Main Menu

***WARNING***

Started by Stonewall, August 22, 2007, 09:04:57 PM

Indaweeds

Colonel, before "sealing the deal" with surgery, if you have not already done so, please check out conservative spinal treatments such as mechanical traction (or, as it is sometimes referred to, "spinal decompression" - however, that term can sometimes be confusing as there is a  surgical procedure known as decompression).  Perhaps there's a physician's (D.O. or M.D.) practice near you that offers these types of treatments.

Fifinella

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 23, 2007, 01:52:49 PM
Quote from: NIN on August 23, 2007, 04:24:22 AM
.....But I've realized that in the last few years, I'm not as resilient as I once was.  Bummer...

I'm only a couple years from 40, and I've noticed the slowdown. Was talking to someone yesterday about the things to do while you're young. We came to the conclusion that you should do all your college and higher impact fun stuff when you're in your twenties. Cause after that, it ain't as easy to bounce back.

In the words of a song..."I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."  Getting old ain't for sissies.

Be sure you get physical therapy as part of your treatment.  It's always helped me recover from my traumas.

Good luck, Ultimate Vicodin.  ;)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

DogCollar

Col. Bowden,
So sorry to learn of your back difficulties.  It is no fun.  I'm nearly 47, so consider you a very young man still!  Wish you all the best.

I've had back problems over the years, nothing terribly serious.  My knees, however, are definitely troublesome.  Ugh.

Anyway, I wish I could tell you that reaching middle aged was a barrel of laughs and easy, however...it's not.  The body doesn't respond like it use to.  It takes longer, harder work to just stay in the shape you're in!  I'm probably not helping you feel anybetter, but letting you know rather, you have a lot of support from your "elders."

Bill
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Stonewall

I've actually done pretty well so far, as far as "getting old".  I'm only 35, and while I've got a set of handles, it's not like they're huge.  I'm 6' 2" and weigh in between 205 and 210 depending on the time of year.  I porked up to 213 in the past 2 months with my back as I stopped working out but failed to lower my food intake.  I just didn't expect to be out of commission this long.  No problem, I'm cutting out about 1/3 of my food intake.

I'm planning to go to Raven school in 2008 so I have no choice but to get back into shape as soon as possible following surgery.  Need to be running 40 minute 5 miles again and maxing my push-ups and sit-ups.  If all goes well, I'll be there by spring.

Now, where's that steak?
Serving since 1987.

Fifinella

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

PHall

Quote from: Fifinella on October 05, 2007, 03:54:17 AM
Raven school?

Cop in a flight suit to keep the riff raff away from the C-5 or C-17.

Stonewall

BTW, it's 3 weeks now.  Not sure if they're still 12 hour days, but I confirmed it's 3 weeks now.
Serving since 1987.

NIN

Quote from: Stonewall on October 05, 2007, 11:48:05 AM
BTW, it's 3 weeks now.  Not sure if they're still 12 hour days, but I confirmed it's 3 weeks now.

* NIN covers his mouth in a vain attempt not to make a wisecrack about the "9 to 5 Air Force"

;D
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Stonewall

Quote from: NIN on October 05, 2007, 11:56:37 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on October 05, 2007, 11:48:05 AM

* NIN covers his mouth in a vain attempt not to make a wisecrack about the "9 to 5 Air Force"

;D

First off, it's "8 to 4", and that does include one hour of PT time and 30 minutes of lunch.  Around these parts though, I just see some 1 1/2 hour lunches.
Serving since 1987.

gistek

I have a healed compression fracture in my neck. Over the years C4, 5, and 6 have fused and C1, 2, and 3 are compensating. My x-rays show wide spaces between the skull and the top three vertebrae - up to 1/2 inch.

Fortunately, since the fusion, I have significantly less neck pain, but I am more prone to positional nerve symptoms. (If I sleep in the wrong position my arms are numb and tingly when I wake. Other positions or activities can cause temporary loss of leg and/or arm movement/feeling.

I'm getting used to it and have removed myself from active ES until I know I'm stable enough to handle the requirements (like camping) associated with SAR missions.

I'm still able to train, and am trying to maintain my ratings on mission skills. I'm hoping to be back on the call-out list sometime next year.

JAFO78

Kirt. Found out yesterday our trip to JAX is for the air show. They are undecided if it will be a day trip or if we will be staying on base at BLQ over night.
JAFO

Stonewall

Quote from: RobG on October 07, 2007, 04:26:01 PM
Kirt. Found out yesterday our trip to JAX is for the air show. They are undecided if it will be a day trip or if we will be staying on base at BLQ over night.

Rob, which Air Show?  I didn't know there was an airshow going on up here (down here for everyone else outside of FL).

I heard about one at Mayport, but don't know any specifics.  I can't imagine the base having enough space to house you guys with all the TDYers here for the show.  Never know.
Serving since 1987.

JAFO78

Jacksonville Sea & Sky Spectacular
November 2-4, 2007
Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Free Admission

The Blue Angles are going to be there!!!!!!

Not sure of the number of people going. The LT said if we can get a place to sleep we would spend the night, other wise it will just be a day trip.
JAFO

JAFO78

I just found this that the Thunderbirds are going to be at KSC the same weekend.

World Space Expo - NASA 50th Anniversary Event
Shuttle Landing Facility Kennedy Space Center, FL

So Both The Blue Angles and the Thunderbirds are going to be in the area the same weekend...........
JAFO

Stonewall

Quote from: RobG on October 07, 2007, 09:40:50 PM
Jacksonville Sea & Sky Spectacular
November 2-4, 2007
Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Free Admission

I'll be there, no doubt.  I've been to tons of airshows, but never one of these Sea & Air things...
Serving since 1987.

Steve Silverwood

Quote from: Stonewall on August 22, 2007, 09:04:57 PM
I just got placed on 4 more days of "staying at home doing nothing" by my doctor followed by an MRI and bone density test, followed by "light limited duty" until we get my back fixed.  He also prescribed me some better drugs.  So if you experience my post count going up or slurred typing with irrational claims of inventing things like the question mark, please ignore me.

This is only a ***WARNING***.

I have drill this weekend where I'm sure I'll be sitting there at a computer since I can't do much of anything... Grrrr....  I AM NOT GETTING OLD!!!!!!

I know how you feel.  Back pain is no fun at all.  I had back surgery just about two years ago, to correct an injury sustained 13 years before that (don't you love managed health care?).  Removed discs at L4-5 and L5-S1, fused L4/L5/S1 and filled in the gap with "cadaver bone" (I'm now known as "Frankenspine!") plus six big honkin' screws and two rods to hold it all together.

Still hurts like hell, although not nearly as bad as what it was like before the surgery.   And thanks to Dr. T.K. Ganocy and the gang at Kaiser Permanente (Sunset & Vermont in Los Angeles), I walked out of the hospital under my own steam six days after the surgery!!!

(Side story: the hardware is titanium -- gave me pause for concern the first time I flew commercial after the surgery.  I was sure I would have to go thru a strip-search when the metal detectors went berserk.  I walked through, no beep.  I made the mistake of looking surprised.  The TSA guy asked what was wrong.  I said, "Wow, it didn't go beep!"  He asked me why I wanted it to?!  I told him about the surgery, showed him the scars (front and back) when he asked, and he said, no sweat, titanium is non-ferrous, doesn't trip the magnetometer. ::) )

I'm still taking pain pills, and I've lost a little flexibility (obviously), but life's a lot better now.

Hope all has worked out well for you!

//Steve//

(And for the record, I hit the big Five-Oh next March.)
-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood
kb6ojs@arrl.net

flyerthom

Quote from: DogCollar on October 04, 2007, 02:47:06 PM
Col. Bowden,
So sorry to learn of your back difficulties.  It is no fun.  I'm nearly 47, so consider you a very young man still!  Wish you all the best.

I've had back problems over the years, nothing terribly serious.  My knees, however, are definitely troublesome.  Ugh.

Anyway, I wish I could tell you that reaching middle aged was a barrel of laughs and easy, however...it's not.  The body doesn't respond like it use to.  It takes longer, harder work to just stay in the shape you're in!  I'm probably not helping you feel anybetter, but letting you know rather, you have a lot of support from your "elders."

Bill

Not that far behind you. This morning when I woke up I told my wife I could skip the day today. She said "no way, you have to go to work."
I said "no I don't I'm dead."
She said no way buddy, you're talking to me!"
I said, "nope, I'm dead."
She asked, "why do you think that?"
"Because nothing hurts."

Col, do the docs have you on any NASIDS or steroids?
If so watch the guts and the sweets.
Thoughts to ya.

TC

Steve Silverwood

Quote from: flyerthom on October 11, 2007, 03:40:43 AM
Col, do the docs have you on any NASIDS or steroids?
If so watch the guts and the sweets.

Good advice.  Look what happened to Jerry Lewis (steroids).

The only NSAID they gave me in my situation was Relafen, which has the added advantage of not being a problem with stomach irritation.  Nice for the mild pain, not really helpful for the big spasms.
-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood
kb6ojs@arrl.net

Short Field

Getting old sucks - but it beats the alternative.....
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640