US Standard Issue/Oakley REVISITED

Started by anonymous former c/col, May 22, 2011, 04:18:44 PM

AngelWings

Quote from: NIN on May 22, 2011, 11:12:34 PM
Quote from: Littleguy on May 22, 2011, 11:04:16 PM
Internet: A place to mingle and for different personalities to make Sunday night entertainment  :clap: .

Better than "All In The Family" re-runs. (But strangely not dissimilar )
That had me dying.  I think we should make a show "Odds and Ends of CAP", we'd be more popular than Jesery Shore.

HGjunkie

Quote from: Littleguy on May 22, 2011, 11:10:56 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on May 22, 2011, 11:09:44 PM
NIN, that picture cracks me up every time I see it.

Littleguy, got any popcorn?  :P
Sure. want some  :D

Sounds good, I'll get some drinks.  :P

Quote from: Littleguy on May 22, 2011, 11:17:42 PM
That had me dying.  I think we should make a show "Odds and Ends of CAP", we'd be more popular than Jesery Shore.

And we wouldn't even need to script any of the drama.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

AngelWings

Quote from: HGjunkie on May 22, 2011, 11:19:59 PM
Quote from: Littleguy on May 22, 2011, 11:10:56 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on May 22, 2011, 11:09:44 PM
NIN, that picture cracks me up every time I see it.

Littleguy, got any popcorn?  :P
Sure. want some  :D

Sounds good, I'll get some drinks.  :P

Quote from: Littleguy on May 22, 2011, 11:17:42 PM

And we wouldn't even need to script any of the drama.
Ahh. Nothing better than this for sunday. And yeah, this would be totally unscripted.  ;D . I could see the first episode, the "Pilot".

HGjunkie

We need a title theme. Anyone up to making an intro guitar-techno riff?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

coolkites

I know we all really just want to let this thread die (almost all of us) but I really feel like I want to clarify a couple of claims here because there is a lot of misunderstanding and misinterpretation going on here.

Quote from: anonymous former c/col on May 22, 2011, 04:18:44 PMWe ask every user to register on our site by reviewing and signing a sales agreement and providing a copy of their military or government ID.  This site is only for those who are active duty military, reserve, federal and local law enforcement, fire, EMS and those holding military retiree credentials.

Yes Oakley does say this on their page. But they also list nearly a dozen more agencies at the bottom of their page. Among them DHS, FBI, Fire, etc...  The point being that the list you point to is not the end all. I really feel like the intent of the CAP members here is being misinterpreted. Everyone who applied or who tried to apply was under the impression that we were allowed to. When I talked with their customer service on the phone I asked if SAR qualified and they told me yes. If they had said no then I would have said thank you and hung up. Nobody tried to mis-represent themselves. I actually corrected the lady on the phone who thought we were military. I told her that CAP is actually not a part of the military and that we are 100% civilian.

Quote from: anonymous former c/col on May 22, 2011, 04:18:44 PMCAP IS NOT  A GOVERNMENT AGENCY - THERE IS CASE LAW STATING IN FEDERAL COURT IT IS NOT.  IT IS NOT MILITARY.  You are misrepresenting yourselves.  As "Stonewall" put it, "just tell them you are Air Force Auxiliary." Do you think a civilian company knows what you're talking about?  That's called quibbling and that is lying.    They probably just heard "Air Force".

They actually did not know what they were talking about. But nobody lied and played on their confusion. As I said above I corrected the customer service agent (politely) and let her know that we are not part of the military and that we are indeed civilian.

Quote from: anonymous former c/col on May 22, 2011, 04:18:44 PM
Also, calling a company and acting as an agent for CAP is prohibited.  YOU are not in charge of CAP, and can't speak for CAP.

Nobody called them and acted as an "agent" for CAP.

Someone might say it's their responsibility to police their own policy.  The fact is you know you are not military, government, fire, police, EMS, etc.  It is on you.

Everyone understands that we are a civilian SAR group (among other missions). That is why clarification was needed. I can tell you with full honesty that I was told by Oakley (or one of their customer service agents) that SAR organizations do qualify for the program because they fall under general ES. If you think about it it really does make sense. CAP performs often dangerous mission in order to save lives. I am not going to claim to be on an equal playing field with SEALS or PJs or any of those groups, but I do honestly believe that CAP does play a very important role in the United States we now live in. I truly do admire those members who are willing to wake up at 0300 and go digging through a junk field in order to find and silence an ELT. They have earned a lot of respect from me. If somebody or some company (such as Oakley) wants to provide a discount for CAP members than I see no reason why they should feel bad about using that discount. If Oakley decides not to provide that discount or to stop providing it then that is their choice. If somebody here was told that CAP does not qualify and then they continued trying to get through by playing the Air Force card or something like that then I would feel like they were being malicious and dishonest, but the fact of the matter is that that did not happen.

All in all I think we need to realize that nobody here had malicious intent when trying to use the program. I would feel confident saying that nobody would have bothered even trying if they knew that we as an organization were not allowed. Frankly I'm getting a little bit tired and irritated with you anonymous former c/col because I feel like you are just out to attack members for their actions while taking zero responsibility for your own. I personally would appreciate it if you would stop. You already said once that you were done (see below) I can't quote because the mods locked the thread (thank goodness) but here is a copy and paste of what you said.

Re: OAKLEY GOVERNMENT SALES
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2011, 08:28:18 PM »   
Nope, I'm done.  Have fun.

Now I would appreciate it and respectfully request that you be a man of your word and be done. No need to reply. I'm going to go ahead and assume that everyone is well aware of what you think on this issue.

Now let's all just move on with our lives and let this thread die, unless of course you all want to start discussing the details of our new reality TV show.

anonymous former c/col

I've said what I felt needed to be said.  Some get it - some don't.

I can't post my name, where I am in the country, for reasons some of you will scoff at.  Go ahead, make fun of me.  I'm gonna lay it out.  Here it is PAO and NIN:

I had a CAP member stalker who terrorized me for years.

I am not a man.

Happy?  Laugh that one up.

AngelWings

Quote from: coolkites on May 22, 2011, 11:35:31 PM
I know we all really just want to let this thread die (almost all of us) but I really feel like I want to clarify a couple of claims here because there is a lot of misunderstanding and misinterpretation going on here.

We ask every user to register on our site by reviewing and signing a sales agreement and providing a copy of their military or government ID.  This site is only for those who are active duty military, reserve, federal and local law enforcement, fire, EMS and those holding military retiree credentials.

Yes Oakley does say this on their page. But they also list nearly a dozen more agencies at the bottom of their page. Among them DHS, FBI, Fire, etc...  The point being that the list you point to is not the end all. I really feel like the intent of the CAP members here is being misinterpreted. Everyone who applied or who tried to apply was under the impression that we were allowed to. When I talked with their customer service on the phone I asked if SAR qualified and they told me yes. If they had said no then I would have said thank you and hung up. Nobody tried to mis-represent themselves. I actually corrected the lady on the phone who thought we were military. I told her that CAP is actually not a part of the military and that we are 100% civilian.

CAP IS NOT  A GOVERNMENT AGENCY - THERE IS CASE LAW STATING IN FEDERAL COURT IT IS NOT.  IT IS NOT MILITARY.  You are misrepresenting yourselves.  As "Stonewall" put it, "just tell them you are Air Force Auxiliary." Do you think a civilian company knows what you're talking about?  That's called quibbling and that is lying.    They probably just heard "Air Force".

They actually did not know what they were talking about. But nobody lied and played on their confusion. As I said above I corrected the customer service agent (politely) and let her know that we are not part of the military and that we are indeed civilian.

Also, calling a company and acting as an agent for CAP is prohibited.  YOU are not in charge of CAP, and can't speak for CAP.

Nobody called them and acted as an "agent" for CAP.

Someone might say it's their responsibility to police their own policy.  The fact is you know you are not military, government, fire, police, EMS, etc.  It is on you.

Everyone understands that we are a civilian SAR group (among other missions). That is why clarification was needed. I can tell you with full honesty that I was told by Oakley (or one of their customer service agents) that SAR organizations do qualify for the program because they fall under general ES. If you think about it it really does make sense. CAP performs often dangerous mission in order to save lives. I am not going to claim to be on an equal playing field with SEALS or PJs or any of those groups, but I do honestly believe that CAP does play a very important role in the United States we now live in. I truly do admire those members who are willing to wake up at 0300 and go digging through a junk field in order to find and silence an ELT. They have earned a lot of respect from me. If somebody or some company (such as Oakley) wants to provide a discount for CAP members than I see no reason why they should feel bad about using that discount. If Oakley decides not to provide that discount or to stop providing it then that is their choice. If somebody here was told that CAP does not qualify and then they continued trying to get through by playing the Air Force card or something like that then I would feel like they were being malicious and dishonest, but the fact of the matter is that that did not happen.

All in all I think we need to realize that nobody here had malicious intent when trying to use the program. I would feel confident saying that nobody would have bothered even trying if they knew that we as an organization were not allowed. Frankly I'm getting a little bit tired and irritated with you anonymous former c/col because I feel like you are just out to attack members for their actions while taking zero responsibility for your own. I personally would appreciate it if you would stop. You already said once that you were done (see below) I can't quote because the mods locked the thread (thank goodness) but here is a copy and paste of what you said.

Re: OAKLEY GOVERNMENT SALES
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2011, 08:28:18 PM »   
Nope, I'm done.  Have fun.

Now I would appreciate it and respectfully request that you be a man of your word and be done. No need to reply. I'm going to go ahead and assume that everyone is well aware of what you think on this issue.

Now let's all just move on with our lives and let this thread die, unless of course you all want to start discussing the details of our new reality TV show.
And boom goes the dynamite. Had to get that in.

HGjunkie

Quote... unless of course you all want to start discussing the details of our new reality TV show.

We should split that off into an entirely different thread.

Also, inb4 modlock.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HGjunkie

Quote from: SarDragon on May 22, 2011, 11:44:41 PM
Reddenbacher, anyone"

it's not popcorn if it's not Oriville Reddenbacher!
••• retired
2d Lt USAF