1-3 years
4-6 years
7-9 years
10-12 years
13-15 years
16-18 years
19 + years

brasda91

Joined as a Senior in July 1993.  So that would be almost 14 years.  Had a couple of years as a cadet in late 80's.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

RogueLeader

26 October 2004 is when I joined, plan on being active for many years to come.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Carrales

June 1998, Originally a member of the Brownsville Comp Squadron Transferred to Corpus Christi in 1999 for proximity.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Origanlly in Wheeling Composite Squadron in WV then transfered to Dubuque Composit Squadron in Iowa due to transfereing schools.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Trung Si Ma

Cadet - July 69
Senior - May 74 - May 89 (Ex didn't forward renewal stuff to me overseas)
             Mar 90 - present
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Stonewall

Joined Jacksonville Composite Squadron (FLWG): 2 Feb 87 and left for Basic Training in 11 Jul 1991.

Cadet membership expired:  last day of February 1992

Joined as a senior member at my first duty station: 1 Dec 92

Been a member in National Capital Wing: 1 Dec 92 to 30 Jun 06

Now back at my original squadron in Florida: 1 Jul 06 to present
Serving since 1987.

wacapgh

Oct 74 - Dec 84
Nov 91 - Present

My Red Service Ribbon is on its second set of "numbers"  ;)

Chris Jacobs

C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

capchiro

Cadet, Wisconsin, Truax Field, 1963-1964
Senior, Kansas, Topeka, 1970
Senior, Florida and then Georgia, 1977 until today

Used to get upset with the old, gray-haired farts and now I am one.  I wasn't always though, and I do have some great memories.  Wouldn't change anything, with the exception of the pay structure..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

DeputyDog

I joined as a cadet in September of 1995, and then become a senior member (officer) in September of 1997. Have been active most of time.

drcomm

Cadet:

1978-1986  Ellington Composite Squadron (then 42098), Houston, TX

Senior:

2005-present  Starbase Composite Squadron, OK-151, Tulsa, OK

about 10 years combined,  two years in the latest "tour".
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

Al Sayre

Cadet from 1973 until 1979
Rejoined as Senior in November 2005
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

bosshawk

Joined CAP in Feb 1993.

Never a cadet, but did spend three years in military school in Jr High and HS.  Then, Army ROTC and thirty years of commissioned service in the Army(10 active, 20 in the Reserve).

Been militarized for most of my life.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

sardak

Recruited as a senior member in 1980. 

I had joined the local SAR team and they said "Have we got a deal for you. There's another group called CAP..." -  I'd never heard of it.

Been a member of CAP ever since, and have always belonged to the local SAR team wherever I've lived.

Mike

ZigZag911

Cadet: June 70-March 73 (started late, topped out with Earhart)

Senior: March 73-present

AlphaSigOU

Cadet:

Georgia Wing (Peachtree-Dekalb Cadet Squadron) - December 1977 to February 1979
Florida Wing - February 1979 to December 1984 (University Cadet Squadron, North Miami Cadet Squadron) (C/Major, retired)

Senior:

Overseas Squadron (Bitburg-Spangdahlem Cadet Squadron): October 1985-November 1986
National Capital Wing (Fairfax Composite Squadron): November 1986-October 1988

[cue 17-year break in membership]

Texas Wing (Addison Eagles Composite Squadron): October 2005-present.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Carrales

If I may...this is one of the best topics in a long while.

Kudos to eveyone!!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Pylon

Been a member of CAP for just over 10 years now.

Cadet:  Jan 1997 - April 2004
Senior: April 2004 - Present

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

fyrfitrmedic

Cadet '79-'88
Senior '88-'94 and '95 to present
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

flyguy06

I joines as a cadet in 1984 when I was 15. I am now a Senior member. I have NEVER had a break in membership. I have always been financial. The only time I was inactive was in college and when I was enlisted in the army and even then I was a member of the HIWG justdidnt get the chance to participate much.

Becks

Started as a cadet in 02.

BBATW

Camas

Joined a squadron in Oct 2000 and asked to take on a wing position in Dec 2003 where I am now.  Never was a cadet; I'd never heard of CAP until I was in my early 20's.

JC004

It seems like forever, but it has only been since Oct '99.  I knew about CAP all my life (grandparents were members).  I looked it up online one day to see what it was like now (then).  I joined, eventually got my Earhart.  Decided to be a senior member (pre-21) in 2004, transferred to Group HQ.  Became a Real Senior MemberTM last year.  Transferred down to a squadron (different one) in December due to the work load with my business.  Still do stuff at wing and get suckered into various things.  So red service ribbon with a clasp that never wants to stay on straight (GR!).

PhoenixRisen

MajorSER

Joined the New York Wing  2 Sept 1972
Lt. Col. David Crockwell MLO
FC 07-09-08
Я был там как солдатом

Tim Medeiros

cadet 9 Aug 99 - 19 Jan 07
senior 19 Jan 07 - present
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

DrDave

Only been a member for a little over a year and a half -- shows you how quickly you can become a Major AND Group Commander when you don't say "no" quickly enough!

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

JC004

Quote from: DrDave on April 13, 2007, 03:59:15 AM
Only been a member for a little over a year and a half -- shows you how quickly you can become a Major AND Group Commander when you don't say "no" quickly enough!

Dr. Dave

Joke's on you.  :)  Being a group commander will teach you.

Ford73Diesel

Joined as a cadet in April 2002 (almost five years ago exactly!)

Plan on staying a cadet until 21 (2.5 years left)

edited to add:

GLR-OH-131 2002-2004
GLR-OH-236 2004-2005
GLR-OH-096 2005- present

Pylon

Quote from: markh on April 13, 2007, 05:03:28 AM
Plan on staying a cadet until 21 (2.5 years left)

Great!  You've got enough time to get your Spaatz, then!    :)

Ford73Diesel

A little off topic, but whatever...

I prefer small steps. My current goal is C/Maj by the end of the year. If I make it to C/Lt Col ( I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch), I will defiantly give the Spaatz a try or two  ;D

My promotion rates are slower than average, but I think I've been rather successful as a cadet, considering only 5% who join make it to C/Capt.

stillamarine

Been a member since....yesterday! lol Well it seems like it, March 28, 2007! Guess that makes me the boot! :(  I do have a little less than 3 years as a cadet back around 90.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

JC004

Quote from: stillamarine on April 13, 2007, 05:31:31 AM
Been a member since....yesterday! lol Well it seems like it, March 28, 2007! Guess that makes me the boot! :(  I do have a little less than 3 years as a cadet back around 90.

Welcome back.  It'll be fun...I promise.  As long as you can keep up with the uniform changes.   :)

SarDragon

Cadet - NJ059 - 2/64 - 4/69; Mitchell, no Curry
SM - 4/69 ( AD USN) - various units in NJ and ME until @ 1980
lapsed until 1987
NHQ113 - 4/87 - 9/99 (inactive 8/89 - 9-99)
CA261 - 9/99 - 6/04
CA-256 - 6/04 - present

Can actually document 27 yrs toward Red Service; working on the rest.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DogCollar

Joined as a Cadet, 1974 -75

Joined as a Senior Member, 2006
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

capchiro

Excellent topic.  It is amazing to see how many members are prior cadets.  This should encourage us, because even with a break in service, a certain number will return.  Also, over 60% have over 10 years experience and about 39% have over 19 years experience.  This should tell us that we are not getting the message out to new members about this website.  Shame on us.  Now, the good news, this also tells us that we have some very experienced and knowledgable contributors on this board.  I don't think the active duty has 39% with over 19 years of experience.  This also tells us that we are probably rank heavy on this board, but again, the only way to even that out is to get the word out to the new guys.  Speaking of that, I think I may have been remiss in passing the word to all of my squadron about this site.  That will be rectified.  Now, with all of this experience, let's do something good and help those less experienced.  Also, if CAP is so bad, and that is the opinion I get from some of the posts in the last year, why have so many stayed for so long and are so dedicated that they are utilizing this site?  I don't think members with 19+ years of experience would have stayed for so long if they had the feelings of discontentment that has been evoked here sometimes.  Yes, we may have a problem with National and yes, I have never seen so many uniform changes in my life, but some of this will pass, so, as they say, keep on keeping on, and remember, that snotty nosed, long haired cadet that you recruit tomorrow may be here in 20 years doing great things. Carry on.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Stonewall

I know you stated this, but remember, this poll is not representative of total CAP.  There was another poll on CAPTalk that asked what the most popular rank is out there and I believe it was either 1st Lt or Captain.  And that wasn't a look at CAPTalk membership, it was in CAP.

I think that is a more realistic sample that speaks of CAP's total experience within our program.  Figure most captains in CAP have under 10 years?  Is that a decent guess?

What we need in this organization is former cadets, preferably Mitchell or higher, who have left CAP, gone on to something bigger and better (college, military, business, professional level careers), maybe started their family, and are in their late 20s to early 40s and have some quantified experience and knowledge to bring to our organization, especially our cadet program.  In my experience, those have been the backbone senior members that carry on CAP's fine traditions of volunteer service in every facet of CAP.  In my case, cadet programs has been a majority of my focus followed closely by emergency services.

Yes, there is a large percentage of folks on this forum board who have 19+ years experience.  Like a good squadron commander training their replacement, we need to pass on what we know to be best for CAP to those who, in 10 years, will have 19+ years experience.  For those of us with 19+ years experience, how many times have we briefed new members on the basics of CAP?  Of those, how many made that effort worth while?  Probably not a lot.  So the "old timers" get fed up and continue doing things, usually all the hard work, on their own.  This, instead of training the future leaders of CAP.

Just a thought, nothing earth shattering.  I wouldn't be here if I didn't love CAP and feel indebted to the program.  There is no doubt in my mind that CAP played a direct role in making me the person I am today.  It was my choice to enlist into the Army after high school, but I owe CAP for preparing me for that experience and making me a better soldier.  After the Army, all three professional careers I've had came as a direct result of my experience in CAP.  Yeah, I'd say CAP has paid dividends in my life.
Serving since 1987.

Eeyore

Joined as a cadet in 1997, rejoined as a SM March of this year.

DogCollar

Quote from: Stonewall on April 13, 2007, 12:07:08 PM

What we need in this organization is former cadets, preferably Mitchell or higher, who have left CAP, gone on to something bigger and better (college, military, business, professional level careers), maybe started their family, and are in their late 20s to early 40s and have some quantified experience and knowledge to bring to our organization, especially our cadet program.  In my experience, those have been the backbone senior members that carry on CAP's fine traditions of volunteer service in every facet of CAP.  In my case, cadet programs has been a majority of my focus followed closely by emergency services.

I agree, however, this is the very same demographic (+/- 5 years) that every other volunteer/service organization, youth sports league, and religious worship centers are looking at as well.  Just know that the competition is fierce.  This is also the time when most people are heavily involved in careers and raising families!  This targeted generation also carries more financial debt than any other previous generation.  I know I probably sound like a wet-blanket, (I believe this age demographic SHOULD be targeted).  I think to be realistic as to success, anything approaching a 2 to 5 % return on recruiting investment would have to be seen as a HUGE success.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

SAR-EMT1

Joined as a cadet the week after 9/11
(tried to join the Guard the day after but they said I was too young... )

Transfered to Senior in 2003, in response to a request for more SMs - unit was down to the CC and his wife.

Hope to be here til Im planted.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Psicorp

Joined as a Cadet in NM Wing in '93 then transfered to FL Wing, '93-'97.
Turned SM in '97.

Let my membership lapse in '98 after moving to Alabama.

Rejoined in 2006.  Don't ever plan on quitting again.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

NYWG Historian

Cadet--CT Minutemen Composite (12/83-12/88)
Senior--12/93 (10 years to the day) - present
Peter J. Turecek, Major, CAP
Historian
New York Wing

AlaskanCFI

Joined as a cadet in the 1970s.  Just found one old cadet ID card that has a 1974 expiration date.   I paid dues for a few years through college and active duty.  Lapsed for a few years and then re-joined a couple times.
Major, Squadron Commander Stan-Eval..Instructor Pilot- Alaska Wing CAP
Retired Alaska Air Guard
Retired State of Alaska Law Dawg, Retired Vol Firefighter and EMT
Ex-Navy, Ex-Army,
Firearms Instructor
Alaskan Tailwheel and Floatplane CFI
http://www.floatplanealaska.com

brasda91

Quote from: Pylon on April 13, 2007, 02:07:01 AM
Been a member of CAP for just over 10 years now.

Cadet:  Jan 1997 - April 2004
Senior: April 2004 - Present

Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

afgeo4

Joined Nov 2002 as S/M with no prior cadet experience.
GEORGE LURYE

brasda91

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 13, 2007, 01:40:03 AM
If I may...this is one of the best topics in a long while.

Kudos to eveyone!!!!

I thought we needed a fresh topic with positive twist.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

brasda91

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 13, 2007, 02:21:43 AM
I joines as a cadet in 1984 when I was 15. I am now a Senior member. I have NEVER had a break in membership. I have always been financial. The only time I was inactive was in college and when I was enlisted in the army and even then I was a member of the HIWG justdidnt get the chance to participate much.

I was a cadet for a couple of years prior to leaving for the Army.  Don't know why I didn't transfer my membership while I was active. 
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

brasda91

Quote from: DrDave on April 13, 2007, 03:59:15 AM

Dr. Dave

Your quick promotion to Major is due to your profession.  Non-profession members take twice as long to reach Major.  Remember, when you say no, the job may not get done and then we all suffer.  Congratulations!!!  Keep up the good work.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

brasda91

Welcome to CAP!  Now drop and give me 20!!  Dollars, not push-ups!! >:D
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

flynd94

cadet 1986-1989 Clinton Scott Composite Sq, Scott AFB Il (mitchell cadet)
          1989-1992 Grand Forks Composite Sq, Grand Forks, AFB ND

senior 2002-present Jon Kramer Composite Sq, Palo Alto, CA

Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

Stonewall

Quote from: flynd94 on April 14, 2007, 11:34:51 PM
cadet 1986-1989 Clinton Scott Composite Sq, Scott AFB Il (mitchell cadet)
          1989-1992 Grand Forks Composite Sq, Grand Forks, AFB ND

senior 2002-present Jon Kramer Composite Sq, Palo Alto, CA

Just curious, what did you do during your 10 year break between '92 and '02?
Serving since 1987.

flynd94

I did the usual; I left during college.  Just too darn hard to make it out to the AFB from the city.  (25 miles from the city to AFB).  Then life got in the way of things.  I was busy with work and such.  I came back to CAP because it gave so much to me.  It got me started flying/career (IL Flight Encampment glider 1987, power 1988).  I wanted to give some young cadet that chance to learn how to fly.  When I have the chance I give highly discounted lessons to CAP cadets.  I charge them $10/hr for flight instruction, not bad considering my going rate is $60/hr.

I also love ES, just ask Monty.  I had the fun of helping him finally get involved in ES and earning his Observer Wings.

For all the issues we have its still a great program, I want to be around to try to help it continue on and, help make an impact on a younger generation.

Keith
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

Stonewall

Quote from: flynd94 on April 14, 2007, 11:54:07 PM
I did the usual; I left during college.  Just too darn hard to make it out to the AFB from the city.  (25 miles from the city to AFB).  Then life got in the way of things.  I was busy with work and such.  I came back to CAP because it gave so much to me.  It got me started flying/career (IL Flight Encampment glider 1987, power 1988).  I wanted to give some young cadet that chance to learn how to fly.  When I have the chance I give highly discounted lessons to CAP cadets.  I charge them $10/hr for flight instruction, not bad considering my going rate is $60/hr.

I also love ES, just ask Monty.  I had the fun of helping him finally get involved in ES and earning his Observer Wings.

For all the issues we have its still a great program, I want to be around to try to help it continue on and, help make an impact on a younger generation.

I figured it was something like that.

We were having a discussion with some fellow CAP vets about what makes the best senior member for CAP, specifically the Cadet Program.  I think you fall in that category, but that's just a guess based on your description above.  Good luck.
Serving since 1987.

stillamarine

Quote from: brasda91 on April 14, 2007, 01:42:15 PM

Psh do you know what they pay us around here? LOL I think i might be able to scrounge it up in change though! I just wouldn't try and take it through airport security!

Thanks for the welcome, I am glad to be back!  When my gf's kids are old enough and they express interest in the program I will probably switch to the CP side, but for now I'm going ES thanks to the suggestion of the many knowledgeable members of this forum  ;D

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

JC004

What in CAP costs only 20 bucks?   >:D

shorning

Quote from: JC004 on April 15, 2007, 03:54:31 AM

A single nametag from Vanguard?

stillamarine

Quote from: shorning on April 15, 2007, 04:16:46 AM

Not including shipping right?

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

JC004

Quote from: shorning on April 15, 2007, 04:16:46 AM

Not if you include productivity time lost by tracking down your order, arguing with people, and trying to figure out if it'll ever ship...

BBerry

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 13, 2007, 01:38:17 AM
Cadet:

Georgia Wing (Peachtree-Dekalb Cadet Squadron) - December 1977 to February 1979

Chuck,

Though we collectively called y'all "PDK Squadron" (and sometimes derisively as "PDQ"), and you met at the PDK airport, you were really in the Dekalb County Cadet Squadron!  As an unofficial GAWG historian, I feel it my duty to keep things straight.

As for me, I joined in '74, had to go "STP" (Senior Transition Program) when I entered the USAF Academy, so even though I have 'continuous service', NHQ shows me as joining in 1980.  :(

My twin brother Alan still shows that he joined in 1974, so DNA-wise I may have an argument!   ;D

Brian Berry, Lt Col, CAP
GBD, GTL, GTM1
Seminole Composite Squadron
FL116

SarDragon

If you have paper proof, you can ask NHQ to correct your First Joined date.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BBerry

Dave,

You mean like this?

I'm pretty busy, but one of these days I'll send a massive personnel update to NHQ with documentation of encampments, Special Acts, etc.

BB
Brian Berry, Lt Col, CAP
GBD, GTL, GTM1
Seminole Composite Squadron
FL116

SarDragon

Quote from: BBerry on April 15, 2007, 08:09:06 AM
Dave,

You mean like this?

I'm pretty busy, but one of these days I'll send a massive personnel update to NHQ with documentation of encampments, Special Acts, etc.

BB

You got it. I happen to have my original cadet recoerd to substantiate my original join date, and a few olde membership cards to substantiate Red Service ribbon devices. I wish I could find the rest of my olde stuff, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The Fighting Falcon

I'm just a noob :P: Joined in October of '06

Psicorp

Quote from: The Fighting Falcon on April 16, 2007, 03:43:18 PM
I'm just a noob :P: Joined in October of '06

Welcome!   I'm sure many of us would have to strain a neuron to remember life (and larger bank balances) before CAP.

Just a side note:  I sent my parents a photograph of me in a Mess Dress at the recent Wing Conference.  They sent back one of me in my first CAP uniform with C/Amn chevrons.  That was scary.

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Lancer

Quote from: Psicorp on April 16, 2007, 04:58:33 PM
They sent back one of me in my first CAP uniform with C/Amn chevrons.  That was scary.

...and it isn't posted here why?  >:D

Actually, I'm jealous... I have no pictures from WIWAC. I'm thinking about contacting wing HQ historian and seeing if they have anything from the squadron I was in, which has been inactive for a while now.  :-\

JaL5597

Cadet 10 Oct 96 to 25 Nov 97
Senior 25 Nov 97 to present.

I turned senior at the request of my squadron commander due to a lack of adult type bodies around the unit.

stillamarine

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on April 17, 2007, 12:12:35 AM
Quote from: Psicorp on April 16, 2007, 04:58:33 PM
They sent back one of me in my first CAP uniform with C/Amn chevrons.  That was scary.

...and it isn't posted here why?  >:D

Actually, I'm jealous... I have no pictures from WIWAC. I'm thinking about contacting wing HQ historian and seeing if they have anything from the squadron I was in, which has been inactive for a while now.  :-\

My dad has a pic of him in his blues (he's retired AF now) and me as a cadet in my blues shortly after graduating my first Encampment in Okinawa.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Ohioguard

Cadet, NY Wing, Horseheads Cadet Squadron, Oct 68 - Jun 73
SM, ID Wing, 73 - 79
SM, NY Wing, Adirondack Mountain Group, 79 - 80
Okinawa Cadet Squadron, 80 - 85
Vandenburg Cadet Squadron, CA Wing 85 - 87
AK Wing 87 - 88
OH Wing 88 - 91
FL Wing 91 - Present (not currently active in a unit) still a member

SJFedor

Cadet, PA Wing Jan 00- Jan 05
Senior, PA Wing, Jan 05- Mar 06
Senior, TN Wing, Mar 06- Current

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

pixelwonk

Non-Prior Service n00b: Milwaukee Composite Sqdn 5: Oct 1997-1998
Slacker: Col "Shorty" Powers Sqdn- ILWG: Oct 98-Mar 99
Hall pass monitor: 461st WI Composite Sqdn - West Bend, WI: Mar 99- Dec 2002
CAT5 knot untying specialist and Addl. duty as WI Wing Webslinger: La Crosse Composite Sqdn: Dec 2002-Sept 2005
Donut Eater: Fox Cities Composite Sqdn: Sept 2005-Mar 2007
Wing Webservant: Oct 2006 - present

Stonewall

Quote from: tedda on April 18, 2007, 06:23:22 PM
CAT5 knot untying specialist and Addl. duty as WI Wing Webslinger: La Crosse Composite Sqdn: Dec 2002-Sept 2005

Not sure if I ever mentioned it to you, because I thought I already knew you were in La Crosse, but I had a roommate in the Army who was a cadet at La Crosse Composite Squadron.  Never heard of La Crosse or Onalaska (where he was from) before I met him.  But I also remember that place being on an episode of "RESCUE 911".
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

Cadet  87-93
Senior 97-2003
Senior (again) 07

pixelwonk

Quote from: Stonewall on April 18, 2007, 07:48:47 PM
Quote from: tedda on April 18, 2007, 06:23:22 PM

Not sure if I ever mentioned it to you, because I thought I already knew you were in La Crosse, but I had a roommate in the Army who was a cadet at La Crosse Composite Squadron.  Never heard of La Crosse or Onalaska (where he was from) before I met him.  But I also remember that place being on an episode of "RESCUE 911".

Oh to be back there again... 
La Crosse has great Chinese food and my entire family misses our home in Onalaska. 
I used to be able to look right (West) out my front door and see the bluffs in Minnesota lit up by the morning sun when I went for my power walks.

Onalaska has the best Fire Dept on WI's "western coast" too, btw.  ...Was a truckie in '03 & 04 before we moved.
Good times!

CadetProgramGuy

2003 - 2005 IA-091 Central Iowa Composite - Noob
2005 - 2006 IA-072 Des Moines Metro Cadet Squadron - ES Noob
2006 - Present - IA-001 Iowa Wing Staff - DCP

Grumpy

Wow, sounds like there are some of you out there with a lot of time in CAP under your belts.  As for me, I first joined as a cadet in 1959 (couldn't be a cadet until you were 14).  My first Cadet encampment was at Mather AFB in 1961.  In 1963 I received my Certificate of Proficiency (signed by Curtis Le May) and went into the Air Force.  Rejoined CAP in 1969 for a short time.  I came back in 1993 and have stuck around ever since.

Brian Billing, Major, CAP
Dep. CMDR for Seniors
Skyhawk Comp. Sqdrn 47

Al Sayre

Quote from: Grumpy on May 17, 2007, 02:26:35 PM
Wow, sounds like there are some of you out there with a lot of time in CAP under your belts.  As for me, I first joined as a cadet in 1959 (couldn't be a cadet until you were 14).  My first Cadet encampment was at Mather AFB in 1961.  In 1963 I received my Certificate of Proficiency (signed by Curtis Le May) and went into the Air Force.  Rejoined CAP in 1969 for a short time.  I came back in 1993 and have stuck around ever since.

Dep. CMDR for Seniors
Skyhawk Comp. Sqdrn 47

Welcome aboard! 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Major Carrales

Quote from: Grumpy on May 17, 2007, 02:26:35 PM

Dep. CMDR for Seniors
Skyhawk Comp. Sqdrn 47

Welcome!!!!

It's good so see a "Brian" here amid the countless "Chucks," "Johns" and "Joes"!!!  ;D

Oh...and don't forget the "Mikes" of the world!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

ELTHunter

So, from the poll results, it looks like if you can make it for 10 or 12 years, you stay in for 20:)
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Dec 1969 to Sep 74 - Cadet,  Monrovia Composite Squadron 15, El Monte Composite Squadron 21 and West San Gabriel Valley Cadet Squadron 75, California Wing.

Sep 74 to Dec 1979 - Senior,  West San Gabriel Valley Cadet Squadron 75, California Wing

Eight year sanity break. ;D

Jan 87 to Mar 89 - Senior,  Offutt Cadet/Composite Squadron, Nebraska Wing
Mar 89 to Present - Senior,  Inland Empire Group 18, Corona Composite Squadron 29, Cable Composite Squadron 25, California Wing.

Yeah, you might say I've been here for a while. ;)

Grumpy

Yeah, I can relate Phil.  Same history except I started Squadron 15 in 1959 and joined the AF in 1963 for my sanity break.  I have a Certificate of Proficiency (the old cadet COP) signed by Curt LeMay.

Brian Billing, Maj, CAP
Squadron 47, Oceanside CA

Briski

I joined the Pathfinder Cadet Squadron (GLR-OH-288) in 2002. Transferred to the South Oakland Cadet Squadron (GLR-MI-073) a few months before turning 21 in February. I'll get that first clasp on my Red Service Ribbon this August and sacred bovine, does it feel like I've been in longer than that... :o
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

Chappie

Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

cap53

Started as a cadet at age 17 in Nov of 53.  Turned senior in July of 54.  Went on active duty with USAF Aug of 56 and kept up my membership.  Been a commander more times then I care to remember.Group Commander.  Current LG of both Wisconsin Wing and GLR.
Going on 55 years.  Talk about old.

Pylon

cap53

I meant 55 years in CAP.

Pylon

Quote from: cap53 on May 29, 2007, 08:02:06 PM
I meant 55 years in CAP.

:o   Wow.   Thanks for your service, sir!  That's awesome!

LTCRet

I joined CAP as a cadet in Michigan Wing in 1957 and retired two years ago while in Florida Wing. 

jspear

Lt. Col. Jack E. Spear, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson #280
Henderson Composite Squadron
PCR-NV-065
"Proudly serving since 1980"

Briski

I think it's incredible that almost 1/3 of the participants in this poll have 19+ years' worth of CAP experience. What a great resource this place is for the new kids!!

That said, I just checked the numbers and we have 941 members on these forums and only 112 have participated in this poll. My guess is it's top heavy with people who want to prove their credibility... you know, those who have the amount of experience people like me only wish we had. ;D
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

JamesG5223

Joined 1 Nov 1976.

Cadet:  1 Nov 1976 (Should have been August, but my paperwork "dissapeared" until November.)
Senior:  12 Sep 1982

No breaks in membership.

As of the posting of this note, I have been an active member of CAP for 30 years and 7.5 months, or 11,185 days.

James Garlough, Lt Col, CAP
Lt Col James Garlough, CAP

SAR-EMT1

Wonder what the record for CAP membership is...
Major Shaw, report to the thread, Major Shaw, please report to the thread.  :D We need you.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

BillB

Since there are still a few "sub-hunters" still in CAP after 60+ years, and since records have disappered over the years and the moves of CAP HQ. It would be hard to pinpoint the person with the longest membership.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

James Shaw

Longest concurrently serving member of Civil Air Patrol is Col. Ben Stone. He joined January 1 of 1942. He has been an active member the entire time. He currently resides in Marietta GA with his wife. He is 94 years old. He was Alan Shepards first ground school instructor and attends the GAWG meetings as the Planning Officer for Aircraft Maintenance. He servied in the Navy as a Flight Instructor, Was a member of the Civilian Pilot Training Program for the Air Force and still attends meetings almost every week. He has become a great friend and tells everyone I am his Son. He graduated from Parks Air College and has many THOUSANDS of hours in the air. His membership longevity was proven through his records and NHQ records. He still has his original 201 file from 1942 to 1975.

He is by far one of the Greatest Individuals I know.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

JC004

Quote from: caphistorian on June 17, 2007, 11:31:44 PM
Longest concurrently serving member of Civil Air Patrol is Col. Ben Stone. He joined January 1 of 1942. He has been an active member the entire time. He currently resides in Marietta GA with his wife. He is 94 years old. He was Alan Shepards first ground school instructor and attends the GAWG meetings as the Planning Officer for Aircraft Maintenance. He servied in the Navy as a Flight Instructor, Was a member of the Civilian Pilot Training Program for the Air Force and still attends meetings almost every week. He has become a great friend and tells everyone I am his Son. He graduated from Parks Air College and has many THOUSANDS of hours in the air. His membership longevity was proven through his records and NHQ records. He still has his original 201 file from 1942 to 1975.

He is by far one of the Greatest Individuals I know.

:o