New Specialty Qualification?

Started by exFlight Officer, September 06, 2011, 12:07:44 PM

exFlight Officer

I noticed a new(?) Specialty Qualification in eServices while looking at my 101 card. Could someone explain what this means O.o  sure has got me baffled..

GIIEP - Geospatial Information Interoperability Exploitation Portable Operator

Thanks

EMT-83

exFlight Officer

Don't I feel smart. Thanks  EMT-83  :D  I suppose I had my slow flakes this morning..

Extremepredjudice

That thing is cool... To bad we will only have ~10.

Radio+interwebz!
And still picture and video transmission!

What are the range on these?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

coudano

Sorry to be a bubble burster, however
It isn't as cool as advertised.

JeffDG

Quote from: coudano on September 06, 2011, 02:15:58 PM
Sorry to be a bubble burster, however
It isn't as cool as advertised.
Concur.

I don't see it in OpsQuals (and I have been through the training with it)

Eclipse

We used it a couple weeks ago, and the operators were not quite "glowing" in their descriptions, it is still clearly a work in progress.

Another frustration is that many people think it is ARCHER II which it decidly isn't.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2011, 02:26:42 PM
We used it a couple weeks ago, and the operators were not quite "glowing" in their descriptions, it is still clearly a work in progress.

Another frustration is that many people think it is ARCHER II which it decidly isn't.
The main thing I've noticed using it (both on the ground and air) is bandwidth.  I've never gotten more than 1-2 fps on the video.  For stills, it works nicely, I can take a shot, check it, and upload it to base in under 30 seconds, which is fantastic in DR damage assessment missions, because the base can come back and tell me if they need more detail, or if I should move on to the next target in a reasonable timeframe.

Thom

My understanding is that there is very little 'work in progress' about the field equipment, that the only ongoing work is around the back-end systems. I'll ask Ants for more commentary on that, but as far as I know the gear is what it is, and won't be changing any time soon.

The After Action Report from Louisiana Wing's recent Mississippi River Flooding Mission should be making the rounds shortly. Attached is a Technical Challenges document which is, in large part, the tale of how little success we had using GIIEP.

The system has reasonable capabilities, but is bound with severe limitations, restrictions, and requirements. In short, it might work great for some missions, and be less than useless on others.

We are continuing to train folks on the system, but we will be very selective in how we attempt to deploy it in the future.

Thom

ProdigalJim

Quote from: Thom on September 06, 2011, 03:19:30 PM
The After Action Report from Louisiana Wing's recent Mississippi River Flooding Mission should be making the rounds shortly. Attached is a Technical Challenges document which is, in large part, the tale of how little success we had using GIIEP.

I'm getting ready to spend the weekend doing GIIEP training. In the absence of the Technical Challenges document, can you offer a "Reader's Digest" version here on CT?

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Larry Mangum

My observations from GIIEP training at NESA this year.

1. Stay within 1200 to 1500 AGL and within 5 miles of an Interstate or metropolitan area and you might be able to send video and pictures back. 
2. Make sure everything works before you leave the ground.
3. Open notepad on the toughbook and type in your password before you take off. Then when trying to enter the password in while bumping around in the air, you can simply paste it in. Will save you from locking out the account, as you only get three attempts.  Cannot overstate the importance of this. Three classes at NESA managed to lock out 9 of 12 training accounts, if I recall correctly.
4. You can always save the video or pictures locally and send them when you get back in an area withe adequate cellular coverage or back on the ground at the FBO.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

LTC Don

Quote from: JeffDG on September 06, 2011, 02:50:17 PM

The main thing I've noticed using it (both on the ground and air) is bandwidth.  I've never gotten more than 1-2 fps on the video.  For stills, it works nicely, I can take a shot, check it, and upload it to base in under 30 seconds, which is fantastic in DR damage assessment missions, because the base can come back and tell me if they need more detail, or if I should move on to the next target in a reasonable timeframe.

Until TPTB (Redstone) can figure out how to get a cellular antenna outside the aircraft cabin, the system in terms of FMV is useless and is questionable with stills. OR, CAP can field mobile cellular support units like the National Guard already has to support the air mission with decent antennas/bandwidth.

The Panasonic Toughbook is a nice platform, until you've had in your lap for an hour and you now have second degree burns from the heat, and multiple reboots.........eating up mission time waiting on the laptop/software.

Yes, the system has serious production problems.

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Eclipse

Quote from: Larry Mangum on September 07, 2011, 01:01:08 PM3. Open notepad on the toughbook and type in your password before you take off. Then when trying to enter the password in while bumping around in the air, you can simply paste it in. Will save you from locking out the account, as you only get three attempts.  Cannot overstate the importance of this. Three classes at NESA managed to lock out 9 of 12 training accounts, if I recall correctly.

Let me guess - 8-10 characters, alpha-numeric, mixed-case.  The password should be entered once, saved, and not a factor for the operator.

By the third of fourth time someone locks out a system you'd think they'd have changed the procedure.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on September 07, 2011, 01:21:53 PM
Quote from: Larry Mangum on September 07, 2011, 01:01:08 PM3. Open notepad on the toughbook and type in your password before you take off. Then when trying to enter the password in while bumping around in the air, you can simply paste it in. Will save you from locking out the account, as you only get three attempts.  Cannot overstate the importance of this. Three classes at NESA managed to lock out 9 of 12 training accounts, if I recall correctly.

Let me guess - 8-10 characters, alpha-numeric, mixed-case.  The password should be entered once, saved, and not a factor for the operator.

By the third of fourth time someone locks out a system you'd think they'd have changed the procedure.
No, nothing that simple:

• 15 characters
  • At least 2 "Special Characters"
  • At least 2 numbers
  • At least 2 upper case and at least two lower case
  • Must not be one of your last 10 passwords

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JeffDG on September 07, 2011, 01:31:30 PM

No, nothing that simple:

• 15 characters
  • At least 2 numbers

You have just seen the epitome of security folk vs. everyone else. Those standards are very good from an INFOSEC standpoint, but not very good from an operational standpoint. Can you log in on the ground?

Larry Mangum

Yes, you can login on the ground, but you will probably have to exit and relogin multiple times while in the air. 
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

davidsinn

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 08, 2011, 02:42:17 AM
Quote from: JeffDG on September 07, 2011, 01:31:30 PM

No, nothing that simple:

• 15 characters
  • At least 2 numbers

You have just seen the epitome of security folk vs. everyone else. Those standards are very good from an INFOSEC standpoint, but not very good from an operational standpoint. Can you log in on the ground?

It's not even good INFOSEC because a password that complex and used that rarely will have to be written down and that blows the whole thing. Frankly the IT weenies that enforce this crap are idiots.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn