Main Menu

GTM2 Training

Started by TheGooseLover, November 10, 2015, 01:43:23 AM

TheGooseLover

Quote from: Spam on November 14, 2015, 02:58:01 PM
(Virtual high five, again, Chaser)

LT T,

What I've done in the past is to TEACH all the nav related topics in a block, which when presented in context, sequentially, conveys the material in a building block approach that ties it all together. (As Ive said before on CT, it makes no sense to have "use a compass" out of context in GTM3 F&P, and is potentially dangerous in that a newbie could have a false sense of security that they could competently navigate, ignoring the "actions on lost" task).

Concur though that under the present system, your ESO was correct to require a reverification.  If and when there is some degree of rationalization of tasks to functionally group them in capability-based blocks, we'd move to a better capability-based system to train, verify, and certify tasks linked to -3, -2, and -1 (and GTL).

Good comments.
- Spam

PS, No, I would not take the OP on my team on an actual - yet.  I WOULD however want to have him in my unit. His enthusiasm and willingness to train are positive indicators of great raw material, and his situation seems no fault of his own.  I'm only a fan of zero defect mentality with nuclear weapons security and abusers; don't forget that Halsey ran his ship aground as a JO, and Cadet Patton was on report many times.  This could be a very positive experience, depending on how he takes all this.

Thank You Sir
Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on November 14, 2015, 01:36:11 PM
Lack of integrity, and based on some of his responses in this thread, a serious lack of maturity on the part of our young NCO, which would make me question whether or not I'd want him on a team with me in a serious situation
Sir, how can you base someone's maturity and skill on a post on some forum? With no emotion, no speech patterns to justify your statement... Just words that I've printed. If you'd said something along the line of "slightly immature" I'd be fine. And personally, telling me I have a lack of integrity is pretty demoralizing. So really, maybe I'd do better off with no quals, and being demoted back to C/Amn. But I'm here now, and I've worked to be here. So I'll stay here.

P.S. I have worked in a real world scenario on a team with a Ranger 2nd class and a blue beret. None of them seemed to think those things...
C/Capt. Riley M. Hodge
SWR-OK-113

sarmed1

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on November 14, 2015, 01:36:11 PM

I understand the concept of efficiency in training, but everyone is correct, that's not how the regs go. It's F&P, Advanced and 2 missions, then commander approval, then Wing approval, then when you are active you can start training in the next level. Any GTM2 tasks you completed prior to becoming an active GTM3 are not valid, and must be done over. Likewise, if you just became an active GTM3 this week Monday, and missions completed prior to Monday can't be used for GTM2. It sucks, but that's how it is. Reading is fundamental.

Actual no, thats not what the reg says- as a quoted above:  it says you can combine them for efficiency of training, only you cant be a mission trainee (and get mission participation credit) until you complete the fam and prep, nor do you have to wait to do the two missions (mission sorties) until you have all of the advanced tasks completed, that can be done anytime once you are completed with the fam and prep and thats signed off)

Quote...These tasks do not have to be completed in a mission setting though. It is acceptable for these tasks to be accomplished with similar familiarization and preparatory tasks during routine unit training or in a formal school like the National Emergency Services Academy.

I would concur that you can only use mission credit for missions after you became a GTM3, the point is supposed to be you are operating as a GTM2 trainee, which in theory has a different skill set from a GTM3, so your eval should be based on that status not the former.

In regarding skills out of order:  how does that work with auto populating from computer entry.  The last time I put things in the computer it would put similar tasks in whichever specialty had that task it it. (I am assuming it still does)  i.e.  Complete Task O-0204 Locate a point on a Map using Latitude and Longitude.  It is an advanced training skill for both GTL and mission scanner.  If I am MS qualified, and decide that I want to become a GTL, but havent done GTM3 yet, do I have to do that task over again (assuming it is within 2 years of the original task), because according to the logic here, because I didnt do GTM3 fam and prep first my skill demonstration means nothing since it was accomplished prior to that date.  If I do in fact have to duplicate the performance, does it change the original date in the system?  (ie will my MS task date now show completed after I became qualified) or what happens if I am training for MS and GTMs at the same time?  According to some you would deny my qualification for one or the other outright because of date mismatch?

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel