Main Menu

Would you go to Haiti?

Started by Walkman, January 14, 2010, 02:12:05 AM

PA Guy

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on January 15, 2010, 04:51:59 AM
What Haiti needs is several USAR and DMAT teams.

There are currently 5 DMATs, 1 ImSurt and 2 DMORTs enroute.  There are also at least 4 USAR teams enroute.  Three more DMATs are on alert.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: PA Guy on January 15, 2010, 06:42:59 AM

There are currently 5 DMATs, 1 ImSurt and 2 DMORTs enroute.  There are also at least 4 USAR teams enroute.  Three more DMATs are on alert.

ImSurt - Never heard of them......Looks like a job for google.....

Edit - And Google says they are the International Medical Surgical Response Team.  A fully self sustaining OR team.

Spaceman3750

http://www.sj-r.com/carousel/x1672011063/Groups-organizing-for-Haiti-help

Here you go, find a local org that's doing this and offer your squadron's help. They are packing a container full of supplies and other relief stuff to go over.

CAP could never help load planes, ships, etc. We aren't qualified, and there are people in the armed forces whose jobs are to do exactly that.

dogboy

I'm a DMAT member. I'm leaving Tuesday if the flights are sorted out.

JayT

Quote from: dogboy on January 15, 2010, 09:02:31 PM
I'm a DMAT member. I'm leaving Tuesday if the flights are sorted out.

What qualification do you have? I sent an email to DMAT NY 02.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

PA Guy

^^^

I'm also a DMAT member.  My team has been put on alert but haven't heard anything yet.

When did you send you send your e-mail to NY-2?  Most applications take several months to process once the team accepts you.  The application is sent to HHS and then you are contacted for credentaling and background investigation.  The wheels at HHS turn slowly.

Gunner C

Good grief.  I just heard an estimate of 200,000+ dead.  Absolutely horrific.  I also saw that a hospital ship is leaving Baltimore Harbor today.  It has 250 beds.  That illustrates the gravity of the disaster vs. the available resources.  I'm afraid everything is going to be a drop in the bucket.  This is probably going to be the worst human disaster since the tsunamis of a few years ago.

Major Carrales

The idea is of CAP as a force multiplier where ever and when ever it operates in such matters.  We could not "spearhead" anything or operate autonomously, as we sometimes tend to do in our defined "domestic" setting. 

That limits, but does not exclude or preclude CAP resources from participation.  We could provide all the same aerial support we operate here in the US...including aerial photography, transportation of dignitaries, experienced air operations personal to augment or supplemental those already in operation (extra "eyes in the skies" and "base personnel" to relieve certain folks for other duties)

I would not support Ground Teams or COMM from CAP, those areas would be extremely dangerous, both from conditions and humanity (sadly, those in desperation, fear and the like...be they anyone, might present a danger we are ill prepared to face)  COMM in the US is already stretched.

Thus, I think it is possible (not probable) that CAP would serve in any capacity in such a situation.  And, if it was authorized, for example, CAP aircraft from the Southeast and Southwest Regions, to be attached to Haiti relief, they would fall under someone else's command.  Plus, how would those aircraft and crew get there and I'm sure there would be International Issues with everything from uniforms to aircraft usage protocols.   
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

dogboy

Quote from: PA Guy on January 15, 2010, 06:42:59 AM

By USAR do you mean FEMA US&R?

Pumbaa

You will need a gun to be in Haiti...  it is getting bad... going to get much much worse.  total governmental breakdown...

raivo

"Boots on the ground" is not a term I like. It implies that the more boots on the ground, the better, regardless of the role of the person filling said boots.

CAP is an excellent resource for ES and DR missions in a stable country. It is absolutely not (and should not be) equipped to handle operations in a foreign country where the rule of law has completely broken down, disease and violence are rampant, and there is no infrastructure to support CAP operations.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

BTCS1*

Plus the CISM nightmare that it would be, especialy if (hypotheticaly) cadets went there. From what I've seen on the news, it's outright disturbing seeing the image if all the bodies in the street.
And good luck down there dogboy!
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Leading_Edge

Would I go?: Yes

Likely hood: absolutely nothing at all..........

As a side note, i would much rather be with an organization that deals with these types of situations and might know more about the people and the area than CAP.......I highly doubt that any organization would allow any youth into the area with all of the death and destruction that has taken place in Haiti, no matter how much we would want to go.....Its hard for us in CAP to see this kind of destruction and human suffering on the news because we all feel that we can contribute our skills and expertise to help save others, unfortunately all we can give is our money, the rest is left up to our military and the volunteers already there..... 

wuzafuzz

There are some places in the U.S. I wouldn't send CAP ground teams or support personnel.  Haiti?  No way. 

If you aren't already a trained member of a USAR or relief organization you have no business going.   If your desire to help is borne out of compassion, find a worthy place to donate your money.

That said, there are many places in the U.S. that are susceptible to natural disasters.  Figure out what CAP can realistically offer and then get good at it.  Train well in advance and practice, practice, practice.  Want to do other things?  Join organizations that do those things.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

bosshawk

DOGBOY: I believe that the reference to USAR means United States Army Reserve.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

cap235629

Quote from: bosshawk on January 17, 2010, 05:48:17 PM
DOGBOY: I believe that the reference to USAR means United States Army Reserve.

Sorry no, it refers to Urban Search and Rescue
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

flyguy06

LOL. I workwith USAR and I thought it meant reserves too. It is a FEMA organization. MY CERFP unit worked with them last year.

Nathan

No. Not because I wouldn't want to if I thought I could help. But I am aware, despite my CAP training and even my regular medical training, that I am not qualified to be helpful enough to justify the money that would be spent to feed and shelter me. I would rather that money go to someone who is far more qualified to handle this type of situation.

It does not, however, stop people from helping in the form of a monetary donation to one of the reputable relief programs out there.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

DG

Quote from: Pumbaa on January 17, 2010, 12:48:39 AM
You will need a gun to be in Haiti...  it is getting bad... going to get much much worse.  total governmental breakdown...

How is it that you can have a "total governmental breakdown"?

Isn't that what happens in a coup or takeover?

But then you have a new government, even if it is military.

What is it about Haiti that you can have a "total governmental breakdown"?

Lazy?  Incompetent?  Irresponsible?

If we send aid, without fixing the problem, are we enabling this to happen again and again?

Where else in our part of the world is this happening?

Did nobody see this coming?

Al Sayre

Lots of people saw it coming, few have (had) the ability to do anything about it.  Foreign powers have had to step in numerous times to put the country back on its feet.  However as soon as the situation becomes tolerable for the populace, they ask the foreign powers to leave, and the same cycle starts again.  Corrupt and inexperienced politicians, massive debt and poverty, no viable exports, then some relatively small disaster that the country can't cope with due to the lack of infrastructure etc. and the foreign powers have to step in again... 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787