Maj Gen Pineda's Video Invitation to the National Boards

Started by Pylon, May 23, 2007, 03:41:21 PM

Pylon

Has anybody seen it yet?

mms://wm.vitalstreamcdn.com/civilairpatrolnhq_vitalstream_com/2007%20SB%20Email%202.wmv

It showed up in my inbox a few minutes ago.  The email can be read here and uses a new "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" header.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Yes - please Lord, don't let "Citizens Serving Communities" be our new motto.

The fact that he trips over "Missions For America" tells me they want to back off that catch phrase.

The logo looks like the announcement for a grade-school bake sale.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP428

Quote from: Eclipse on May 23, 2007, 04:45:48 PM
The fact that he trips over "Missions For America" tells me they want to back off that catch phrase.

That would be fine with me.  I've always been a fan of slogans that were catchy or unique, not literal statements of what we do  ::) .

jimmydeanno

Aarg...it reminded me of the CPPT video with the cue cards...

"Hi, I'm [looks at cue card] John, here to [looks at cue card] talk about [looks at cue card] Cadet [cue card] Protection er um Training.  For the next 4 hours..."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

LtCol White

I agree. What the hell does that background have to do with us other than it says CAP? That is embarassing, juvenile, and tacky.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Smokey

***SUCKS*** is the thought that comes to mind.  That header/logo really looks like a grade school fund raiser and logo was designed by a 3rd grader. (My sincerest apologies to all 3rd graders).

Ah the video.......gave me warm fuzzies.   I think I'll pass.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

shorning

I have to disagree.  I'm actually impressed that CAP is attempting to use technology to reach out to the membership.  Can it be done better?  Sure.  But considering that we still have members that done own a computer, or still have dial-up, or are still relying on how they did things 20 years ago, I think this is a step in the right direction.  How many of us have made similar efforts within out own span of control?

mikeylikey

Quote from: shorning on May 23, 2007, 05:22:45 PM
I have to disagree.  I'm actually impressed that CAP is attempting to use technology to reach out to the membership.  Can it be done better?  Sure.  But considering that we still have members that done own a computer, or still have dial-up, or are still relying on how they did things 20 years ago, I think this is a step in the right direction.  How many of us have made similar efforts within out own span of control?

Let me get my typewriter out
What's up monkeys?

JC004

What's with the monopoly houses on the header?  ::sigh::  My proposed, revised logo below:

Smokey

The idea of a video is fine...it's the execution that sucks.  The logo on the e-mail is severely lacking and juvenile looking. And where the heck did this new slogan "Citizens serving communities" come from????   Do they just make this stuff up on the fly???

Granted Grand Pooh-Bah Pineda is not a dynamic speaker, but the video itself does nothing to get me excited about attending the conference.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

DrDave

I think you all are confusing our corporate motto ("Missions for America" )with the annual slogan of the National Board Conference.

Each year, the NB Conference appears to have a "theme" and overall logo/marketing plan.  Couple of years ago in St. Louis it was "Everyday Heroes".  Not sure what it was last year in Nevada.

Whether you like it or not, I'm sure you're going to see that "Citizens Serving Communities" tagline and logo plastered across any and everything associated with the conference (i.e. program book, signage, etc.).  But, it'll be a temporary thing, all gone by September.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

jimmydeanno

Quote from: JC004 on May 23, 2007, 05:32:16 PM
What's with the monopoly houses on the header?  ::sigh::  My proposed, revised logo below:

You almost got me in trouble here at work because of this you know...I work in a very quiet environment, and the sudden "burst of laughter" got a few people looking over the cube walls...

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

Quote from: DrDave on May 23, 2007, 06:02:10 PM
...Each year, the NB Conference appears to have a "theme" and overall logo/marketing plan.  Couple of years ago in St. Louis it was "Everyday Heroes".  Not sure what it was last year in Nevada.

I believe it was "Fun & Games."

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 23, 2007, 06:09:28 PM

You almost got me in trouble here at work because of this you know...I work in a very quiet environment, and the sudden "burst of laughter" got a few people looking over the cube walls...

Opps.   >:D

Fifinella

You all don't get it.  The header indicates the National plan to win the hearts and minds of grade-schoolers for CAP has begun.  Stay tuned for the Pineda "Mr Rogers"-style sweater uniform - coming soon.  >:D
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

mikeylikey

Quote from: Fifinella on May 23, 2007, 07:27:30 PM
You all don't get it.  The header indicates the National plan to win the hearts and minds of grade-schoolers for CAP has begun.  Stay tuned for the Pineda "Mr Rogers"-style sweater uniform - coming soon.  >:D

It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood.
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

What a blah motto/tagline/whatever.  It does look like something a school district would use.  Not that "Missions For America" is any better. 

JC004

I've been saying this since the AEM program was expanded to include elementary school students as eligible members, but nooooo...

Johnny Yuma

I'd watch the video if i didn't have to listen to him raping the English language with that Dade County Cubano dialect.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

LtCol White

Ummmm....we already HAVE a Mr Rogers sweater remember?? The USAF Caridigan  ;D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

LtCol White

Quote from: JC004 on May 23, 2007, 07:07:26 PM
Quote from: DrDave on May 23, 2007, 06:02:10 PM
...Each year, the NB Conference appears to have a "theme" and overall logo/marketing plan.  Couple of years ago in St. Louis it was "Everyday Heroes".  Not sure what it was last year in Nevada.

I believe it was "Fun & Games."

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 23, 2007, 06:09:28 PM

Opps.   >:D

from the looks of this sign, you live in a "nice" neighborhood.....are you sure its not "mr Robinson's neighborhood from Sat Night Live with Eddie Murphy a long time ago???  :o
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

LtCol White

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on May 23, 2007, 11:17:31 PM
I'd watch the video if i didn't have to listen to him raping the English language with that Dade County Cubano dialect.

"owgoost"
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

lordmonar

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 23, 2007, 05:23:47 PM
Quote from: shorning on May 23, 2007, 05:22:45 PM

Let me get my typewriter out

Typewriter!  Back in my day we had sheets of clay and little pointed stick and we happy.....Typewriters....... >:(
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Is there really a need to make fun of someone's accent?   :(

jimmydeanno

Quote from: RiverAux on May 23, 2007, 11:53:23 PM
Is there really a need to make fun of someone's accent?   :(

Yeah, everyone leaves Arnold alone... :D

ColonelJack

I watched it.  For a man who is (1) not a professional public speaker and (2) of Hispanic descent, he did a pretty decent job.  (I say this from my position as a broadcast journalist of 31 years' experience.  I've hired people who sounded worse, and fired people who sounded better.)

Cut the man some slack, okay?  He's doing his best at this video thing.

Sheesh!   ;)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Major Carrales

Video is not easy to do correctly when one is not used to it.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JC004

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 24, 2007, 03:37:57 AM
Video is not easy to do correctly when one is not used to it.

Agree...and it has nothing to do with the 15 pax black van that I saw while I was walking home from the store.

Fifinella

Quote from: lordmonar on May 23, 2007, 11:52:50 PM
Typewriter!  Back in my day we had sheets of clay and little pointed stick and we happy.....Typewriters....... >:(

YOU had sheets of clay?  You were lucky!  We had papyrus, and we were happy.  :D
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Al Sayre

You had papyrus?  We had dirt; and we drew in it with our grubby fingers until our fingernails fell off and then we found out we could use our blood to add color to our pictograms ...and we liked it!
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

BillB

You used your blood to color the pictographs?  That's dumb, what do you think we have cadets for?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

alamrcn

Quote from: Eclipse on May 23, 2007, 04:45:48 PM
The logo looks like the announcement for a grade-school bake sale.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!  That's is too funny, because I thought the same thing after momments before I got the e-mail from TP, I had read an e-mail from my kindergartener daughter's school.

Where is the LOL smiley anyway? It's not in the line-up about the "message" field...

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

An announcement from National with yet ANOTHER change to the corprate planes and van scheme:
- All units are to order "Citizens Serving Communitees" stickers to be immeadiately applied to all aircraft and vehicles, and will be required by 01 December 2007.
- These giant stickers will be available from Vanguard shortly, probably in early 2008.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

LtCol White

The Air Force slogan now is "Cross into the blue" perhaps we should use a modifed version for CAP...."Cross into the poo"

>:D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Lancer

Flying Pig

Flying Pig

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Flying Pig

Crap!!!  I got a new iMac Im still trying to sort out...hold on

Flying Pig

Here....I want this on our 182

Psicorp

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

M.S.

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 24, 2007, 06:06:23 PM
Here....I want this on our 182

That's what our new corporate graphics can be to distinguish ourselves!!!  Cappy the CAP bird painted on our aircraft and National Public Affairs can send Cappy the CAP bird suits out the field to help with recruiting!

Oh wait, that's right - national PAO doesn't help raise awareness of CAP or promote anything in the field or help us build recognition...... nevermind.........

i guess we can just go back to changing our nametapes and door decals.......

LTC_Gadget

Quote from: LtCol White on May 23, 2007, 11:48:29 PM
[from the looks of this sign, you live in a "nice" neighborhood.....are you sure its not "mr Robinson's neighborhood from Sat Night Live with Eddie Murphy a long time ago???  :o

Big dog barkin' in the middle of the night
Kill my landlord, kill my landlord
Sneak up the back stairs, outta sight
Kill my landlord, kill my landlord

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.