Started by RepublicofE, September 06, 2015, 01:37:19 AM

RepublicofE

Quote from: sarmed1 on September 08, 2015, 03:00:26 PM
Quote from: RepublicofE on September 08, 2015, 04:39:46 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 07, 2015, 01:43:39 AM
Quote from: RepublicofE on September 06, 2015, 10:36:50 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 06, 2015, 02:02:48 PM
From their FAQ:

Q.  What are the Explorers? Are they the same as CAP, or JROTC?

While similar to CAP and JROTC by youth demeanor only, the USAFX Cadet is a total cadet 24/7 held accountable just as a regular Commissioned Officer of our Armed Forces is during their tenure with the unit.

They neglected to mention that, unlike CAP and JROTC, the United States Air Force Explorers have no association whatsoever with the Air Force or the United States government. Their name is quite misleading.

Well their whole pitch seems to revolve around the idea that their program will improve your chances of selection for one of the service academies.  I've never attended one of the service academies but that implication seems dubious at best.

Especially since the person in charge has never served in the military.

So you don't believe his bio.

I believe the bio as listed.  What seems "fishy" (or otherwise not stated, which may not be appropriate for a "bio" anyway) is what happened between ROTC and..... CAP? 
Benign:  not everyone who goes ROTC is able to or willing to accept a commission.   Injury/illness, better job offer, further education, family emergency, who knows.  (I know a few people that took ROTC as a college elective but never went to the military)  Worrisome is that was there some other "disqualifying issue" legal trouble, misconduct etc etc. (which is usually the concern with most "military"-esque organizations that aren't a sanctioned military affiliated organization)

MK

Well I'm not very good at deciphering military bios but he mentions a lot of military training.  Are these all courses that they just let civilians take as well?

Anyway, what I find really hilarious is that the majority of "awards" listed in his bio are "USAF Explorer" organizational awards.

RepublicofE

Quote from: Paul_AK on September 08, 2015, 02:45:20 PM
Why would a youth organization have anything listed as ISR? What the heck would that guy even do? Spy on the Boy's and Girl's club with RC planes?

lol I was wondering about that too.  Maybe they send drones around to catch illegal immigrant bands since they're down in Arizona and all.

Paul_AK

Quote from: RepublicofE on September 08, 2015, 10:14:08 PM
Why would a youth organization have anything listed as ISR? What the heck would that guy even do? Spy on the Boy's and Girl's club with RC planes?

lol I was wondering about that too.  Maybe they send drones around to catch illegal immigrant bands since they're down in Arizona and all.
Well, they do have MultiCams.
Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376

abdsp51

Multi-Cam isnt owned by the DOD so it's use isn't as limited.  And I highly doubt they are doing and missions for CBP much or even DHS.   There is one unit that I have been able to find via web searches and the more I have looked into it the more "shady" they look...

SAREXinNY

Did the Col ever serve in the military?  It doesn't look like he has, but how did he go to airborne school?

I'm not trying to be facetious here, it's a legitimate question.  ROTC while in college maybe?

THRAWN

Since this guy is about as hinky as a 3 dollar bill, I wouldnt be too wrapped up about his claims. He awarded himself like 4 decorations per year for crying out loud. Benning should have been no problem for GI Joke....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

Quote from: THRAWN on September 09, 2015, 12:37:30 AM
Since this guy is about as hinky as a 3 dollar bill, I wouldnt be too wrapped up about his claims. He awarded himself like 4 decorations per year for crying out loud. Benning should have been no problem for GI Joke....

Agreed. Let it die.

Paul_AK

Quote from: Paul_AK on September 08, 2015, 10:29:36 PM

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 08, 2015, 10:36:52 PM
Multi-Cam isnt owned by the DOD so it's use isn't as limited.  And I highly doubt they are doing and missions for CBP much or even DHS.

Just to clarify, in case it didn't come out well, the MultiCam comment was made in jest. Sarcasm is hard to voice over the net.
Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376

Storm Chaser

Quote from: RepublicofE on September 08, 2015, 04:39:46 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 07, 2015, 01:43:39 AM
Quote from: RepublicofE on September 06, 2015, 10:36:50 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 06, 2015, 02:02:48 PM
From their FAQ:

Q.  What are the Explorers? Are they the same as CAP, or JROTC?

While similar to CAP and JROTC by youth demeanor only, the USAFX Cadet is a total cadet 24/7 held accountable just as a regular Commissioned Officer of our Armed Forces is during their tenure with the unit.

They neglected to mention that, unlike CAP and JROTC, the United States Air Force Explorers have no association whatsoever with the Air Force or the United States government. Their name is quite misleading.

Well their whole pitch seems to revolve around the idea that their program will improve your chances of selection for one of the service academies.  I've never attended one of the service academies but that implication seems dubious at best.

Especially since the person in charge has never served in the military.

So you don't believe his bio.
While his bio is written in a way that makes all his CAP training and experience seem like he was in the military, it doesn't actually states he served in the military.

Quote from: Col E. Calvin Lowrie's Biography

Colonel Lowrie has led a distinguished career in serving our U.S. Air Forces through the Civil Air Patrol from 1972 until establishment of the U.S. Air Force Explorers in 1999.

http://www.usafexplorers.org/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/BI0-LOWRIE-Apr2015.pdf

Look at his bio closer and you'll see that all his duty assignments prior to the USAFX are CAP duty assignments.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: Paul_AK on September 09, 2015, 02:21:11 PM
Quote from: Paul_AK on September 08, 2015, 10:29:36 PM

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 08, 2015, 10:36:52 PM
Multi-Cam isnt owned by the DOD so it's use isn't as limited.  And I highly doubt they are doing and missions for CBP much or even DHS.

Just to clarify, in case it didn't come out well, the MultiCam comment was made in jest. Sarcasm is hard to voice over the net.

Yes it is.

TheSkyHornet

ThatOneGuy

I foolishly clicked on their website and it was disturbing to say the least... I want my mobile data back.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: superLt1995 on September 14, 2015, 07:13:10 AM
I foolishly clicked on their website and it was disturbing to say the least... I want my mobile data back.

Yup, waste of time, data, and life.

PHall

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on September 14, 2015, 10:49:18 AM

Just consider it a variation of being "Rick Rolled"!

Cliff_Chambliss

Looks like a good place to get some snake oil.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

THRAWN

We've probably tripled their hit count with this thread.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Garibaldi

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 10, 2015, 01:39:31 PM
Quote from: Panache on September 06, 2015, 03:28:28 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on September 06, 2015, 03:21:03 AM
Quote from: RepublicofE on September 06, 2015, 02:02:34 AM

HWSNBN?

Former National Commander of CAP who was relieved of his position, grade, and membership.

He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named

[/quote

If I said it once, I've said it a thousand times. Stop using my prom photo.]
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

PHall

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 20, 2015, 12:02:34 AM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 10, 2015, 01:39:31 PM
Quote from: Panache on September 06, 2015, 03:28:28 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on September 06, 2015, 03:21:03 AM
Quote from: RepublicofE on September 06, 2015, 02:02:34 AM

HWSNBN?

Former National Commander of CAP who was relieved of his position, grade, and membership.

He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named

If I said it once, I've said it a thousand times. Stop using my prom photo.]

And please learn how to properly use quote tags! :o   I fixed this one for you...   The bill is in the mail.

JacobAnn

I'll take your word for it.  I didn't even look.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: JacobAnn on September 20, 2015, 11:11:48 AM

I'll take your word for it.  I didn't even look.

Good idea.