COMMS CALLSIGNS???

Started by jheaney1108, July 30, 2007, 08:38:54 PM

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on August 03, 2007, 04:49:45 AM
Quote from: Camas on August 03, 2007, 04:39:30 AM
Quote from: floridacyclist on July 31, 2007, 01:05:21 PM
- - - -  because you have to have a radio assigned (or owned) - - - -

Maybe I've missed something but do you have to have a radio?  I've seen nothing in CAPM 100-1 Vol 1.

well currently the call sign is assigned to the radio...

It depends, we have vehicles with designated callsigns- they have radios in them, but I too have- or will shortly- my own callsign, but I do not have an assigned radio.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Maybe I've missed something but do you have to have a radio?  I've seen nothing in CAPM 100-1 Vol 1.

Why do you need a call sign if you don't have a radio?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Quote from: SarDragon on August 03, 2007, 10:29:11 PM

In some cases, a GTL may not have his/her own radio, so when they show up to mission base they'll have to be issued one.  I realize that in many situations they'll assign a team call sign, but if its a CAP-only mission, especially a training mission, what call sign would they use?

In NATCAP wing, back in the day, if you were a GTL you'd get a call sign.
Serving since 1987.

arajca

Quote from: Stonewall on August 03, 2007, 10:34:18 PM
snip
I realize that in many situations they'll assign a team call sign, but if its a CAP-only mission, especially a training mission, what call sign would they use?
How about the one assigned when they are actually assigned to a GT in accordance with the comm plan. If you don't have a comm plan, start jumping on the CUL. In practice, I usually see the GT using the call sign of the vehicle they are in.

SarDragon

Quote from: SarDragon on August 03, 2007, 10:29:11 PM

In some cases, a GTL may not have his/her own radio, so when they show up to mission base they'll have to be issued one.  I realize that in many situations they'll assign a team call sign, but if its a CAP-only mission, especially a training mission, what call sign would they use?

In NATCAP wing, back in the day, if you were a GTL you'd get a call sign.

In that situation, assign a call sign from a free block. The need for a call sign comes with possession of a radio, period.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

floridacyclist

We always assign functional callsigns regardless of whether someone has a callsign or not; it just makes good comm sense. When things are busy, folks want to have to refer to a cheat sheet to figure out who is on what team....just call them by team number....Uniform-1, Golf-2 etc etc. I could care less who asnwers the radio as long as I get the team I need.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Ricochet13

Quote from: JC004 link=topic=2506.msg46043#msg46043 date=
Quote from: Camas link=topic=2506.msg46042#msg46042 date=
Quote from: floridacyclist link=topic=2506.msg45576#msg45576 date=

well currently the call sign is assigned to the radio...

That may vary from wing to wing.  I have a call sign independent of any communications equipment.

tvh2k

I'm pretty sure in NYWG you need ACUT + a radio to get a callsign.

Also, if you're out shopping for a radio, make sure it's narrowband!  My VX150 has served me well but after next January it won't meet NTIA specs. (EDIT: seems that's been a requirement for new member purchases since 31 Dec 04.  Mine was just grandfathered in until 2008.  oops)
Terence Van Hise, 1st Lt, CAP
C/2d Lt (select), AFROTC (Det 538)
C/Maj, AAS