Survival Myths

Started by LSThiker, June 17, 2014, 10:31:49 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: blackrain on June 19, 2014, 01:58:58 AM
Quote from: LSThiker on June 18, 2014, 01:35:50 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on June 18, 2014, 02:25:36 AM
Carry a cell phone. You can always call for help if you're otherwise clueless.

It is funny how much we rely on cell phones now. 

I have heard people say "oh I will just use the compass on my phone"

You know I actually sprung for a cheap Roshan Cell (with scratch card minutes) in Afghanistan as back-up means of comms. Ironically it was more reliable than most means especially in the Kabul area....though even in RC-East it worked pretty much everywhere....not secure but in a pinch it could be a lifesaver. I could reliably reach the Operations Center along with the various team members. I was reading "Lone Survivor" and I found myself wondering if they had had such a simple device if the outcome would have been different.

As for the US I recall some areas in southern Arizona that were like the dark side of the moon for cell reception......

We had a former cadet who was in the Guard in Iraq - he said everyone wanted guard duty because the tower was the only place with
good reception.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: LSThiker on June 18, 2014, 01:35:50 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on June 18, 2014, 02:25:36 AM
Carry a cell phone. You can always call for help if you're otherwise clueless.

It is funny how much we rely on cell phones now. 

I have heard people say "oh I will just use the compass on my phone"

Nah..don't use the compass on your phone.  Just use the GPS and enter the location where you want to go.  When in a Survival situation, I typically enter looking for a Starbucks.  They have the best public restrooms.

bosshawk

There are tons of places in the Sierra Nevadas in CA where your cell phone is so much dead weight.  I happen to live in one of them.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PHall

Quote from: bosshawk on June 29, 2014, 12:21:46 AM
There are tons of places in the Sierra Nevadas in CA where your cell phone is so much dead weight.  I happen to live in one of them.

Gotta get that weather ballon and a couple hundred feet of WD-1 Paul. That should get you a signal!

Eclipse

Quote from: bosshawk on June 29, 2014, 12:21:46 AM

A GPS with cached maps works anywhere it can see the satellites.

You can still use the compass, not to mention the .pdf copy of the USAF Survival guide.

Use the glass face as a signal mirror, the screen as a flashlight, and record your last Will and Testament in a video.

You can also use it to jam to the Black Eyed Peas while wandering in circles.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

"A CD makes a great signal mirror"

"I'm prepared, I brought this survival kit I bought at Wal-Mart. It has 3 matches, half a space blanket, and a cute little compass."

bosshawk

I really can get an occasional cell signal, just need to be in the right room in my house or up on the hill by the horse barn: every other day and a few nights are good.  Verizon happens to be the company of choice, since they are the only ones with towers anywhere in this county.  If you have AT&T, leave your phone in your pocket.

My cell has no GPS capability, since it is a "dumb" phone.  I am too technically challenged to have a smart phone: had my first college degree before personal computers were even invented and I have never been interested enough to learn all that stuff.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

LSThiker

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 29, 2014, 05:54:47 AM

While a CD looks like it would work, it really does not over a long distance.  At a short range playing with the idea, it looks bright to most people.  However, they fail to realize that the light disperses the further you go out.  A flat mirror is the best, but a CD would work in a pinch.  I played around with this before years ago.  At 11 miles on an excellent day with a new CD, you can see it but not much further than that.   

lordmonar

Well I think that's the point.

The CD is only really good in A) your car just broke down in the middle of no-where and you see a helo/plane/people in the distance....you may just have one to signal him...not best...but better then nothing.....and B) You are just getting you feet wet with this Ground Team thing and you don't want to spend $20 for a good signal mirror so go with a CD.

At some point you have to bite the bullet and get "real" gear....but it is goood for a start.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spaceman3750

Quote from: LSThiker on July 01, 2014, 03:01:00 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 29, 2014, 05:54:47 AM

While a CD looks like it would work, it really does not over a long distance.  At a short range playing with the idea, it looks bright to most people.  However, they fail to realize that the light disperses the further you go out.  A flat mirror is the best, but a CD would work in a pinch.  I played around with this before years ago.  At 11 miles on an excellent day with a new CD, you can see it but not much further than that.   

Yeah I know, that's why I quoted it. Everyone I've seen carrying a "signal mirror" CD was also carrying an old Clapton CD in a sandwich baggie and it was scratched up. Couldn't see it 5 feet, let alone 1-2k

LSThiker

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 01, 2014, 06:58:41 AM
carrying an old Clapton CD

Good choice for CDs.  Other than Wonderful Tonight, which I only play to annoy my wife, I never really got into his music.  :)

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on July 01, 2014, 03:46:31 AM
B) You are just getting you feet wet with this Ground Team thing and you don't want to spend $20 for a good signal mirror so go with a CD.

True, although I never spent $20 for a good signal mirror (I think $10) but yes I get your point.  However, when informing people of the CD "alternative", it is best to state the pro's and con's of the gear.  Something that I find very few people doing.  For example, the pro's and con's of synthetic vs down sleeping bags vs quilts and temperatures of -20, 20, 30, 40+, etc.  Or the use of a tarp vs hammock vs tent shelters.  Just for the record, I would never expect any one to buy a down sleeping bag. Heck I still have not even made that investment even though I have a 11lb base weight for backpacking.   

Spaceman3750

I don't see how I can evaluate you on signal mirror use using a CD. You really need a proper sighting hole. I've found the hand sighting technique to be much less effective in informal field tests.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 01, 2014, 04:27:27 PM
I don't see how I can evaluate you on signal mirror use using a CD. You really need a proper sighting hole. I've found the hand sighting technique to be much less effective in informal field tests.

CDs are good, and many female cadets carry some sort of makeup case with a small mirror that they can use. The hand sighting technique is fiercely good. I always have advised cadets to get a metal mirror and not a glass one due to breakage.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 01, 2014, 04:29:43 PM

CDs are good, and many female cadets carry some sort of makeup case with a small mirror that they can use. The hand sighting technique is fiercely good. I always have advised cadets to get a metal mirror and not a glass one due to breakage.

I'll chalk this one to YMMV then. I've found signal mirrors to be hugely important for dismounted A/G coordination so I stick with the good stuff, but I can't compel anyone to believe me or buy anything.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 01, 2014, 04:34:11 PM

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 01, 2014, 04:29:43 PM

I'll chalk this one to YMMV then. I've found signal mirrors to be hugely important for dismounted A/G coordination so I stick with the good stuff, but I can't compel anyone to believe me or buy anything.

Heck, even the screen of their smart phone would work. It's gotta be good for something out in the field, even when there is no signal!
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

You see the signal or you don't.

What else is there.  A CD might not burn a hole in your hand like a $50 signal mirror will, but it will get the job done.

And you and I both have direct experience that even a 4x8 sheet of tinfoil won't do any good if the "searchers" are clueless
or literally see you and then don't tell anyone.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

Shoot I Stihl carry around an "Old CD/DVD" it was free, if it brakes oh whell. Dang, Text Speak, Go Away!!
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

lordmonar

End Results.....does the trainee get the shiny spot on the target?   What is to evaluate?

"Cadet.....put that spot on that sign post over there."
"Now put it on that sign post over there."
"Now put it on that sign post over there."

That's all there is too  it.

We need to show both techniques...because one day all you are going to have is a shard of rear view mirror and a bad look angle!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spartan

That is why I train GT trainees with my signal mirror and evaluate them on proper usage of the signal mirror. They get to signal my assistant 100+ meters away. The CD approach works, but it is not as effective as greater distances or at lower light levels.

I like using my smart phone as an example of an everyday item that can work in a pinch.

My favorite myth involves cacti as a water source. If you don't find the correct kind you WILL acquire diarrhea and make your problem worse. In the correct cacti, it isn't water, but a moist pulp that is kind of bittersweet.