2012 ARWG encampment

Started by Garibaldi, August 03, 2012, 03:16:17 AM

Garibaldi

Tomorrow, 41 cadets FROM MY UNIT will be descending on Little Rock Air Force Base for the 2012 encampment. I will be driving a vanload of hyper-excited cadets down tomorrow, and back next Saturday. Please pray for me...I don't know if I'll make it. I have to go back Monday to help teach the ES classes.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

How large is this activity?  41 cadets from any one unit would generally swamp most encampments, especially if other units send numbers
of that scale.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on August 03, 2012, 03:32:17 AM
How large is this activity?  41 cadets from any one unit would generally swamp most encampments, especially if other units send numbers
of that scale.

Not sure..but our unit is the largest in ARWG at 78. Even Little Rock doesn't have that many. I have heard unofficially that our cadets make up about half of the cadet corps, so given that estimate I think we have 80-90 cadets all together, not including the cadets from other wings who are coming.

Woodsy

Enjoy!  FLWG has about 180 basics and 20 ATS in encampment now.  I'm actually headed there tomorrow to cover the banquet. 

PHall

of that scale.

41 cadets is just two flights at a CAWG Encampment. And we had 11 flights at this year's encampment.

Woodsy

Quote from: PHall on August 03, 2012, 03:58:34 AM
of that scale.

41 cadets is just two flights at a CAWG Encampment. And we had 11 flights at this year's encampment.

How many encampments do ya'll do a year out there?

SarDragon

Quote from: Woodsy on August 03, 2012, 05:07:47 AM
of that scale.

Just one.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Woodsy

Quote from: SarDragon on August 03, 2012, 05:56:17 AM
of that scale.

Just one.

Ah, that would explain the big numbers. 

PHall

Quote from: Woodsy on August 03, 2012, 08:05:57 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on August 03, 2012, 05:56:17 AM
of that scale.

Just one.

Ah, that would explain the big numbers.

That and the fact that there are approx 1500 cadets in CAWG.

Critical AOA

Arkansas state population: 2,915,918

California state population: 37,253,956

That makes California's population 12.8 times as large as Arkansas.

So if Arkansas encampment size equals 2 of CA's 11 Flights, then that means CA encampment size is only 5.5 times as large as AR's. 

So the population is 12.8 times as large but encampment size only 5.5 times as large?

I trust you were not boasting.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

PHall

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 04, 2012, 01:13:57 AM

So if Arkansas encampment size equals 2 of CA's 11 Flights, then that means CA encampment size is only 5.5 times as large as AR's. 

So the population is 12.8 times as large but encampment size only 5.5 times as large?

Nope, just reporting what we had this year. We had beds for 11 flights. We could have done 12 or 13 flights if we had the bed space.
And Nevada Wing had their encampment the same week with 72 basics too.

SarDragon

Where are you trying to go with this statistical [self serving]ion?

CAWG has 1671 cadets, numbering .004% of the state population.

ARWG has 217, for .007%.

Does that mean anything more or less than your numbers?

CAWG has a large encampment every year, and has had since I've been in the wing (1999).

The fact that you have a larger percentage of your cadet population attending encampment is commendable, but the statistic means nothing.

Let's throw some more out there:

CAWG Group 3 - 27,300 sq mi, 4.2 million population
CAWG Group 7 - 9,500 sq mi, 6.1 million population

Do they mean anything? You tell me.

I sense a little hostility, based on your negative experience with CAWG. The wing, as a whole, bears little resemblance to the unit you belonged to.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Whichever, this encampment is low in overall numbers. Our overall cadet population is down across Wing except for us. We live in a high-profile area with some of the biggest employers in the South (Walmart HQ, Tyson, JB Hunt Transportation, the University of Arkansas) so that would account for our numbers, but overall the state is suffering from the depressed/repressed economy.

Yes, I survived the trip. 11 cadets singing in the van kept me awake.

cap235629

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 04, 2012, 02:44:38 AM
Whichever, this encampment is low in overall numbers. Our overall cadet population is down across Wing except for us. We live in a high-profile area with some of the biggest employers in the South (Walmart HQ, Tyson, JB Hunt Transportation, the University of Arkansas) so that would account for our numbers, but overall the state is suffering from the depressed/repressed economy.

Our number are up in Fort Smith too.... Since I came into the squadron I have seen the DCC grow our unit from 3 active cadets to 20+.  This from a man in his early thirties with no kids of his own who joined CAP for the "free flying" and became the Cadet Programs Officer of the year for the Wing.  Not bad for a 3 year run!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Woodsy

Well dang...  When I asked how many Encampments they do a year out there, I didn't mean to start a fight!

Reminds me of the time ATC told me to quit playing with my Becker!...

Heck, I guess I won't even mention our winter encampment numbers...   >:D

Critical AOA

Quote from: SarDragon on August 04, 2012, 02:04:32 AM

Where are you trying to go with this statistical [self serving]ion?

CAWG has 1671 cadets, numbering .004% of the state population.

ARWG has 217, for .007%.

Does that mean anything more or less than your numbers?

CAWG has a large encampment every year, and has had since I've been in the wing (1999).

The fact that you have a larger percentage of your cadet population attending encampment is commendable, but the statistic means nothing.

Let's throw some more out there:

CAWG Group 3 - 27,300 sq mi, 4.2 million population
CAWG Group 7 - 9,500 sq mi, 6.1 million population

Do they mean anything? You tell me.

I sense a little hostility, based on your negative experience with CAWG. The wing, as a whole, bears little resemblance to the unit you belonged to.

Nope.  I just thought that the following sounded both boastful and like it was trying to make a comparison.

Quote41 cadets is just two flights at a CAWG Encampment. And we had 11 flights at this year's encampment.

It sounded like he was saying in regards to AR's numbers "You ain't [mess], look at our numbers".

I found it to be a little silly and disingenuous to compare raw numbers between two states with such a different general population size as CA & AR. 

That's all.  Have a nice day.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Garibaldi

Quote from: cap235629 on August 04, 2012, 03:23:33 AM
Quote from: Garibaldi on August 04, 2012, 02:44:38 AM

Our number are up in Fort Smith too.... Since I came into the squadron I have seen the DCC grow our unit from 3 active cadets to 20+.  This from a man in his early thirties with no kids of his own who joined CAP for the "free flying" and became the Cadet Programs Officer of the year for the Wing.  Not bad for a 3 year run!

You guys were giving us a run for our money back in the early part of this century though...