Are you ready for Ground Team fitness standards?

Started by RiverAux, November 15, 2009, 02:13:00 PM

Are you likely to be able to meet a fitness standard adopted for ground team participation?

Confident that I would meet the standard with my current level of fitness.
34 (53.1%)
I probably don't meet it right now, but with a little work it shouldn't be a problem.
11 (17.2%)
Certain that I wouldn't meet the standard, but would put in the effort to reach it.
4 (6.3%)
Certain I wouldn't meet the standard and would probably stop participating in ground teams if one were adopted.
10 (15.6%)
Not a ground team member and don't intend to become one.
4 (6.3%)
Certain I could meet the standards, but would stop participating if they were adopted.
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

lordmonar

Quote from: N Harmon on November 19, 2009, 07:34:06 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 19, 2009, 02:33:41 PM
CAP Rangers is NOT what I want CAP GTM to be based on, ever.

Too late. Our SQTR system more or less came from the ranger system.

Not to mention the whole GTM task guide and reference material was wholely lifted from the Ranger Program.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on November 19, 2009, 08:10:20 PM

Not to mention the whole GTM task guide and reference material was wholely lifted from the Ranger Program.

I actually have one of the original Ranger Guides...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on November 19, 2009, 08:10:20 PM

You are talking program material that was developed from sound ideas. I'm talking what I have seen in the last 7 years as a CAP member come off that mountain and back to my area.

N Harmon

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 19, 2009, 08:25:43 PM
You are talking program material that was developed from sound ideas. I'm talking what I have seen in the last 7 years as a CAP member come off that mountain and back to my area.

What exactly are you getting at?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Eclipse

Kidding aside...

If you compare them side by side, you'll see that much of the current GTM Manual comes almost verbatim from the "United States Air Force Search and Rescue Survival Training: Af Regulation 64-4".

I can't speak to the lineage of the actual materials, certainly the ground SAR program was for years referred to as the Ranger program, there's no denying that, but the missions we undertake today are a far cry from Ranger-level activities (even in the CAP sense).

I'm sure there's 15 reasons steeped in intrigue, politics, inter-agency rivalry and liability issues as to why that is, but one thing is for sure, there isn't a single cadet in the program today who ever came up through the old program, and even the seniors who were rated in that way are getting scarce, consideraing that the current materials came into being over a decade ago.

"That Others May Zoom"

Rodriguez

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2009, 07:48:52 PM
Quote from: Rodriguez on November 19, 2009, 12:03:39 AM
Am I the only one that finds it strange that a C/Capt. has never heard of a CAP Ranger grade.

There is no such grade within the CAP program.

What you are likely referring to is an NCSA run in (I believe but am not sure) the Poconos that does some SAR training and the like.  Its a pretty good adventure camp, but doesn't confer any special CAP ratings.

A graduate of that program is no more (or less) qualified to perform CAP ES missions than any other GTM in the program.

I think that what many people seem to forget is that, Rangers do have to attain the corresponding GTM level when they achieve a ranger grade. And that goes for Hawk as well, we do GT training there just as you would at NESA. And for the most part the two do correspond. A few differences are simple stuff like woodsmanship, and survival. But other than that When we say ranger were really talking the same thing as GT. The main difference is the training environment. Simple as that.
Quote from: Rodriguez on November 19, 2009, 12:03:39 AM
Am I the only one that finds it strange that a C/Capt. has never heard of a CAP Ranger grade. And I say "CAP" Ranger because unfortunately you've confused us for the Army Rangers, which we in mo way profess to be. I mean we have park rangers, and state troopers have been known to be called "Rangers" from time to time.
But, again no relation to the Army Rangers.

I actually know what CAP Rangers are - wish I haven't since around 2003. My comment was somewhat of a tongue in cheek.  CAP Rangers is NOT what I want CAP GTM to be based on, ever. That's also why Pawger is a noun where I come from.  :D

Quote from: NCRblues on November 19, 2009, 12:33:56 AM
^ Plus many uh "rangers" are more or less ignored because of the attitude that seems to come from the "ranger" schools, but i wont start down that long road.... ::)

^^^ We may be not traveling down the same road, eh?

Is it really necessary?, your humor? I mean I'm not sitting here saying I'm better than you and this is better than that.
I have better things to do.

-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG