New CAPR 60-3 effective 17 Aug 09

Started by Short Field, August 17, 2009, 06:46:22 PM

Short Field

The new CAPR 60-3 is now out.  It is in the Pubs and Regs section of eServices.  Changes were also made to eServices Ops Quals to reflect some of the changes.   

After a quick read of the reg, I was impressed.  It makes the SQTR in Ops Quals the source for qualificatins and required tasks.  The task guides are identified as supportng materials.  60-3 also identified a lot of new operational achievements that will be availiable later as training requriements and materials are finalized.

The attachments that provided equailent sortie credit and who could supervise trainees are gone.   

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Airrace

Chief2009

Why is CERT now a specialty? Is is supposed to be a small unit for DR, like a UDF team is a smaller GT?

I had this training a while ago and for those who don't know it's mainly used for shutting off gas, checking structures for injured people. At least that's what the bulk of my training was for.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

Short Field

Just found the new location for the Sortie Equivalency and Qualified Supervisors tables.

Go to http://www.capmembers.com then click Emergency Services, then click Operations Support, then click Education and Training.  They are listed with other training materials on the left side of the screen.

Wilson #2640

Thom

Quote from: Chief2009 on August 18, 2009, 07:24:45 PM
Why is CERT now a specialty? Is is supposed to be a small unit for DR, like a UDF team is a smaller GT?

I had this training a while ago and for those who don't know it's mainly used for shutting off gas, checking structures for injured people. At least that's what the bulk of my training was for.

DN

CERT Training varies WILDLY around the country.  Some places get the minimal training to go door to door and make sure people are safe after a disaster, others get training on confined space rescue and proper cribbing of collapsed structures!

I'm not at all sure what having it as a Specialty in ES is supposed to do, other than document that you are trained in CERT by your local organization.  Does anyone know why they added it?

Thom Hamilton

Short Field

Probably just to document you are trained in CERT by your local organization.

Documenting additional qualifications in eServices is a good thing.  It allows the IC to quickly identify who is qualified for a specific function by running a report in eServices.  This results in the IC knowing whom to contact for additional support on a mission if needed.  Day Four on a mission can get awfully lonely at mission base.   :D

What will be really interesting is to see the new SQTRS and task guides for the new Ops Quals.  It will be really nice to have a qualified Situation Unit Leader, Resource Unit Leader, and a Cost Unit Leader supporting a operation instead just a generic Mission Staff Assistant.
Wilson #2640

ricks

Short Field

Wilson #2640

RiverAux

It appears that they've loosened up the medical care requirements a bit:

Old 60-3:
Quotef. First Aid and Emergency Medical Care. CAP is not an emergency medical care or paramedic organization and should not advertise itself as such. CAP will not be the primary provider of medical support on missions or training events though qualified personnel can be used to support such activities. The only type of medical aid that should be administered by CAP personnel or by any other person at CAP's request is reasonable first aid deemed necessary to save a life or prevent human suffering and executed by a person qualified to attempt such medical care within their skill level.

New 60-3:
Quotef. First Aid and Emergency Medical Care. CAP is not an emergency medical care or paramedic organization and should not advertise itself as such. CAP will not be the primary provider of medical support on missions or training events though qualified personnel can be used to support such activities. The only type of medical aid that should be administered by CAP personnel or by any other person at CAP's request is reasonable treatment deemed necessary to save a life or prevent human suffering. This treatment must be executed by a person qualified to attempt such medical care within their skill level. When first aid or higher medical training is required for qualification in a particular specialty, the expectation is that the qualification course includes both knowledge and practical skills training; first aid courses taken on-line only are not acceptable; though members are not considered employees when supporting operations, courses are expected to meet the National Guidelines for First Aid in Occupational Settings available at http://www.ngfatos.net/ or ASTM F 2171-02, Standard Guide for Defining the Performance of First Aid Providers in Occupational Settings. CAP medical personnel are not provided supplemental malpractice insurance coverage, and any care provided is at the members own risk. Though medical supplies and equipment are not normally provided to responders, any reasonable supplies used on training or actual missions may be submitted for reimbursement as long as sufficient justification is provided.

So, rather than implying that they really only wanted us administering typical "first aid", they have even more expressely allowed for more to be done, but only at the members own risk. 

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on August 18, 2009, 10:08:15 PM
It appears that they've loosened up the medical care requirements a bit:

Old 60-3:
Quotef. First Aid and Emergency Medical Care. CAP is not an emergency medical care or paramedic organization and should not advertise itself as such. CAP will not be the primary provider of medical support on missions or training events though qualified personnel can be used to support such activities. The only type of medical aid that should be administered by CAP personnel or by any other person at CAP's request is reasonable first aid deemed necessary to save a life or prevent human suffering and executed by a person qualified to attempt such medical care within their skill level.

New 60-3:
Quotef. First Aid and Emergency Medical Care. CAP is not an emergency medical care or paramedic organization and should not advertise itself as such. CAP will not be the primary provider of medical support on missions or training events though qualified personnel can be used to support such activities. The only type of medical aid that should be administered by CAP personnel or by any other person at CAP's request is reasonable treatment deemed necessary to save a life or prevent human suffering. This treatment must be executed by a person qualified to attempt such medical care within their skill level. When first aid or higher medical training is required for qualification in a particular specialty, the expectation is that the qualification course includes both knowledge and practical skills training; first aid courses taken on-line only are not acceptable; though members are not considered employees when supporting operations, courses are expected to meet the National Guidelines for First Aid in Occupational Settings available at http://www.ngfatos.net/ or ASTM F 2171-02, Standard Guide for Defining the Performance of First Aid Providers in Occupational Settings. CAP medical personnel are not provided supplemental malpractice insurance coverage, and any care provided is at the members own risk. Though medical supplies and equipment are not normally provided to responders, any reasonable supplies used on training or actual missions may be submitted for reimbursement as long as sufficient justification is provided.

So, rather than implying that they really only wanted us administering typical "first aid", they have even more expressely allowed for more to be done, but only at the members own risk.

I don't read that as "loosened up". I read that as clarified to close up some loop holes that people were taking advantage of.

Short Field

^^^ I agree.  There were several other areas in the new reg that seems to clean up past "confusion".
Wilson #2640

lordmonar

It is possible that we are answering the call from some of our customers about how we can help in an emergency.

CERT is just the sort of thing FEMA and DHS wanted from us to help out after Katrina and all those floods.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

I meant loosened up in regards to clarifying that we can provide treatment more advanced than first aid, but you're right about the rest being mostly clarification and loophole closing.

ande.boyer

Has anyone found "Detailed guidance for the use and retention of CAP and ICS forms and other mission documentation is available on the NHQ CAP/DOS website." referenced in para 1-21?

I would love to see, from a definitive source, what forms are required to be filled out for a mission.

-ande

IceNine

Quote from: lordmonar on August 19, 2009, 12:05:36 AM
It is possible that we are answering the call from some of our customers about how we can help in an emergency.

CERT is just the sort of thing FEMA and DHS wanted from us to help out after Katrina and all those floods.

It is much easier to avoid lengthy discussions about our qualifications if we are using other accredited methods.

Having CERT, NASAR, Red Cross, etc will not hurt our cause for sure, and in some cases its just easier to walk in with the certification the agency wants to hear than it is to attempt to explain how we meet the requirements but don't have the documents to prove it.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

Nothing wrong with the CERT qualification, but we need some CAP-specific guidance in 60-3 about how exactly CAP is going to use them.   For example, CERT teams receive some basic SAR training.  For example, can someone with a CERT qual do SAR without also having some GT training? 

MikeD

Does anyone have any more information on the CERT qual?  If not, any good rumors/speculation?  >:D

Same for the water survival course, what are the requirements?  I took the refresher training (classroom and pool) for aircrew on test missions through the Air Force Flight Test Center/Edwards AFB about a year and a half ago, and it's considered current for a total of 5 years.

heliodoc

Mike

Surf the CERT website.  CERT has quite a fairly good Train the Trainer program for instructors and a fairly good overall program.  I used to oversee some of their operations when I was a EMA type ensuring the DHS money and Citizen Corps pass through money came down from the Feds to the State.  Some of their training, LIKE CAP's, varies, and that comes with any volunteer org.  The POI and training is fairly organized, but again how people perceive and apply may make into the instructor ranks.

Your AFFTC Water Survival would probably EXCEED anything CAP has to offer.  Unless Flying Pig or some others have answers.  I just spent 5 hours last week putting together a Risk Matrix chart and plan together for rappel ops coming up for our squadron.  Because CAP DOES NOT have a Template for many operations, I made one based on ROTC and Ft Bragg POI's.  I also ensured that Army TM's, FM's, and rappel TC's were documented.

Also remember, CAP members may ask for some "FREE" training from the AF sometime.  Make sure you become that project officer and document it.  I already have the feeling my training matrix is headed for the Wing and they will copy and author it as their own.  I have already made it known to my Sqdn members, that when the Wing asks, credit be given due where it originated because CAP has no real training plans, other than, "qual'd rappel instructors (rappel masters) on DoD locations"  That indicates to me, no real training plan!!

Hope this is not too long wided but there is .02

ZigZag911

My information is that CERT was added to 101 for documentation of training as well as ease of asset identification.

MikeD

helidoc, ZigZag,

Thanks for the answer, but the big mystery seems to be the ConOps.  It talked about a min size of 3 for a team, but didn't say anything about the mission.  It'll be interesting to see where they take it (I hope)...