Main Menu

Radio Install

Started by abdsp51, June 01, 2014, 01:50:35 AM

abdsp51

Hey guys. Today I did an install on a cb in my Jeep.  Still need to get the antenna and radio matched up, numbers on the high end are way to high.  And the nice thing about this it was a clean install and routing for the antenna.  :)

THRAWN

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 01, 2014, 01:50:35 AM
Hey guys. Today I did an install on a cb in my Jeep.  Still need to get the antenna and radio matched up, numbers on the high end are way to high.  And the nice thing about this it was a clean install and routing for the antenna.  :)

10-4 good buddy...enjoy the zoo on 2. How high is way too high?  Lots of COTS fixes for high SWR..
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

KF6YVD

What kind of radio (make/model, new or used), coax type (prefab coax or self-built), antenna type?

If a experienced radio operator/installer I am sure you can see where my mind is headed..if so feel free to ignore me  :-)
Steven A. Lindquist
SWR-NM-811 Communications Officer
SWR-NM-811 Information Technologies Officer
SWR-NM-811 Asst. Cadet Programs Officer
SWR-NM-811 Asst. Leadership Officer
Amateur Radio Callsign - KF6YVD

abdsp51

Its a Cobra 29 LTD classic with a K30 antenna the cable looks like RG-58(9) can't recall which or maybe RG-8 mini. 

abdsp51

Quote from: THRAWN on June 01, 2014, 02:17:25 AM

10-4 good buddy...enjoy the zoo on 2. How high is way too high?  Lots of COTS fixes for high SWR..

High as in in the red and I dare not keep it hooked up and powered until I can get it down.  I'm under 1.5 on 1 and 3+ on 40.

THRAWN

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 01, 2014, 02:36:02 AM

High as in in the red and I dare not keep it hooked up and powered until I can get it down.  I'm under 1.5 on 1 and 3+ on 40.

Ouch. Great way to spend a Sunday!
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

EMT-83

Powered up and receiving isn't a problem, no danger there.

Eclipse

I hate to break it to you, but I think the other guy who still has a CB died last year.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: THRAWN on June 01, 2014, 01:34:04 PM

Ouch. Great way to spend a Sunday!

Did it all on a Sat.  Was fun and is a nice clean install. 

Eclipse so all the long haul truck drivers no longer use it???? >:D

Pics can be found here.  http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/abdsp51/library/

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

I guess the definition of "clean install" has changed just a bit.

abdsp51

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 01, 2014, 08:56:26 PM
I guess the definition of "clean install" has changed just a bit.

In others words the wiring isn't all over the place and an eye sore.

Fubar

Are you running the coax to the mag-mount through the hatch in the back? Do you see the same high SWR with the hatch open? I've seen pinched feed lines exhibit really high SWR before.

abdsp51

Quote from: Fubar on June 02, 2014, 12:34:46 AM
Are you running the coax to the mag-mount through the hatch in the back? Do you see the same high SWR with the hatch open? I've seen pinched feed lines exhibit really high SWR before.

Yes I am and I have not checked at all.

abdsp51

Checked with hatch open and same reading.  However tonight after trimming the whip and using an external SWR meter they read at 1.4 and 1.5 respectively.  The built in meter still reads high though :( all in all it looks like it's now manageable.

lordmonar

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 03, 2014, 03:54:41 AM
Checked with hatch open and same reading.  However tonight after trimming the whip and using an external SWR meter they read at 1.4 and 1.5 respectively.  The built in meter still reads high though :( all in all it looks like it's now manageable.
Did a google search on your antenna.....and that is what the reviewer said he had to do....snipped off about 1/2 in and got a fairly steady SWR of 1.5 or so.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

abdsp51

Quote from: lordmonar on June 03, 2014, 04:23:48 AM
Did a google search on your antenna.....and that is what the reviewer said he had to do....snipped off about 1/2 in and got a fairly steady SWR of 1.5 or so.

I figured i might have to do so and unfortunately I have had to cut a good inch off to get where I am at.  But so far so good :) I'm happy with the install so far.

Brad

Thinking of maybe getting a CB one day, but the ham in me keeps saying "no!" I'm happy with 2m and 70cm for now.

Since I'm back in my house though and out of the apartment, do want to work on an attic dipole though for HF...
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN