Summary of Winter Board 2008 Changes and approvals

Started by Eclipse, March 01, 2008, 09:55:14 PM

BigMojo

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on March 03, 2008, 01:42:59 PM
I did not see anything on that.  Are you asking about cadets under 18 being able to become GTL's?

Yes...I thought I read somewhere that they were contemplating allowing qualified cadets under 18 to become GTL's. I have one cadet in particular that is has all the quals, and is deserving of the title if we could give it.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

arajca

Quote from: BigMojo on March 03, 2008, 04:35:08 PM
Quote from: Bayhawk21 on March 03, 2008, 01:42:59 PM
I did not see anything on that.  Are you asking about cadets under 18 being able to become GTL's?

Yes...I thought I read somewhere that they were contemplating allowing qualified cadets under 18 to become GTL's. I have one cadet in particular that is has all the quals, and is deserving of the title if we could give it.
Does this cadet have have a CAP driver's license?

floridacyclist

I think they removed the requirement for a DL from the SQTR, I haven't noticed it lately. From the DL standpoint, It wouldn't matter as long as a team member could drive.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

arajca

BigMojo

He does not, but it is not required any longer. He has everything completed (GTM3,2,1 and GTL) in terms of SQTR tasks...he just doesn't have the age met. While some cadets lack the maturity to handle the position, I think the CC or ES officer should be able to decide if a cadet is ready to take the responsibility of leading a team.

Maybe there's some legal issue at play?
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: BigMojo on March 03, 2008, 05:32:10 PM
He does not, but it is not required any longer. He has everything completed (GTM3,2,1 and GTL) in terms of SQTR tasks...he just doesn't have the age met. While some cadets lack the maturity to handle the position, I think the CC or ES officer should be able to decide if a cadet is ready to take the responsibility of leading a team.

I would see signing over/accepting a site possible factors as you have to be 18 to sign a contract.  One would expect that the forms are legally binding documents that the team is responsible for the site, and that if anything goes wrong or has to be taken to court that the team is the one to go to.

Ned

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 03, 2008, 06:43:49 PM
I would see signing over/accepting a site possible factors as you have to be 18 to sign a contract.  One would expect that the forms are legally binding documents that the team is responsible for the site, and that if anything goes wrong or has to be taken to court that the team is the one to go to.

It's a little off topic, but minors can and do sign contracts every day and under certain circumstances can be held to full legal liability as if they were adults.

But even more importantly, no GTL should be signing any sort of personal contract for anything mission-related.  The "party in interest" is CAP, Inc., not the GTL regardless of age.

And the only signature that can bind CAP Inc., is a corporate officer -- i.e., wing commander or higher.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Ned Lee
Former CAP Legal Officer

SJFedor

He shouldn't have anything completed on the GTL SQTR, as he is under the age of 18, and does not meet all of the prerequisites for the SQTR to be issued. Doing so makes him, more or less, a GTL trainee under age, which is in contradiction to CAPR 60-3.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

davidsinn

Isn't the age the only thing on a GTL Sqtr that is unique to GTL? I thought GTM3-1 covered all the tasks that GTL did.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

davedove

Quote from: davidsinn on March 03, 2008, 07:01:48 PM
Isn't the age the only thing on a GTL Sqtr that is unique to GTL? I thought GTM3-1 covered all the tasks that GTL did.

There are a few that are unique to GTL, but in general you are right.  Most of the tasks are also in one of the other ground qualifications.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

BigMojo

Exactly...His GTM3-1 took care of most the GTL things, the few unique tasks have not been signed on yet as he can't complete the pre-reqs until he's 18.

My point on this matter was that they should reconsider the age requirement...we really should return this to topic as it appears I was mistaken that it wasn't discussed at the meeting.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

spaatzmom

Did this cadet attend NESA?  If so he may be able to wear the badge as his paperwork would show the completion of all tasks, but by age could not perform as such.  This happened to many of the cadets who attended NESA with my son.  They were told to keep the paperwork given to them with the tasks, mission numbers, and roster list of cadets and turn in a  copy when they turned 18 so they could then do the job of GTL.

tjaxe

Quote from: BillB on March 02, 2008, 05:25:07 PM
Without a doubt that internet video presentation was on a scale from 1-10 a zero.
Dropped audio, jerky pans. shots of a vacant podium when actionwas off to the side slides on screen long after the speaker covered them and moved on. Could I have done better? You bet your bippie since I have 40 years experience in video production and presentation. I've seen much better production coming from the CAP National staff. It doesn't look like something Marc would turn out.

I don't think I'd give it a zero at all.  I think it was great that we could be there "live" as it was going on.  Yeah, there were a few glitches and some less-than-perfect moments but as someone who DOESN'T have 40 years experience I thought it was okay.  Again... I'm happy we could peek in in general.  That's just my .02c.

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

Walkman

Quote from: Pylon on March 03, 2008, 03:46:46 PM

OK, this is late in the game, but...

As a graphic designer and self-proclaimed type nerd, the typography on the banner below the shield drives me NUTS! Trying to force letters around the point of the banner is just ugly.

Sorry, off my soapbox and back to the previous discussion.

SarDragon

Quote from: Walkman on March 03, 2008, 11:16:55 PM
As a graphic designer and self-proclaimed type nerd, the typography on the banner below the shield drives me NUTS! Trying to force letters around the point of the banner is just ugly.

But it's a piece of pie in Illustrator!  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ddelaney103

Quote from: Walkman on March 03, 2008, 11:16:55 PM
Quote from: Pylon on March 03, 2008, 03:46:46 PM

OK, this is late in the game, but...

Sorry, off my soapbox and back to the previous discussion.

However, that is the way the AF does it:

fyrfitrmedic

Question:

Does anybody have anything approaching a canonical summary?
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

NJMEDIC

A new alternate field uniform, not sure on the details.  Passed.

Any Details on the uniform?
Mark J. Burckley,NJ EMT-P
Major  CAP
Member NJ EMS Task Force

jeders

Quote from: NJMEDIC on March 04, 2008, 03:38:33 AM
A new alternate field uniform, not sure on the details.  Passed.

Any Details on the uniform?

Not an actual national uniform. Just allows wing commanders to create alternate field uniforms if the state requires certain things or allow certain environmental type uniform items such as snow suits for those far to the north.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

baronet68

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager