Staffing ENC in other wings?

Started by chacharoo, November 21, 2017, 03:17:01 AM

chacharoo

I'm highly motivated to staff encampment as cadet cadre, and was wondering if anyone would recommend going to other wings to staff in addition to your own. If so, do you have any words of advice or information that I should know?

Eclipse

It's a way to get interesting exposure to different views of CAP, but the travel can become an issue,
especially if you try for a weekend encampment.

Depending on on the role you apply for, there's likely "home field advantage" in selection,
but that's not consistent, and most wings need competent line and support staff.

With the above said, generally if you can get there on your own, with no disruption to the
activity, you can go to any wing you want (if you're driving too far, some may ask for a
"get there" plan in the name of safety).

In some cases, CEAP may help with travel expenses.

Make sure you follow the directions for applying, and don't make the encampment admin or commander
chase you for documents.

"That Others May Zoom"

chacharoo

Thank you, eclipse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozzy

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2017, 03:40:14 AM

CEAP I don't think would cover travel expenses since it disburses directly to the wing rather then the cadets and it also goes first to first-time attendees. Ned I think would have the stats on how many 2nd time+ cadets that get it but I would imagine its pretty low.

As for attending other wing's encampments, I would say you should totally do so. It gives you a unique prospective on how others tackle their encampment and will benefit you by giving you a difference experience then what others have had in your wing.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

MSG Mac

There's no reason not to attend an out of state encampment as staff or trainee. You do need your Wing CC's approval but that shouldn't be a major obstacle.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: Ozzy on November 21, 2017, 05:28:39 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2017, 03:40:14 AM

CEAP I don't think would cover travel expenses since it disburses directly to the wing rather then the cadets and it also goes first to first-time attendees. Ned I think would have the stats on how many 2nd time+ cadets that get it but I would imagine its pretty low.

Not sure where I pulled that from - I would swear at least the first year we had a couple cadets who told us they got travel expenses as well, maybe
I confused the USAF per-diem rate they use to calc the reimbursement with "travel".

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

The first year we did pay some travel expenses for cadets going between states.   We also had enough money to make partial payments to some repeat attendees.

But happily, the program is so successful in helping first-year cadets, that lower priority cadets (like repeat attendees) are much less likely to receive funding going forward.  It is still worth applying for repeat attendees, but we will only release funds once we know that all of the first-year cadets are funded.

Ned Lee
National Cadet Program Manager