Advancing In Mission Base Positions

Started by Capt_Redfox30, July 31, 2010, 04:28:45 AM

Capt_Redfox30

Hello All, I am looking to advance into some of the upper echelon positions in mission base.  The chief slots to be exact,  I am just having trouble deciding what the best position would be for me to complete so I would be in a good spot to advance onto other levels or positions.  I have spend my entire ES career on the ground and have been a GBD since 2005.  I am also trying to complete MS/MO but haven't had to many chances to complete those recently.  Any advice that any one could give would be helpful.  Thanks for the help. 

Here are my current specialty qualifications if that would help. 

GBD, GTL, *GTM2 (GTM 1/2 only need a couple more taskings to be re-certified), GTM3, UDF, MRO, MSO, SET, IS 100, IS 200, ICS 300, ICS 400, IS 700, IS 800 

Also, before any one says it I know that I need to get commander approvals before I begin on those positions and with the GTM 1/2 I need missions, I have those completed.  Thought I would jump on that before some of you more experienced posters get on me for some of the obvious questions!

Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

arajca

Logistics Section (CAP world)
MRO --> CUL --> LSC

Finance/Admin (CAP World)
GES --> FASC

JoeTomasone

CommGeek

Speaking of CUL, Joe when you get back you should go to the Federal COM-L Course.  I happen to know the instructor....   :)

Capt_Redfox30

Quote from: JoeTomasone on July 31, 2010, 04:39:54 AM
Have you considered CUL?

What would be the advantage of me completing CUL?  I know that I need to be a CUL to become a LSC, or was there some other reason that you meant for me to complete it?
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Capt_Redfox30 on July 31, 2010, 02:20:14 PM
Have you considered CUL?

What would be the advantage of me completing CUL?  I know that I need to be a CUL to become a LSC, or was there some other reason that you meant for me to complete it?

It's a good ES skill to have; you will be preparing the mission comms plan and supervise the radio shack; I was certified as a CUL but unfortunately let the specialty lapse. I'll probably recert for it when I go back to stateside next year.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

arajca

Quote from: Capt_Redfox30 on July 31, 2010, 02:20:14 PM
Have you considered CUL?

So, you're looking at PSC/OSC only, correct? If so, forget what I said.

Eclipse

CUL =

Get to mission base first, establish perfect comms area in a quiet, remote spot in view of the flight line, next to a 150' tower
with compliant, open antennas, and plenty of outlets.  Setup radios, desks, etc.

Discover that 2/3rd's of the equipment you were forced to use ("Don't bring your own we have plenty down here..."), has never
been unboxed, is not properly programmed, and some will need firmware upgrades before they can be used.    Dig in and
make some progress.

IC Arrives (45 minutes late after long breakfast).  You are immediately told to move everything to a small closet on the other side of the hangar because the IC wants to set up the food tables where you are and it would "just be easier for everyone this way".  Remind IC that this was approved in the Comm plan weeks earlier in writing by him, with a response of "We all just need to be flexible, and Shirley has spent a lot of time getting things ready for lunch..."

Move everything in a mess, lose your organizational focus, and start hearing questions about "Why are the radios so late getting going?"

Borrow mag mount antenna from your POV for the radios because the antenna leads don't reach to where you are now.
Destroy 3 hours of work installing it professionally in your truck as you pull the cable through the carpet and floor.
(spend 20 minutes re-terminating cable end that broke off as you pulled it out).

Repeatedly request that the LSC leave the extension cord plugged in for your radios (there's no outlets in the closet), at least until Shirley gets there.  Why does the crock pot have to be plugged in now when it isn't even turned on?  Tape down cords with bright orange duct tape. 

Retape them when the MSO moves them.

Spend rest of day complaining that the ground teams are using cell phones, the Mission Observers don't know how to change channels,  have tuned the CAP radio to ATC "just in case I have to take over" or changed the Becker to a local radio station for music.  Also, the few times the IC picks up a radio, he wants to be called "Actual", which is confusing everyone as to whether this is practice or a real mission.

Notice that the food tables are never used because Shirley decided not to cook after all and everyone just went to lunch at the FBO.
(Except for you, because no one mentioned they were leaving or considered you might need to eat.) 

Demob by yourself because the IC and base staff went to dinner without even telling you they left. 

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

First you need to decide what is your real goal/position.  Here are my thoughts if you want to start working toward IC.

1.  The only mission base position required for a mission is IC.  This means the IC, by default, can fill any position.   Most of the real missions I work have very few mission base personnel show up.  Plan your training so you develop the knowledge and skills needed to run a mission by yourself.

2.  While not very sexy, if you are running a mission, you need to keep track of the paperwork and money.  That means getting qualified as a FASC. 

3.  Most of the time, your radio room will be manned by MROs and MRO trainees.  Since you will have to write the comm plan, you need to get qualified as a CUL.

4.  Since you are a GBD, you absolutely have to get qualified as a MS in order to progress to PSC.  Better yet, get qualifed as a MO so you can become a AOBD.  This will make life much easier on you as a PSC and OSC.

5.  If you are going to be an IC, you need to understand working with the press.  Get qualified as a PIO.  Same for Safety so become a MSO.

Additional quals are good, but these should be the first ones you work to achieve.  Accomplishing prerequisites is a given.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

wuzafuzz

Eclipse,

That was the most accurate description of CUL I have ever seen! I would add a few things but that should be another thread.  :-X

Yet, for some reason I keep stepping up to be CUL. Call me goofy.  :o
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Capt_Redfox30

Quote from: Short Field on July 31, 2010, 07:35:06 PM
First you need to decide what is your real goal/position.  Here are my thoughts if you want to start working toward IC.

1.  The only mission base position required for a mission is IC.  This means the IC, by default, can fill any position.   Most of the real missions I work have very few mission base personnel show up.  Plan your training so you develop the knowledge and skills needed to run a mission by yourself.

2.  While not very sexy, if you are running a mission, you need to keep track of the paperwork and money.  That means getting qualified as a FASC. 

3.  Most of the time, your radio room will be manned by MROs and MRO trainees.  Since you will have to write the comm plan, you need to get qualified as a CUL.

4.  Since you are a GBD, you absolutely have to get qualified as a MS in order to progress to PSC.  Better yet, get qualifed as a MO so you can become a AOBD.  This will make life much easier on you as a PSC and OSC.

5.  If you are going to be an IC, you need to understand working with the press.  Get qualified as a PIO.  Same for Safety so become a MSO.

Additional quals are good, but these should be the first ones you work to achieve.  Accomplishing prerequisites is a given.

Short Field, this was the exact type of response I was looking for thanks.  Also you did raise a good question, what is my ultimate goal, I haven't really thought of that.   But this might be all for not since the REDCAP's are virtually nothing now and my Wing isn't having any monthly or quarterly trainings anymore.     
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt_Redfox30 on August 01, 2010, 07:54:22 PMShort Field, this was the exact type of response I was looking for thanks.  Also you did raise a good question, what is my ultimate goal, I haven't really thought of that.   But this might be all for not since the REDCAP's are virtually nothing now and my Wing isn't having any monthly or quarterly trainings anymore.   

Having our GTE last fall pretty much messed up the nice rotation we were on - we're going to be busy this Fall and especially in the Spring as we have an eval in 2011 and as you say have basically taken a year off.

Some of the major players have also left or will be gone by then so a new wave will be needed.

I would suggest looking to see where you can best fit in that scenario and training up to those needs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt_Redfox30

Quote from: Eclipse on August 02, 2010, 01:38:27 AM
Quote from: Capt_Redfox30 on August 01, 2010, 07:54:22 PMShort Field, this was the exact type of response I was looking for thanks.  Also you did raise a good question, what is my ultimate goal, I haven't really thought of that.   But this might be all for not since the REDCAP's are virtually nothing now and my Wing isn't having any monthly or quarterly trainings anymore.   

Having our GTE last fall pretty much messed up the nice rotation we were on - we're going to be busy this Fall and especially in the Spring as we have an eval in 2011 and as you say have basically taken a year off.

Some of the major players have also left or will be gone by then so a new wave will be needed.

I would suggest looking to see where you can best fit in that scenario and training up to those needs.

Are we going to be spreading them out over a few months or just cramming them into one month like we did last time?  Wasn't aware people had left, that's why I want to step up into more responsibilities, not get stuck as GBD, which is what always seems to happen. 
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Eclipse

No idea - its all TBD after the new fiscal year starts, though nothing says you can't start working with ICENINE now on whatever floats your boat.

Personally I really like GBD, and don't have much interest ascending any time soon.  AOBD looks like fund, but above the directors you tend to get more wind than sail.

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

Quote from: Eclipse on August 02, 2010, 03:42:51 AM
Personally I really like GBD, and don't have much interest ascending any time soon.  AOBD looks like fund, but above the directors you tend to get more wind than sail.
Personally I like to run a mission base with everyone except the MSAs and MROs qualified as a IC.   If all you see is "more wind than sail" above the directors, then your organization has a leadership problem.  If all your planning and coordination is taking place at the Branch Level with people only qualified at the Branch Level, then you really have a problem. 
Wilson #2640

Eclipse

Quote from: Short Field on August 02, 2010, 04:16:21 AM
Personally I like to run a mission base with everyone except the MSAs and MROs qualified as a IC.
BTDT, no thanks. A recipe for disaster as everyone thinks they know better and no one stays in their lane.

Branch level is still a doer, above that the leadership gets very indirect.  I can function in that situation, I just don't necessarily enjoy it as much as at the branch level.  OSC, sure, but I have no interest in planning, as they are never "now", they are always "next".

Mission bases don't need more generalists, they need qualified, experience personnel who know their jobs and are happy doing them.
Instead of constantly assuming everyone needs to be on an upward progression, we should be growing people in the jobs they like.  ES is not PD.  If you are good at it and enjoy it, stay where you are.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

I've been in four years now and active in ES for three. I just started training for GBD two weeks ago. I like to get very proficient before moving up.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Short Field

Quote from: Eclipse on August 02, 2010, 05:13:49 AM
Mission bases don't need more generalists, they need qualified, experience personnel who know their jobs and are happy doing them.
Instead of constantly assuming everyone needs to be on an upward progression, we should be growing people in the jobs they like.  ES is not PD.  If you are good at it and enjoy it, stay where you are.
I will not argue the need to create qualified, experienced personnel.  However, the more you know about all the jobs, the better you can perform whatever position you are currently in.  If you know what the others are doing, you can perform better as part of a team.  If everyone was qualified as a IC and not working together as a team, then the IC was failing in his job.  ES achievements just document what you have been trained to do - they don't make you something special just because of it.  If you can't follow, then you surely can't lead.

My issue has been with ICs who just like to play the big dog and don't pay any attention to what is going on at mission base - they just work at smoozing the higher ups.
Wilson #2640