Main Menu

More brand confusion

Started by RiverAux, December 11, 2009, 09:50:22 PM

RiverAux

According to the photo and story on Volunteer Now, we may be starting to use the new triangle symbol on our vehicles and it is now being described as the "standard" logo....

In this case it is part of a special "wrap" for a wing vehicle, but apparently was designed by NHQ.

http://www.capvolunteernow.com/todays_features.cfm/cap_wrapped_up_in_partnership_with_vanguard?show=news&newsID=6485

Like the planes and the idea, but hate that logo.  I still don't understand why we're using this rather than the logo/symbol used with our uniforms.  Are we going to have this on the command patch now?  Isn't "branding" all about consistency? 

FW

The wrap is advertising and will only be on a few vehicles, for now, around the country.  I think it cost's about $3 grand per van.  I think Col Beason was incorrect in his assessment of the "standard logo" statement and, I don't think the wraps will be installed on every new van bought by CAP (about $30,000 per yearly purchase coming out of members' money). 

PhoenixRisen

I was never a fan of the new branding style, but it's not too bad (if used only on a few "recruiting" vehicles).  I definitely hope that's not what our operations vehicles turn into, though. 

arajca

If they're going to colorize vehicles, make them match the aircraft, except use reflective striping for the red and silver.

RiverAux

I didn't want to give the impression they were going to wrap every vehicle, but even if they wrap a few with this logo, but the rest are something else, isn't that even worse from a branding point of view?   It should be all or none. 

arajca

Instead that new abomination, they should have stuck with the shield. Wrapping a small number of vehicles is fine, as long as they carry common elements from the organization.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: FW on December 11, 2009, 10:04:08 PM
The wrap is advertising and will only be on a few vehicles, for now, around the country.  I think it cost's about $3 grand per van.  I think Col Beason was incorrect in his assessment of the "standard logo" statement and, I don't think the wraps will be installed on every new van bought by CAP (about $30,000 per yearly purchase coming out of members' money).
I guess with the implementation of the Wing Bankers program and unqualified audit, CAP must be expecting corporate donors to start lining up to give donations, that of cost could be put to very good use by repainting vehicles with logos/pictures such as this :-[
I think the Public Relations folks at National first need to come out with a comprehensive approved marketing plan, effectively communicated to the entire organization, so that's there's a very good understanding by the membershp of what this is all about.  So far at the squadron much isn't known, and that really where the recruiting and retention of the members occurs.   By far I would hope there's very signficant dollar limits placed on such a plan  >:( and is NOT implementation of pie in the sky ideas by public relations personnel out of touch about the realities of CAP's potential membership as well as donor base.

RM 

Pumbaa

We should sponsor a driver in NASCAR!!!  Maybe Danica Patrick! 

Spike

Quote from: FW on December 11, 2009, 10:04:08 PM

Putting it on a few vehicles is a waste of money.

FW

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 11, 2009, 11:18:22 PM
I think the Public Relations folks at National first need to come out with a comprehensive approved marketing plan, effectively communicated to the entire organization, so that's there's a very good understanding by the membershp of what this is all about.  So far at the squadron much isn't known, and that really where the recruiting and retention of the members occurs.   By far I would hope there's very signficant dollar limits placed on such a plan  >:( and is NOT implementation of pie in the sky ideas by public relations personnel out of touch about the realities of CAP's potential membership as well as donor base.

RM 

An excellent comment. :clap:

RiverAux

There is actually a national marketing plan though it really needs updating and fleshing out. 

O-Rex

I'm  not crazy about the new branding: CIVIL AIR PATROL, Incorporated......
:o

Cecil DP

Quote from: Pumbaa on December 11, 2009, 11:43:01 PM

We did, only lost $3,000,000 on it that HQ will admit to!
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Strick

[darn]atio memoriae

NCRblues

This may be just me but, I am not sure what this "wrapping" is going to accomplish. I know some will say it will help with recruiting, like the active and reserve recruiters vehicles. BUT we drive these vans (mainly) to cap functions and back, the members there are already recruited. Maybe the people on the highway that see it, maybe. The active and reserve recruiters drive their vehicles to schools and around just to get publicity, something cap just can't do. I just don't see a point to this. Take this money and place it somewhere else, which can be better suited to recruiting.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

wuzafuzz

The concept of wraps is fine, but I want to hurl every time I see that triangle logo. 

According to article Col Beason "...added that the wing now plans to wrap all new vans as they are acquired."  It's bad enough CAP branding is already fractured in 20 different directions, now each wing may want unique vehicle markings. 

Our branding program (if we even have one) resembles something assembled by ADD folks on an energy drink overdose while sitting in a chair administering random electric shocks.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

NC Hokie

Quote from: RiverAux on December 11, 2009, 11:11:45 PM
I didn't want to give the impression they were going to wrap every vehicle, but even if they wrap a few with this logo, but the rest are something else, isn't that even worse from a branding point of view?   It should be all or none.

According to the article, South Dakota Wing DOES plan to wrap all of it's new vans.  Are we at least getting some kind of fleet pricing on these?  I'd hate to think that CAP is paying sticker PLUS three grand each.

Quote from: O-Rex on December 12, 2009, 01:48:54 AM
I'm  not crazy about the new branding: CIVIL AIR PATROL, Incorporated......

I was going to dispute this until I realized that there's nothing on the van OR in the article that speaks of our relationship with the Air Force.  I DID notice that half of the article is free advertising for Vanguard, including a suggestion to buy more from Vanguard to help fund CAP training facility projects.

If that's what the Vanguard money is for, I think it's fair to ask how rolling a billboard benefits those projects.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

flyerthom

Quote from: Cecil DP on December 12, 2009, 01:49:47 AM
Quote from: Pumbaa on December 11, 2009, 11:43:01 PM

We did, only lost $3,000,000 on it that HQ will admit to!

Pumbaa. Let go of this man's ankle.  :D
TC

PA Guy

a2capt

The triangle blows. Period.

We have a really nice looking 'MajCom' logo, we had a round seal logo that itself was deeply related to our history.

Now we have this .. thing, that looks like a funky boomerang.

Yuck.