Main Menu

Like father, like son

Started by RiverAux, January 28, 2009, 02:27:36 PM

RiverAux

Seems that the Air Force might be experiencing the same sort of lack of military discipline and customs and courtesies that some people believe make CAP look foolish.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/01/airforce_backtalk_dorr_011609/

dwb

QuoteThose who don’t like the [proposed heritage] coat need to suck it up. The current service dress uniform doesn’t work, and the new coat is essential.

Ha!  :D

swamprat86

During our last encampment when we were sharing a common area with RM AF people we noticed this.  We even saw a drunken fight between an AF officer and EM.  They are starting to act more like a corporation.

Stonewall

In some cases, I believe CAP to be more military than the Air Force.  Why?  Because we often strive to teach young people about military discipline, the military way of life and simple things that are taught only once in Basic Military Training and then forgotten; whereas we continue this for years as a cadet progresses through the cadet program.

The AF is weak in my opinion.  Perhaps "soft" is a better term.  I could write for days about my experiences in the Air Force (specifically the Air National Guard) that cover now 4 years.  Don't be fooled by me being in the ANG, I have been on active orders to schools and in support of active units for several months at a time, and the active component seems no different in its incompetence than that of the Guard.

As I stated in a post recently in another thread, "don't worry about push-ups on the AF PT test because you can do whatever form of push-up you want".  I saw an airman keep his body virtually still as his head bounced up and down and each push-up was counted (about 60 in 1 minute).  And don't think that's only in the Guard.  In 2005 at SERE school several airmen showed up without a current PT test in hand so they administered one there.  I witnessed the test and saw the same lackidazical standard there too, and that's active duty AETC (Air Edcuation Training Command) where standards should be by the book.

Last year at Combat Arms school (3 months at Lackland AFB) I was one of 4 "seminar leader"; meaning I was in charge of about 16 fellow students.  One of the things I was in charge of was PT three times a week.  Well, 2 times, since Friday was "football Friday".  An active duty staff sergeant REFUSED to run more than 1 1/2 miles because "I am only required to run 1.5 miles and I will run no more than 1.5 miles".  I chewed her a$$ one-on-one, and then again with the whole group when she failed to perform a second, third, fourth....time.  No one in the chain of command did a thing.  No one cared.  I was actually told that "we try to avoid conflict with females due to potential harassment issues".  

"Warrior Airmen"?  "Combat Airmen"?  Whatever!  The AF attempts to act like the other branches to feel a part of the "warrior machine" made up primarily of the Army and Marines.  Truth is, the AF doesn't know what being a warrior is about.  Sure, there are a few AFSCs in AFSOC and some TACPs, but 90%, if not more, airman have zero interest in shooting let alone being acting warrior like.

Here is an example by comparison:

I was in an Army Guard Infantry company
Approximately 120 men serving one weekend a month.  1 full-time E-7 and 1 full-time E-6 managed the entire company.  We trained and went to the field 9 out of 12 drill weekends a year, usually for 3-day drills.  This included logistical planning for transportation, billeting, training areas, chow, ammunition, air support and all the small things like water, pencils, and smoke grenades.

I am in an Air National Guard Security Forces Squadron
Approximately 70+ airmen serving one weekend a month.  1 full-time E-9; 1 full-time E-8; 1 full-time E-7; 2 full-time E-6s, 1 full-time E-5 and a full-time civilian GS-11.  This does not include the several full-time NCOs and contract security officers providing 24 hour security of the base.  I do not know what I'm doing from one drill to the next.  In fact, unless I call or email someone, I won't know what I'm doing the Friday night before drill on Saturday.  90% of the squadron sits around doing CBTs (computer based training), going to medical, staying out of site (out of mind), and getting yelled at to "stay busy".

I could go on and on.  I actually have pages of a "journal" written that I use to vent my frustrations.  Unfortunately I am stuck in the Air Guard or I would transfer over.  I'm sort of broken but can maintain the standards enough to do my job in the Air Guard as a combat arms instructor.  I fear that I wouldn't make it through a full-blown physical to get into the Army Guard, which I have looked into and already gotten approval for pending a physical.  With back surgery and a bad shoulder and ankle, I don't want to risk things when I can finish my 20 years in 6 years, even though I want to do 30.

Okay, that was a bit of a vent.  Thanks RiverAux for bringing that up.  I think I'll go read my Airman magazine now.  :angel:
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

This will just about cover the flybys the Air Force and its need to act more militarily...

Warrior!  Hooah!
Serving since 1987.

swamprat86

MIKE

Mike Johnston

AlphaSigOU

Well said, Kirt!  :clap:

Being a former cadink myself, I pride myself in wearing the uniform correctly, especially in situations where we interact with non-members. I pop off a crisp salute and don't forget to say 'sir' or 'ma'am' to my superiors, and expect those holding lesser grade to do the same to me. There is a time for informality, but not where you can affect an impression around you.

Take a good look at yourselves... you're everyone's first impression of Civil Air Patrol!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

NIN

In 1986, I arrived at the last couple days of the MI Wing Encampment fresh from AIT, enroute to my first duty station in Korea.  On Saturday morning, I showed up to graduation in my Class As, darn proud of my mosquito wings and my aircrew badge. 

Our wing LO, a sawed off Lt Col named Norm Golden, spied me from the other side of the reviewing stand an he made his way over to me.

I saluted and he returned it, clearly pleased to have gotten a salute.   He shook my hand and said "Ninness, what's with the funny colored uniform? Why no Air Force blue?"  (Colonel Golden had been a Marine C-130 pilot before he moved over to the AF)

"I don't know, sir, I guess I just didn't find what I was looking for from the Air Force, so I picked the Army.  You know, duty, honor, discipline, that kind of thing?"

"Oh, I know what you mean," he said. "Over here in the Air Force, its like one big gigantic club: 'Hey, Tom! How's it going, Ted?  What's up, Bill?'  "

We shared a laugh on that one, but I took his meaning: the AF is like a bunch of dudes who happen to all wear the same clothes.   Usually.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Strick

In the article, I liked how they mentioned that the AF needs a more military  type uniform.  The AF needs to hire some Marines to get them squared away! 
[darn]atio memoriae

swamprat86

As their auxiliary, I think we could find some members that would volunteer their time to help with this.  ;)

lordmonar

In my 22 years in the USAF I have seen this same sort of article time and time again.

I don't want to sound apathetic...but there was a reason I joined the AF and not the Army, Marines or Navy.

One of those reasons is the more relaxed attitude.

If that is not your cup of tea...then follow Nin's example and join a service that is more to your liking.

I have always kept C&C and D&C as an important part of my leadership package and did my best to enforce those standards when ever I saw lapse in my subordinates, peers and superiors (a time or two).

Granted there are lots of examples of people and units that just don't get it, but I think they are the exception and not the rule.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Stonewall

This was written by an Active Duty SMSgt about a week ago.  I don't agree or disagree with the attitude, and I'm not "flaming" this individual as I sort of know him and like what he does...  Was that vague enough?  Either way, I think it about sums up how airmen see themselves as a whole.

This was written in response to someone who complained that AF BMT was too harsh (from about a month ago)...
My name is SMSgt [Redacted] and I am not a Warrior.

For me to be a Warrior, the AF would need to train me to be a Warrior. The AF has not done this, nor will the AF ever do this for me and about 98% of the rest of my comrades. I have not shot the M-16 since 1994 and I have not shot the M-9 since 2001. How can I be labeled a Warrior if I haven't even been allowed to keep current on the basic weapons of the Warrior. Sure, I could pick up an M-16 and sight the thing in and use it somewhat effectively, but I would not have the skill to be labeled Warrior. I have no skill or knowledge on military tactics. I would probably get a squad of people killed if I tried to lead them in a firefight. The AF solution to this problem is to send me to a 2-week course if they ever deployed me, which is not likely since I'm in a Headquarters unit.

What am I? I am an Airman, I have been for 26+ years and I will be one till the day I die. The AF has trained me to maintain radio equipment, groom young Airmen into quality radio mechanics, manage communications systems, manage programs, and staff packages through the quagmire we call the Air Staff. These are my mad skills. I do not need to be labeled as a Warrior to feel that I am important to the AF mission. I know where I fit into the mission and I know the mission would fail without the contribution of Comm.

[Redacted] is correct, our AF wants to label us as "Warriors" but then does nothing to make this anything but a Paper Lion. Soldiers and Marines are all trained in basic combat skills regardless for their respective "jobs". If need be, they can drop what they are doing grab their weapon and be out on the line. As Airmen we do not receive combat skills or any other training that really binds us as "Airmen". The Army and Marines receive combat training, we get the Airmen's Creed and our SERE training via a computer.

That being said, I don't think this is a bad thing, primarily because the vast majority of us are in the support role in the AF. We are not intended to be "Combat Ready", we need to be "Combat Support" ready. The pilots and a handful of the enlisted force are Warriors, most of us are not, nor should we be Warriors. It is not our mission.

On the BMT thing, my TI would get about 1" from your face and spout off a string of "[redacted] you and your mom" for about 5 minutes. He didn't give a [poo-poo] about your feelings or if you were having a bad day. He came to the dorm one night [drunk] in his mess dress and walked up and down the isle asking if there was anyone man enough to get up and fight him, no one did. Up until the last day of BMT he was the biggest [butt head] I had ever met in my life. To this day I have great respect for him. My TI could have probably punched me in the face and I would have too scared to report him. TIs aren't supposed to be nice, they are supposed to be an [butt head]. That is what the AF pays them to do.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: lordmonar on January 28, 2009, 07:53:57 PM
In my 22 years in the USAF I have seen this same sort of article time and time again.

I don't want to sound apathetic...but there was a reason I joined the AF and not the Army, Marines or Navy.

One of those reasons is the more relaxed attitude.

You know MSgt Mr. Harris, I agree with your reasoning to join the AF for those very reasons.  When I left the active Army to pursue my education and cool jobs in the private sector, I felt a huge void in my life so I joined the Army Guard.  It worked; one weekend a month.  Even deployed.  Then when I left the Army Guard so I could do more cool things as a civilian; travelling the world and carrying a gun, I felt that void again.  I chose to join the Air Guard because they were more flexible with missing drill weekends and such (no so much anymore).  I missed 4 drills in a row because I was out of the country with my civilian job and no one much cared.

So in a way, I appreciate a part of the relaxed attitude.  The problem is, I think it is out of control.  I have heard "this is the Air Force, we don't do all that military stuff like PT, work long hours or sleep on cots" more times than I can remember.  As if being in the Air Force is an excuse not to maintain military decorum.  I am not asking, nor do I expect, for your average comms troop "warrior airman" to be able to score expert with their M-16 or know how to patrol in a wedge formation; but I do expect them to show up on time, be in shape and not complain because they didn't get off at 15:30 to go to class that the Air Force is paying for.  It's a shotty attitude at best that most airman have as far as being in the military is concerned.

I think the Coast Guard has it right.  They have some hairy jobs to do, but by and large the USCG is a very relaxed branch of the military, but they don't go around shouting "we are too warriors" and various versions of fake "hooahs".  Instead, they accept their status for what it is, which is absolutely admirable.  Not a dig on the USCG, I am sometimes jealous of your status.  It's the real deal.
Serving since 1987.

NIN

Quote from: Stonewall on January 28, 2009, 07:57:58 PM
This was written by an Active Duty SMSgt about a week ago.  I don't agree or disagree with the attitude, and I'm not "flaming" this individual as I sort of know him and like what he does...  Was that vague enough?  Either way, I think it about sums up how airmen see themselves as a whole.

This was written in response to someone who complained that AF BMT was too harsh (from about a month ago)...
<snippage>
On the BMT thing, my TI would get about 1" from your face and spout off a string of "[redacted] you and your mom" for about 5 minutes. He didn't give a [poo-poo] about your feelings or if you were having a bad day. He came to the dorm one night [drunk] in his mess dress and walked up and down the isle asking if there was anyone man enough to get up and fight him, no one did. Up until the last day of BMT he was the biggest [butt head] I had ever met in my life. To this day I have great respect for him. My TI could have probably punched me in the face and I would have too scared to report him. TIs aren't supposed to be nice, they are supposed to be an [butt head]. That is what the AF pays them to do.

Uhhhhh, thats defective leadership no matter what service you're in.  Hooah or Air'p.  Doesn't matter. You don't do that crap to your troops and expect respect.   And a BMT TI, no less.  If that's what they allow the NCO "leadership" in the Air Force to get away with in front of BMT trainees, well, no wonder the AF is full of no-load [word the filter did not catch] who forget they're a member of the armed forces of the United States. You can keep it.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JohnKachenmeister

You are right.  Some of these statements sound familiar.  Too bad the Air Force cannot fall back on the "We are only unpaid employees of a corporation" statement to back up the non-warrior attitude.

The fact is that the Air Force airmen, regardless of their jobs, ARE warriors.  Their heritage goes back to those officer and enlisted airmen who served as a team in two world wars, and countless other conflicts when some Communist, tinhorn dictator, or terrorist thug thought it would be a great idea to fight the United States.

I agree that air warfare is highly technical, and we have a very long tooth-to-tail ratio.  For one officer to deliver ordnance on a target, the efforts of hundreds are required.  But does that mean that if you are one of those hundreds that you are less of a warrior than the soldier who drove his truck all night just to deliver fuel to an armored unit?  Other branches might have more people involved in launching bullets, and fewer involved in support,  but everybody's efforts are needed to kill people and break things in the name of the United States.

Now, I really hate to say this next part, but it is a fact.  The skill that Airmen bring to the battle is, frankly, too important, too expensive, too difficult to replace to risk losing them in ground combat.  That's why Security Forces and sometimes an entire Army battalion are employed to protect the Airmen.  The ability of the Air Force to use these Airmen to put a plane and an officer over a target is the most important thing.  More important than shooting a few sappers outside the fence.
Another former CAP officer

Stonewall

Quote from: NIN on January 28, 2009, 08:48:29 PMUhhhhh, thats defective leadership no matter what service you're in.  Hooah or Air'p.  Doesn't matter. You don't do that crap to your troops and expect respect.   And a BMT TI, no less.  If that's what they allow the NCO "leadership" in the Air Force to get away with in front of BMT trainees, well, no wonder the AF is full of no-load [word the filter did not catch] who forget they're a member of the armed forces of the United States. You can keep it.

This is what keeps the AF from actually being on par with the Army and Marines as far as being a force of warriors.  In a way, it resembles the wanna-be hard corps cadet NCOs and Officers in CAP after movies like Full Metal Jacket.  Cadets think that's what really happens so they act that way.  Same in the Air Force.  There are grown adults in the Air Force that actually mimic Gunny Hartman; thinking that is exactly the way  the Marine Corps conducts business.

When I went to my wife's BMT graduation in 2003, I was surprised to see very young MTLs (isn't that what the AF calls Drill Sergeants?); some not even E-5s.  I watched and observed the demeanor of the MTLs and the reactions of the recruits.  Something was missing.  It was like respect hadn't been earned.  Like the MTLs were just there showing off like many senior members do around young impressionable cadets in CAP.  Hard to put my finger on it, but at least I know what I mean  :P
Serving since 1987.

JoeTomasone

RiverAux

QuoteThey have some hairy jobs to do, but by and large the USCG is a very relaxed branch of the military, but they don't go around shouting "we are too warriors"
Didn't you get the memo?  They and the CG Aux are "GUARDIANS" now. 
QuoteI am America's Maritime Guardian.
I serve the citizens of the United States.
I will protect them.
I will defend them.
I will save them.
I am their Shield.
For them I am Semper Paratus.
I live the Coast Guard Core Values.
I am a Guardian.
We are the United States Coast Guard.
(bold added by me).

AlphaSigOU

The drill instructors are MTIs - Military Training Instructors - or TIs for short. They wear the blue Smokey bear or bush hat.

Tech school 'babysitters'  ;D  used to be called STAs - Student Training Advisors - and wear the infantry blue deodorant string. They're now known as MTLs - Military Training Leaders. At the Air Force Academy they are known as AMTs - Academy Mlitary Trainers.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Stonewall

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 28, 2009, 11:31:21 PM
The drill instructors are MTIs - Military Training Instructors - or TIs for short. They wear the blue Smokey bear or bush hat.

Tech school 'babysitters'  ;D  used to be called STAs - Student Training Advisors - and wear the infantry blue deodorant string. They're now known as MTLs - Military Training Leaders. At the Air Force Academy they are known as AMTs - Academy Mlitary Trainers.

Heh, I didn't go to AF BMT.  When I was at Tech School all the pipeliners referred to someone, I think MTLs, as "blue ropes".
Serving since 1987.

Short Field

The unknown SMSgt's TI definitely had a problem.  I don't know any BMTS commander that would tolerate a TI that goes to a Mess Dress function, gets drunk, and then comes back to challenge the recruits to fight him.   That is just a drunk - and the USAF doesn't use drunks to train people. 

If you get out of the Guard and Reserve units and away from the flying units, you see a lot more military discipline.   I know that in my 28 years, I was NEVER called by just my first or last name by anyone, officer or enlisted, who was junior to me.  I also never had a SNCO who would tolerate that in a unit.   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

flyguy06

What a lot of people donjt understand is there is a "training" environment and there is a "normal" environment.

In a training environment, you get up at the crack of sdwan, run outside andget into formation and do PT. You salute everytin,e a senior officer comes by. You snap to attention when a senior person comes into the room or the chow hall.

That works in CAP to, because for the most part cadets are in a "trainee" status they are learningto be leaders.
But in a normal duty workplace you wont see that. I dont want my soldiers snapping to attention everytime I walk in and outof thework area. They would be doing that all day and that isnt productive.

To many people in CAP wathc the old basic training movies and think thais everyday military life and it isnt. That is training. There is a reaosn for it, but once a service member gets to his or her duty staion it isnt like that.

I had a civilain ask me how did I live inthe barracks and for 18 years of military service. I told him, I lived in a house like he does. he had a stunnned look on his face :-)

ol'fido

The AF is going too corporate. In fact, it is the world's largest not-for-profit corporation.

What's the difference between the AF and Microsoft.

Beeeeeeep.

Microsoft doesn't have nuclear weapons. That we know of? :D :D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

RADIOMAN015

The way I see it there's too many "wanna bees" (military types) in Civil Air Patrol.  Personally, I've got to wonder even why ANYONE in the active/reserve/guard (including civilian technicians) military are even associated with CAP.  Frankly during my 20 years of active military service, I persued hobbies & other family interests during my off duty time -- CAP wasn't even on the radar screen! 

Remember we are CIVIL Air Patrol.  Treat everyone (with respect) the way you want to be treated should be the golden rule.  Also remember that in non pay volunteer groups, there's going to be a much different leadership & management approach/style than with someone in a paid organization.  Don't let your CAP rank go to your head!

CAP is more civilian than military, so frankly the analogy in prior posts IMHO are not applicable!
RM

Major Carrales

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on January 31, 2009, 07:52:03 PM
The way I see it there's too many "wanna bees" (military types) in Civil Air Patrol.  Personally, I've got to wonder even why ANYONE in the active/reserve/guard (including civilian technicians) military are even associated with CAP.  Frankly during my 20 years of active military service, I persued hobbies & other family interests during my off duty time -- CAP wasn't even on the radar screen! 

I'm sort of take aback by the "wanna bee" comment. 

I agree that there are some that take it a bit too far.  I, for one, have always looked a CAP service for what is it.  I have never tried to make it into "USAF light" or "G.I. Joe," CAP is my service.  I do it because I believe in CAP, that we a a unique form of service to our community. 

I am sure that is the same for everyone else here, unless it is the goal of that person to turn CAP into the UN PAID AIR FORCE that even the USAF is not. 

I wear the uniform properly because that is the way it is to be done in the Civil Air Patrol.  In the same manner that a police officer or Fireman would.  For the same reasons I dress professionaly at my workplace.

I respect the influence of the USAF and other services, however, if those concepts are out of the realm of CAP's objective, I might give them a look or two but I have my litany of "questions" I ask about their actual value for CAP.  If the answer is no, I do not lend my support to it.

The "Military" elements in place benefit our cadets.  Cadet encampments should run like the a real military encampment to some degree so that Cadet interested in military life can see what such training entails.  Some that dislike it make best make the choise against the training before enlisting in the Service.

If cadets participate in ES, just as the Seniors, they should maintain certain physical fitness and professional discipline comiserate to their CAP service.  Does this mean being trained by "Sgt Slaughter," dressing like "John RAMBO" or wearing boonie hats and enough gear to storm Granada again?  Likely not.  But it does require that one take CAP seriously enough to have the needed gear, skill sets and professionalism.

QuoteRemember we are CIVIL Air Patrol.  Treat everyone (with respect) the way you want to be treated should be the golden rule.  Also remember that in non pay volunteer groups, there's going to be a much different leadership & management approach/style than with someone in a paid organization.  Don't let your CAP rank go to your head!

Well said.

QuoteCAP is more civilian than military, so frankly the analogy in prior posts IMHO are not applicable!

Finding the balance is the key.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

QuoteThe way I see it there's too many "wanna bees" (military types) in Civil Air Patrol.  Personally, I've got to wonder even why ANYONE in the active/reserve/guard (including civilian technicians) military are even associated with CAP. 

QuoteTreat everyone (with respect) the way you want to be treated should be the golden rule. 
Might want to follow your own recommendation since you basically just insulted everyone in CAP by saying that you wonder why any military types "associate" with us. 

capchiro

Perhaps the term "warrior" is a misnomer.  In this day and age, almost all wars will be won from the air.  Anytime we get on the ground and start dragging our butts around, we are in a no-win situation.  Ground forces are used to sustain the area after it has been taken.  We don't have the military depth to fight or win a sustained ground war and it is not our intention.  Yes, it takes someone rugged to go one to one with a [[terrorist]] or someone else, but one to one is not the way to win out and out war.  If we want truly to win we will utilize the Air Force and Naval Aviation to annihilate our opponents.  If we want to drag it out and give their populace the time to change regimes, we will send in ground forces and waste American lives diplomatically.  The art of war is to win and let the other son of a [[censored]] die for his country.  Air power makes this possible, surgical and quick.   Also, I am not downplaying the role of Army Aviation as I were one, but, for the mostest and the fastest, the bigger the bang the better.  Today and tomorrows wars will be won by technicians and perhaps they are the true "warriors".  As usual, JMHO 

Edited by Admin --MK
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: RiverAux on January 31, 2009, 08:48:21 PM
QuoteThe way I see it there's too many "wanna bees" (military types) in Civil Air Patrol.  Personally, I've got to wonder even why ANYONE in the active/reserve/guard (including civilian technicians) military are even associated with CAP. 

QuoteTreat everyone (with respect) the way you want to be treated should be the golden rule. 
Might want to follow your own recommendation since you basically just insulted everyone in CAP by saying that you wonder why any military types "associate" with us. 

Well a bit more on an explanation -- actually, I know folks who were associated with the military who let their membership lapse.  The specific reason given was CAP was too much like their military duties and they needed to do "something" different on their time off duty.   Since I'm "retired" military I do something different on my day civilian job so that what I do in CAP is different for me (and I've specifically avoided any duties/ functions that would be similiar to my day time job)!   Again though, I just don't understand what the off duty "counter balance" is for the active/reserve/guard person who's also an active CAP member???!!!! (and perhaps those in that specific category would care to comment WHY they chose CAP in lieu of other organizations).    

Retrospectively, I was TOO STRONG in my comments about the "wanna bees" so to speak -- so an APOLOGY, because I know some members that can't meet the miltary physical (medical issues) standards who are terrific, dedicated CAP members, who wear the AF style uniform with pride & compliance.  HOWEVER, we do have to watchful with senior members around cadets, that get too "military basic TI" so to speak.  
RM        

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on January 31, 2009, 09:22:12 PM
Well a bit more on an explanation -- actually, I know folks who were associated with the military who let their membership lapse.  The specific reason given was CAP was too much like their military duties and they needed to do "something" different on their time off duty.

This has been identified as one of the key reasons why it can be more difficult than one might magine to recruit for units
on military bases - your core demographic spend their whole day in a uniform and is not interested in more of the same after work. 

Again though, I just don't understand what the off duty "counter balance" is for the active/reserve/guard person who's also an active CAP member???!!!! (and perhaps those in that specific category would care to comment WHY they chose CAP in lieu of other organizations).

For someone who's military life is a desk bound situation, far from anything resembling the fight, CAP might actually offer more fun and adventure than their daytime service.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Retrospectively, I was TOO STRONG in my comments about the "wanna bees" so to speak -- so an APOLOGY

Kudos, my friend, it is truly a man of character that can take ownership of the misspoken word (this case written) as well as the grealy spoken ones.  Apology is a condition much lacking in the forums these days.  Here is to civility!!!

Sparky

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Speaking for myself, who is on AD Army btw, I find CAP duty to be a repreive from my day job.  It's the big thing that keeps me sane.  Right now I could take or leave the Army when my four are up.  I can NOT say that about CAP.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on January 31, 2009, 09:22:12 PMHOWEVER, we do have to watchful with senior members around cadets, that get too "military basic TI" so to speak.  

You know, one time I had a mother/member whose son was a cadet.  One of those "CAP Moms" as I call them.  She never ever met me while I was in another squadron a few miles down the road, and sent me an email stating I was running a "Marine Corps style boot camp of a squadron" and that I didn't know the meaning of CAP.  I'm guessing her idea was to coddle young "kids" instead of building them into leaders of tomorrow.

Once again, at this point she had never witnessed "my program".

After I transfer ed to the squadron and took over as commander of where she and her son were members, she then praised me for my ability to lead a squadron.  Both squadrons earned "squadron of the year" type awards, cadet and Seniors of the year, safety officer and MLO of the year.  But somehow, my leadership style was construed by others as "too militaristic", "too hard corps" and I was a wanna-be of sorts.  The truth was, I ran my squadrons exactly how I saw other very successful squadron commanders run theirs, to include from when I was a cadet.  My military background as an Army Infantryman, both active and in the Army Guard, probably played very little role in my CAP "career" other than having real military experience

I was in CAP before I was in the military and I remained in CAP after joining the military.  Like many cadets, I had no intentions of joining CAP as a senior, but got hooked into it after meeting some very "high speed" seniors who later went on to be mentors.  These seniors had years of CAP and military experience.  Men who had served in all varieties of career fields from Special Forces to Intelligence.  Almost every squadron commander I had in DCWG was an active duty military officer, Army and Air Force.  Many of the members were also active or reserve military members.  And those who weren't were retired or veterans, many of whom were working in the intelligence field.

To be in CAP and the military is a huge balancing act.  Not so much for my time in the Guard because it's only one weekend a month.  I enjoy working with young people and playing a role in the lives of cadets who seek a future of service before self whether it be in the military or elsewhere.  Just so happens that a majority of my past cadets have gone on to serve in the military.  Not all, but most.  I think my military experience helped me in CAP while working with cadets to give a real life military aspect to the program, not one from a book.

I too am a senior member who wears gray pants and the blue polo on occasion.  I too have a full-time civilian job, but I serve in the Air Guard too.  My job in the Air Guard bears little resemblance to that of my work in CAP.  In many ways, as I've said before, CAP (mostly the cadet program) can be more "military" than the real military.
Serving since 1987.

Short Field

Quote from: capchiro on January 31, 2009, 09:21:01 PM
In this day and age, almost all wars will be won from the air. 

The man standing on the ground is the one who owns it.  We had Air Supremacy in South Vietnam and currently have it in Iraq and Afganistan.    Air Power can set the stage for victory - but it takes a grunt to own the ground. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Stonewall

Quote from: Short Field on January 31, 2009, 11:29:20 PM

The man standing on the ground is the one who owns it.  We had Air Supremacy in South Vietnam and currently have it in Iraq and Afganistan.    Air Power can set the stage for victory - but it takes a grunt to own the ground. 

Thank you.  I was getting to this after I gave my kids a bath.
Serving since 1987.

Major Carrales

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 31, 2009, 10:08:02 PM
Speaking for myself, who is on AD Army btw, I find CAP duty to be a reprieve from my day job.  It's the big thing that keeps me sane.  Right now I could take or leave the Army when my four are up.  I can NOT say that about CAP.

Wow...that means that CAP is "working" where you are.  Once it become more of a burden than looked forward to, then something need to be analyzed, synthsized and evaluated.

Service to one's community must always be, dare I say the words, "fun" and to a degree "awesome."  If not it is closer to community servitude than community service.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

cap235629

Quote from: Stonewall on January 31, 2009, 11:31:26 PM
Quote from: Short Field on January 31, 2009, 11:29:20 PM

Thank you.  I was getting to this after I gave my kids a bath.

I was going to jump all over that one as well but decided to keep it civil.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

SarDragon

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on January 31, 2009, 07:52:03 PM

Remember we are CIVIL Air Patrol.  Treat everyone (with respect) the way you want to be treated should be the golden rule.  Also remember that in non pay volunteer groups, there's going to be a much different leadership & management approach/style than with someone in a paid organization.  Don't let your CAP rank go to your head!

CAP is more civilian than military, so frankly the analogy in prior posts IMHO are not applicable!
RM

YGBSM! What a narrow-minded view.

I was in CAP before I joined the Navy, and continued my membership through much of my 21 year time on active duty. I considered it an honor and privilege to give something back to the organization that gave me a "heads up" on my military career, and I maintain that attitude today.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JoeTomasone

"To Each His Own".   No?

My reasons for being in CAP are probably different than most people's.   Likewise for my break in membership and my time in Patron status.   Current/Ex-Military or not, everyone has different likes, dislikes, priorities, and beliefs.   Why is this so hard to understand?

Major Carrales

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 01, 2009, 05:59:34 PM
"To Each His Own".   No?

My reasons for being in CAP are probably different than most people's.   Likewise for my break in membership and my time in Patron status.   Current/Ex-Military or not, everyone has different likes, dislikes, priorities, and beliefs.   Why is this so hard to understand?

It is the missions that take precedence over the reasons for joining.

QuoteWhy is this so hard to understand?

If I had to venture an opinion I would say it was likely that people are blinded by their own choices and motivations to value anyone else's.  A strange situation where "if you are not with my reason, you must be against my reasons.

As for Radioman015, he has already fessed up to having misspoke.  We should respect that and let it rest.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JayT

Perhaps the term "warrior" is a misnomer.  In this day and age, almost all wars will be won from the air.  Anytime we get on the ground and start dragging our butts around, we are in a no-win situation.  Ground forces are used to sustain the area after it has been taken.  We don't have the military depth to fight or win a sustained ground war and it is not our intention.  Yes, it takes someone rugged to go one to one with a raghead or someone else, but one to one is not the way to win out and out war.  If we want truly to win we will utilize the Air Force and Naval Aviation to annihilate our opponents.  If we want to drag it out and give their populace the time to change regimes, we will send in ground forces and waste American lives diplomatically.  The art of war is to win and let the other son of a bit-h die for his country.  Air power makes this possible, surgical and quick.   Also, I am not downplaying the role of Army Aviation as I were one, but, for the mostest and the fastest, the bigger the bang the better.  Today and tomorrows wars will be won by technicians and perhaps they are the true "warriors".  As usual, JMHO 

If I may ask, how did you come to that concusions?

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Gunner C

Quote from: JThemann on February 02, 2009, 03:10:16 AM
Perhaps the term "warrior" is a misnomer.  In this day and age, almost all wars will be won from the air.  Anytime we get on the ground and start dragging our butts around, we are in a no-win situation.  Ground forces are used to sustain the area after it has been taken.  We don't have the military depth to fight or win a sustained ground war and it is not our intention.  Yes, it takes someone rugged to go one to one with a raghead or someone else, but one to one is not the way to win out and out war.  If we want truly to win we will utilize the Air Force and Naval Aviation to annihilate our opponents.  If we want to drag it out and give their populace the time to change regimes, we will send in ground forces and waste American lives diplomatically.  The art of war is to win and let the other son of a bit-h die for his country.  Air power makes this possible, surgical and quick.   Also, I am not downplaying the role of Army Aviation as I were one, but, for the mostest and the fastest, the bigger the bang the better.  Today and tomorrows wars will be won by technicians and perhaps they are the true "warriors".  As usual, JMHO 

If I may ask, how did you come to that concusions?

Man, I did all that crap for 20 years and all they had to do was send a few F-4s, A-10s, B-52s, F-15s, F-16s, or F-117s?  Man, did I get screwed!  What were they doing, trying to save money while I was getting shot at in some foreign pest-hole? Or could it be that wars can't be won without the guy on the ground holding and controlling the ground with air power supporting in the air?  >:D Heck, I could have saved my 30-40 percentage points of disability.  :D