portal and not its non existant! ???

CA, Were ever you are , It was fun while it lasted...THANKS!

Like Maj. Carrels, Ill be hanging out Here.

Maj.Chuck Cook
Commander
Blue Water Composite Squadron GLR-MI-011
GLR/DCS

badger bob

enother (former) portal person junkie.

I never failed to read the posts  on the portal on a daily basis since I found that page of the universe. CA found a way to distribute information to the masses that were not available anywhere either officially or unofficially. The portal did contribute to many, many discussions that made us better "officers" and was relatively balanced between both the idea that TP was blatantly trying to take control of CAP and that CAP needs someone to take control before it implodes on itself.

I do believe that some of the ranting on all the blogs has been destructive. Anyone and everyone has the opportunity to read a blog- a commander, a CAP/USAF officer, someone from the pentagon, or even a Capitol Hill rep that may have control over CAP and DOD budgets.  Really, truly, if you are not posting a comment to help and to offer constructive criticism- plus an occasional ramble and a sermon or two- please think before you vent and spew.

In the mean time, I will remain Badger Bob, The Supply Guy.  Since I am privileged to be a squadron mate of CA, I will continue to lean on him tell he creates a promised portal person for me.

I hope to add to this and other forums as a auxilarist extraordinary.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

flyguy06

Ok, I am lost, somebody bring me up to speed. What happened to the portal?

mawr

Short story is CA's priorities shifted some (like us all) and he no longer had time for the Portal. 
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

LtCol White

I'm  here as well. 1st a hurricane refugee and now a portal one! Will it never end???

Good to see everyone.

"Charge !!!!!"
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Pylon

Quote from: LtCol White on November 06, 2006, 03:52:10 PM
I'm  here as well. 1st a hurricane refugee and now a portal one! Will it never end???

Good to see everyone.

"Charge !!!!!"

Welcome!  Looks like you came through the gates running (or perhaps "Charging!" ;) ).  Welcome to CAPTalk!     8)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

dwb

I'm a CAPortal refugee!

Well, not really... I had only been registered there a couple weeks, and I only had a few posts (my user name on CAPortal was "Erdrick").

Still, welcome everyone to CAP Talk, it's nice to see this place hoppin'.

JohnKachenmeister

Hello.  My name is John and I'm a Portalholic.

I realized I had hit bottom when Citizen Airman was hauled off by the Authorities in a black CAP van with dark tinted windows.  I knew we'd see him someday, but when we do, he will have had his lobotomy and will be but a shadow of his former self, walking around babbling incoherently, and wearing his double-breasted uniform.

I didn't want that to happen to me, so I decided to get some help.

So here I am.
Another former CAP officer

pixelwonk

You'll have to remove my nervous system in it's entirety before I will be coaxed to wear that uniform.

BillB

Major John
It wasn't an official CAP van. It didn't have the blaze orange triangle on the roof. We all know that black vans with tinted windows are only used by IG staff.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Major_Chuck

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 08, 2006, 12:56:49 AM
Hello.  My name is John and I'm a Portalholic.

I realized I had hit bottom when Citizen Airman was hauled off by the Authorities in a black CAP van with dark tinted windows.  I knew we'd see him someday, but when we do, he will have had his lobotomy and will be but a shadow of his former self, walking around babbling incoherently, and wearing his double-breasted uniform.

I didn't want that to happen to me, so I decided to get some help.

So here I am.

Don't walk alone. The Black Van was spotted in my neighborhood!
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

TankerT

Quote from: tedda on November 08, 2006, 01:21:29 AM
You'll have to remove my nervous system in it's entirety before I will be coaxed to wear that uniform.

Ohhh... that sounds like a challenge... I like a challenge...

;D

/Insert Snappy Comment Here