USAF Service Academy Night...?

Started by Luis R. Ramos, May 21, 2013, 01:18:18 AM

Luis R. Ramos

What does this event consists of?

Would you allow any of your cadets to attend such an event in Blues?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

a2capt

These are usually where, in this case, USAFA cadets and staff come and hold an "open house" of sorts. What's academy life like, getting accepted, the education opportunities, etc.

As for the uniform .. if the unit goes as a group, sure. Why not? Even otherwise, especially those cadet officers who are nearing their end in the program, either due to school or age, and are interested in the Air Force Academy. They're the ones you're probably going to worry less about. The Cadet Program is a branch of the Air University in effect, is it not?

If it's an event outside of the unit, you can't really prevent people from attending, nor can I come up with a reason why you would want to do that, though you could explicitly dis-allow the CAP uniform from the unit level. I can't think of a real good reason why.

MajorPayne

I'm going to one of these tomorrow night!
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go, if he doesnt mind who gets the credit."
Ronald Reagan

C/CMSgt Payne
Charlie Flight Commander
Group 7 CAC represenative

Luis R. Ramos

It seems one of our cadet officers asked the squadron CC for uniform wear propriety. We are not going as a unit. I am tempted to say "why not?" If we cannot say "don't go," the opposite, "go" we shouldn't say either. And the cadet can choose to wear, or not, the uniform?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Al Sayre

You can pretty much bet that there will be a pile of ROTC Cadets there in uniform.  I would say it is entirely approriate, but that's up to your Squadron Commander. 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

bosshawk

I suppose that different areas of the country do these things differently.  I am a volunteer in the West Point Admissions program and we have Academy Information Nights a couple of times a year.  I have been doing this longer than some of you guys have been breathing and I have never seen an ROTC cadet or a CAP cadet wear a uniform.  Maybe the Air Force does it differently????
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

MSG Mac

Quote from: flyer333555 on May 21, 2013, 12:00:13 PM
It seems one of our cadet officers asked the squadron CC for uniform wear propriety. We are not going as a unit. I am tempted to say "why not?" If we cannot say "don't go," the opposite, "go" we shouldn't say either. And the cadet can choose to wear, or not, the uniform?

Flyer

Better to have asked the AFA Liaison who was sponsoring the event.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member